Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds eligible for 2013 Competitive Balance Lottery picks.

Reds eligible for 2013 Competitive Balance Lottery picks.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...ticle_26059392

Competitive Balance Lottery to shake up Draft
    Small-market, low-revenue teams to get chance at extra picks

The lottery, it seems, has been designed to help small-market and lowest-revenue clubs gain more talent not just because they had a poor season. Many of the smaller-market clubs were proponents of a system with hard slotting. While that hasn't happened, this current system is designed, with this lottery a part of it, to give those clubs a competitive advantage compared to the status quo.

Teams eligible for '13 Lottery
    Arizona D-backs Baltimore Orioles
    Cleveland Indians Kansas City Royals
    Oakland Athletics Pittsburgh Pirates
    San Diego Padres Tampa Bay Rays
    Cincinnati Reds Colorado Rockies
    Miami Marlins Milwaukee Brewers
    St. Louis Cardinals

There is one other lottery, one for picks forfeited by teams going over their allotted bonus pools. Any team going five to 10 percent over its pool gets taxed at 75 percent and loses a first-round pick. Anyone going 10-15 percent over gets hit with a 100-percent tax and loses a first- and second-round pick. Anything over 15 percent means a 100-percent tax and loss of first-round selections in the next two Drafts.

Any of those forfeited picks would go into a separate lottery. Any team that did not exceed its pool will be in that lottery. In this one, though, the odds are not just based on winning percentage, but on a formula of revenue and winning percentage.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Competitive Balance Lottery to shake up Draft

First thought-how exactly does St. Louis qualify as a small-market or low-revenue team?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    First thought-how exactly does St. Louis qualify as a small-market or low-revenue team?
    St. Louis isn't much bigger than Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyHo4Life View Post
    They're just good.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

The city might not be, but they have a much bigger market out there. They're a midmarket team bordering on large. It's really a stretch putting them in the lottery with the smaller teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The city might not be, but they have a much bigger market out there. They're a midmarket team bordering on large. It's really a stretch putting them in the lottery with the smaller teams.
    St. Louis isn't even close to a large market team. Baltimore is probably twice the size of St. Louis. Now they are a stretch.

St. Louis isn't even close to a large market team. Baltimore is probably twice the size of St. Louis. Now they are a stretch.
    Cardinals had the 11th highest payroll in baseball last season at $109M, ahead of the Dodgers. They have always had one of the most lucrative tv/radio deals in baseball, and have always been one of the richest franchises.

If you give the Cardinals a lottery draft pick, you might as well as give the Dodgers a draft pick.

Beyond absurd.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cardinals had the 11th highest payroll in baseball last season at $109M, ahead of the Dodgers. They have always had one of the most lucrative tv/radio deals in baseball, and have always been one of the richest franchises.

If you give the Cardinals a lottery draft pick, you might as well as give the Dodgers a draft pick.

Beyond absurd.
    I didn't realize they were basing the lottery on payroll size. I thought it was based on the market size. Are you comparing the market size of St. Louis to LA?

I didn't realize they were basing the lottery on payroll size. I thought it was based on the market size. Are you comparing the market size of St. Louis to LA?
    It's based on market size and revenue. Payroll is pretty much determined by those two factors.

I would argue that Saint Louis is one of the top 5 markets in all of baseball.

NY
    LA
    Boston
    Chicago
    Saint Louis

Texas cities are bigger, but it's a football state.

Re: Reds eligible for 2013 Competitive Balance Lottery picks.

From what I've read, eligibility is the 10 smallest-market teams and the 10 lowest-revenue teams. Several teams are in both lists and are called crossover teams. Because of that, the final list is 13 teams.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ym...nt_id=26059392

These teams aren't eligible:

AL East - Yankees, Red Sox, Toronto,
    NL East- Philly, Atlanta, Mets, Nationals
    AL Central - Detroit, White Sox, Twins
    NL Central - Cubs, Astros
    AL West - Texas, Angels, Mariners
    NL West - Giants, Dodgers,
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Same thing I'd read, Roy.

I guess it depends on perspective. It seems absurd on its face to allow the World Series winner into a "competitive balance" lottery. At the same time, they are one of the ten smallest MLB markets. They do not have one of the ten lowest revenue streams. But if a team can raise its stature above its market due to smarts and winning, I guess I'd rather see that rewarded than punished. Odds are, I'd say Milwaukee is in the same place... and if we're lucky, one day Cincinnati will be.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

If the Cardinals are part of this lottery then they need to revamp their formula. A profitable team with a $109Mill payroll doesn't need MLB welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Beyond absurd.
    I guess I disagree.
    The Cardinals' market is roughly the size of Cincinnati.
    Sure, they are in an area of the country where their only close competition is the Royals, but they don't have a lot of large cities like Louisville, Columbus, Dayton, Lexington, etc to draw from (as far as I know, not an expert on the area).

Cincinnati has a potentially HUGE population base to draw from. In Marge's heydey, the Reds had one of the top 10 payrolls in all of baseball. No one ever said the Reds were a large market back then.

The Cardinals leveraged their new stadium and Mark McGwire and took their franchise to the next level. The Reds had a similiar opportunity (Jr and the GAB) and basically flushed it down the toilet with their short term thinking.

Honestly, the Cards are a model for how small markets should be run.
    I admire them greatly.I don't think they should be penalized for having a successful business plan (although I think team payroll might impact the lottery?? Not sure on that detail).
    The owners agreed the 13 smallest markets get into this lotto. St Louis qualifies.

Honestly though, this competive balance draft is really going to do nothing to improve competitive balance. This is just another bone thrown out, mainly for PR. So these teams can expect to get an extra draft pick roughly every other year.. that's not enough to really make a huge impact... Realistically.. if the club is smart, maybe they get another decent player out of their farm every 5 years or so?
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I guess I disagree.
    The Cardinals' market is roughly the size of Cincinnati.
    Sure, they are in an area of the country where their only close competition is the Royals, but they don't have a lot of large cities like Louisville, Columbus, Dayton, Lexington, etc to draw from (as far as I know, not an expert on the area).

Cincinnati has a potentially HUGE population base to draw from. In Marge's heydey, the Reds had one of the top 10 payrolls in all of baseball. No one ever said the Reds were a large market back then.

The Cardinals leveraged their new stadium and Mark McGwire and took their franchise to the next level. The Reds had a similiar opportunity (Jr and the GAB) and basically flushed it down the toilet with their short term thinking.

Honestly, the Cards are a model for how small markets should be run.
    I admire them greatly.I don't think they should be penalized for having a successful business plan (although I think team payroll might impact the lottery?? Not sure on that detail).
    The owners agreed the 13 smallest markets get into this lotto. St Louis qualifies.

Honestly though, this competive balance draft is really going to do nothing to improve competitive balance. This is just another bone thrown out, mainly for PR. So these teams can expect to get an extra draft pick roughly every other year.. that's not enough to really make a huge impact... Realistically.. if the club is smart, maybe they get another decent player out of their farm every 5 years or so?
    I've lived in both cities, and I can tell you that St. Louis is a significantly bigger city and baseball market than Cincinnati.

First off, St. Louis is at least a third bigger in population of the immediate metro area. It also is a much wealthier city. St. Louis is the home to 8 world headquarters, including Anheuser-Busch, McDonald Douglass, Monsanto, and Emerson Electric. Cincinnati has P&G.

As for the fan base outside of the cities, much of the Midwest was Cardinal country for most of the past century. Adding Atlanta, the Texas teams, the Twins cut into that a bit, but go to any small town in the midwest, southwest, and even the south, and you'll find plenty of Cardinal fans.

Like I said, Saint Louis is around the fifth largest baseball market in baseball and always has been. It has little to do with how smart they are run, but mostly to do with logistics.

Regardless, how can any team justify getting MLB welfare when it has offered a 9 year $200M contract, when it already has another player signed to 7 year $120M contract?

Beyond absurd.

You have to consider other variables.

Baltimore's market base is saturated with other teams.

Does St Louis have 4 other teams within 4 hour drive?

Turn Off Ads?