Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Rule V Draft Discussion Thread

2011 Rule V Draft Discussion Thread

This thread can serve as the discussion thread for the Rule V draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2011 Rule V Draft Discussion Thread

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m...issues/8467336

Can Cumberland return from concussion issues?

9 hours ago by JonPaulMorosi

This year’s Rule 5 draft could include a compelling comeback story.

San Diego Padres middle infield prospect Drew Cumberland was medically cleared within the last several days to resume his baseball career, after retiring earlier this season due to an inner-ear disorder and post-concussion effects.

Cumberland, who turns 22 next month, has enough service time to qualify for the Rule 5 draft. Because he was cleared to resume playing so recently, the Padres didn’t protect him on their major-league roster prior to the deadline last month.

Would Cumberland be worth a look to add to the Reds Middle Infield depth?

I could see us either taking a reliever, but that's about it. We have enough young, reasonably talented replacements at just about every position that I don't see us needing to take a chance on anybody. Most of our decent exposed guys are on the 40 man as well, so overall I don't see us being very active in Rule 5 once again.

For your perusal. A list of all the draft-eligible players. They rank their top 25. I am sure there might be a blip or two in here.

http://baseballnewshound.com/?p=1908

Reds will draft either 13th or 14th.
    If I can count correctly the Reds have a full 40-man roster. So at this point in time they can't make a selection unless they drop someone before the 8th.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-02-2011 at 10:54 PM.

The Phillies CF Jiwan James (23) looks like he could help the Reds outfield situation. He is Baseball Americas 9th ranked prospect for the Phillies.

This was the Newshound write up on him.

Converted from a pitcher to a full-time position player three years ago, James embodies raw five-tool prospect. His plus-plus runnings speed and arm strength make him a potential Gold Glove centerfielder, while his impressive hand-eye coordination and average raw power give him the tools to be a complete player in the big leagues. Still raw, he remains a bit of a project, but the twenty-two-year-old has done nothing but improve the past two seasons. If he can hone his plate discipline, he could develop in to an Adam Jones or Randy Winn-type centerfielder with value on both sides of the ball. Rebuilding clubs looking for a premium athlete with a strong arm and plenty of potential in all facets of the game will select James come draft day.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I could see us either taking a reliever, but that's about it. We have enough young, reasonably talented replacements at just about every position that I don't see us needing to take a chance on anybody. Most of our decent exposed guys are on the 40 man as well, so overall I don't see us being very active in Rule 5 once again.
    I imagine that we would rather just add Brad Boxberger to our roster than bring in someone else from the outside. Heck, with the type of guys who will be available (either guys lacking stuff, but solid numbers, or guys with good stuff but bad numbers), I doubt they would have left Josh Ravin off the roster if they were going to go on that kind of route.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I imagine that we would rather just add Brad Boxberger to our roster than bring in someone else from the outside. Heck, with the type of guys who will be available (either guys lacking stuff, but solid numbers, or guys with good stuff but bad numbers), I doubt they would have left Josh Ravin off the roster if they were going to go on that kind of route.
    He only had a few IP last year in AAA, and he's struggled in the past to make the transition to a new level. I think it might be wise to keep him there until at least the middle of the season or we have an injury.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    He only had a few IP last year in AAA, and he's struggled in the past to make the transition to a new level. I think it might be wise to keep him there until at least the middle of the season or we have an injury.
    Sure, but no one in the Rule 5 draft is going to be as close to as good or as ready as Boxberger is. Especially if they have any experience above Low A.

-The Insider-

There is a chance that Webb will be taken. I've had conversations with someone I know with another team who recommended that they take him. Not sure if they will or not, but there's a chance.

Are their any players that you think the Reds should select in the Rule V draft?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Are their any players that you think the Reds should select in the Rule V draft?
    I have only seen a full "list" of potential selectees once or twice and I don't know the draft order. If I knew all that I could do an analysis. However, the Reds' 40-man roster is set at 40 and today is the last day a team can outright someone in order to be able to draft someone in the Rule V Draft so the Reds won't be participating.

My favortite Rule 5 guy might be Nick Barnese a starting pitcher in Tampa Bay's organization. I just don't know how the Reds could keep him on the roster. I would have no worries about cutting loose of some one like Jordan Smith or Chris Valaika to make room (or better yet make a 3 for 1 deal to get a starting pitcher that makes room).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Dec. 1: Last day to request outright waivers to assign player prior to Rule 5 Draft
    Dec. 5: 5 p.m. ET is last time to outright a player prior to the Rule 5 Draft
    Not sure exactly what that means with there being two days, but it goes along with what I said on my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I have only seen a full "list" of potential selectees once or twice and I don't know the draft order. If I knew all that I could do an analysis. However, the Reds' 40-man roster is set at 40 and today is the last day a team can outright someone in order to be able to draft someone in the Rule V Draft so the Reds won't be participating.
    The Reds could trade someone on the 40 man roster for a player (or players) that don't need to be protected to free up space. For example, they could trade Janish for some low prospects. Am I right about that? I think they did something like that a few years ago, didn't they?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?