Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Rule V Draft Discussion Thread

-The Insider-

Re: 2011 Rule V Draft Discussion Thread

I don't see why not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What's ultimately involved, though, is the 25 man roster, and, as I see it, we've already got close to 30 guys who have credible shots to be on that 25 man. Assuming we carry 12 pitcher, the rule 5 guy has to be better not only than Fisher, Horst, Smith etc., but also better than one of the following: Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo, Leake, Wood, Volquez, Chapman, Masset, LeCure, Ondrusek, Bray, Arredondo.

Would the Phillies CF Jiwan James be worth a rule V pick? Would he be better than any of the current Outfielders?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Would the Phillies CF Jiwan James be worth a rule V pick? Would he be better than any of the current Outfielders?
    If the Reds were to deal say Stubbs, and a couple of prospects for a pitcher, then a guy like James as a 25th man while Sappelt gets more experience wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally, I'd like to see Stubbs, Masset and Volquez packaged with a prospect or two in order to get a starter and maybe a reliever. That would open a spot on the 40 man and maybe the 25 man. I'd be ok with Heisey in CF and a guy like James being a defensive caddie who comes in and plays CF with Heisey shifting to LF for Alonso in the late innngs. Of course, if they keep the current players there is no room.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If the Reds were to deal say Stubbs, and a couple of prospects for a pitcher, then a guy like James as a 25th man while Sappelt gets more experience wouldn't be a bad idea. Personally, I'd like to see Stubbs, Masset and Volquez packaged with a prospect or two in order to get a starter and maybe a reliever. That would open a spot on the 40 man and maybe the 25 man. I'd be ok with Heisey in CF and a guy like James being a defensive caddie who comes in and plays CF with Heisey shifting to LF for Alonso in the late innngs. Of course, if they keep the current players there is no room.
    Stubbs, Masset and Volquez would be a nice package.

Except if the GM Reds are dealing with is aware of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Stubbs, Masset and Volquez would be a nice package.

Except if the GM Reds are dealing with is aware of last season.
    I think Stubbs would still be in demand. He's a legit CF and teams are always looking for those. If the Reds didn't have Heisey and Sappelt, he'd be on my untouchable list and I'm lukewarm on the guy. Masset had a good year until he finally gave out and other teams might not worry as much about his arb case as the Reds might be while trying to cram the salary of the guy they get back into the budget. Volquez is merely an intriguing lottery ticket at this point.

As for the package, obviously a valued minor leaguer or two would need to be added (Grandal? Gregorious? Hamilton?) but they wouldn't have an impact on the 25 man roster, which is important where rule 5 is concerned, so I didn't really mention them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sheldon reports that Jeremy Horst cleared waivers and was sent outright to Triple-A Louisville. Horst will be invited to Spring Training. The 40-man roster is at 39 players, so there's a slot open now for whatever purpose needed.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

That almost makes you think they are going to grab someone.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Or that they are very close to signing a free agent.

That too, but on the day before the draft, I'm leaning there..... although I don't think Jocketty uses it much

I'm guessing Brackman, who's a free agent, not a Rule V guy.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    That too, but on the day before the draft, I'm leaning there..... although I don't think Jocketty uses it much
    The draft is Thursday.

What time is the rule V draft on Thursday? Will the draft be televised anywhere?

10am. Don't think there's any TV, but there is radio coverage on mlb.com.

Thanks Danny Serafini.

Turn Off Ads?