Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gammons says Upton in mix if Gregorius is

Gammons says Upton in mix if Gregorius is

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo

Clear 'Backs will lobbytalk Upton if Gregorius, Bogaerts, Simmons or Profar is avaliable, whivh none on, thus far
    If Gregorius is the linchpin of a deal for Upton from a Reds perspective, is there anyone here who would NOT pull the trigger? With Cozart already in place at SS, I deal Gregorius plus stuff for Upton every day of the week, as long as the stuff doesn't touch Hamilton or the ML starting roster / rotation. And I'd talk about Leake if they liked him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Gammons says Upton in mix if Gregorius is

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    If Gregorius is the linchpin of a deal for Upton from a Reds perspective, is there anyone here who would NOT pull the trigger? With Cozart already in place at SS, I deal Gregorius plus stuff for Upton every day of the week, as long as the stuff doesn't touch Hamilton or the ML starting roster / rotation. And I'd talk about Leake if they liked him.
    I think I proposed Leake/Gregorius for Upton sometime back. (Then again I've proposed a lot of deals for Upton, so that doesn't count for much.) It really does make sense for both clubs.

Hamilton
    Phillips
    Votto
    Upton
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Mesigan
    Cozart
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Just as long as Pokey Reese is off the table, I would send them Gregorius.

I'm not sure if I would do the trade or not, but let me play Devil's advocate.

Upton's OPS the last 5 years:
    816, 899, 799, 898, 785
    Signed through 2015 at 9.7 million, 14.2 million, 14.5 million

If we could get the 900 OPS version, it's a lot more attactive.
    He's going to be very expensive though in 2014-2015.. If he only can OPS around 800, that's a disaster. Upton's high price tag negates some of the advantage of his youth (He's going to be a FA at age 27-28)

The other option would be to keep Didi and just sign Ludwick.
    Ludwick hasn't exactly been Mr Consistency either, but we probably get him signed for a little bit less money and he doesn't cost us prospects.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Just as long as Pokey Reese is off the table, I would send them Gregorius.

Gregorius, Leake and one of Corcino/Cingrani for Upton. BOOM!

(Too bad Ludwick will likely sign today taking this opportunity off the table).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I'm not sure if I would do the trade or not, but let me play Devil's advocate.

Upton's OPS the last 5 years:
    816, 899, 799, 898, 785
    Signed through 2015 at 9.7 million, 14.2 million, 14.5 million

If we could get the 900 OPS version, it's a lot more attactive.
    He's going to be very expensive though in 2014-2015.. If he only can OPS around 800, that's a disaster. Upton's high price tag negates some of the advantage of his youth (He's going to be a FA at age 27-28)

The other option would be to keep Didi and just sign Ludwick.
    Ludwick hasn't exactly been Mr Consistency either, but we probably get him signed for a little bit less money and he doesn't cost us prospects.
    I know you are just playing devil's advocate, but last year aside, I think the Reds will rue the day they pick Ludwick over Justin Upton- especially for the next 3 years.
    Go BLUE!!!

When did Gregorius' trade value become even comparable to Profar?

I'm not sure how believable this report is. It would be hard to understand why Gregorious is valued that high with questions about his bat.

He is impressive at short though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I know you are just playing devil's advocate, but last year aside, I think the Reds will rue the day they pick Ludwick over Justin Upton- especially for the next 3 years.
    I'm hoping the Reds only have to give Ludwick 2 years.
    But we'll see how it plays out.
    Maybe I'm nuts, but I think in 2013, it's not clear cut who will put up the better numbers. Ludwick has a chance to match Upton, or be close.

It's nice to see Didi in such high demand (if Gammons is right).
    The Reds are going to be in a pretty nice position when they are going to be able to trade either Didi or Cozart.

The thing about Upton that makes me nervous is that the Reds need a true star if they are going to pay him 14+ million. Paying a LF that only OPSes 800 that much is a recipe for disaster.. I guess I'm not sure which Upton we'd end up getting.. There is some potential downside.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Seems like Gammons is having some difficulty typing on his smart phone. I feel his pain.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Would they also talk Upton if Cozart were available?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd prefer Fowler to Upton, but I think the asking price for Fowler will simply be too much. Ludwick and Upton may be comparible this year however with a trade of Upton LF is taken care of for a number of years and at a pretty reasonable price. With Ludwick in 2 or 3 years they'll be having to fill the position again. Can you imagine the excitement going into Redsfest this weekend with the addition of Upton?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    When did Gregorius' trade value become even comparable to Profar?
    I was sort of thinking the same thing. What prospect in baseball's trade value is comparable with Profar. Heck, Oscar Taveras might be the best pure hitting prospect in the minors right now but I would still take Profar even over my man crush for Taveras.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I'd prefer Fowler to Upton, but I think the asking price for Fowler will simply be too much.
    Wow. I'd really prefer Upton. Do you really think they'd ask more for Fowler than AZ would for Upton? If so, I'm not sure I know what color this sky is.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?