Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philips deal close?

Philips deal close?

Discussion on the ORG.Walt said he hopes to have something done within the week!If they can get Brandon signed for the next several years,we shore up the right side,as well as have the best double play tandem in the NL.Castellini and Jocketty will make a huge statement if we get Brandon locked up as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Philips deal close?

That would be fantastic news. Lets go Walt get it done!

4 years, 55 million seems reasonable to me. More than that is overpaying.

They might be close on money but they are not close on years

BP wants 6 or more years, Reds want 4 years for less

If they lock down every position long term what are they going to do the minor players knocking on the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    If they lock down every position long term what are they going to do the minor players knocking on the door?
    votto back loaded.

you have to spend more money tho.

and most have yrs to go

Thought he was looking for 5 years.I would offer 4 with a team option for the fifth.

MLB network feels Brandon should get a better deal then Uggla with the Braves got...not sure I agree at this point with whom we have in the minors...

Best news I've heard all week. I was afraid he would be sulking over Votto's contract. Establishing veterans in the system and then adding young talent is how you win titles. Aside from that, I would like to see Chapman as the closer and Heisey in center over Stubbs.

Per MLBTraderumors:

ESPN's Jim Bowden hears that the Reds offered Phillips a five-year deal in the "neighborhood" of $62.5-65MM

People need to get over the concern for the minor leaguers. If they don't need them they'll trade them for a position of need. They are assets, no one said that they have to be kept and played in the majors. The question is this is a Didi Gregorious or a Billy Hamilton in 2 or 3 years going to be better than what Brandon Phillips can give you? If you believe so then you don't offer as much and find a stop gap. If you don't believe so then you go after BP hard.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    ESPN's Jim Bowden hears that the Reds offered Phillips a five-year deal in the "neighborhood" of $62.5-65MM
    That is insane

BP is a career .272 who had a career year last season average wise

He will not repeat it and his speed & power are already declining at a rapid rate

Last 2 seasons he has averaged 15 SB with 11 CS

He has gone from a 30-30 man to a 18-16 man, basically he is half the man he use to be.

Yes his defense is amazing, but his production is only average

Last season he was (for 2nd basemen)
    10 in HR
    12 in SB
    11 in BB
    5th in R
    7th on OPS
    2nd in CS

He is very middle of the road with a bat, but wants Dan Uggla money. That is insane. No glove is worth 13 million and the bat would be easy to replace

DatDude is the 3rd best 2nd baseman in the entire league behind Cano and Pedroia. That bat that is so weak is our best option at leadoff, and the guy can hit anywhere in the lineup. I think his bat is plenty good enouph. The guy has been productive for a few years now. He deserves to get paid and actually wants to stay. I say give him the money he wants but for 4 years and a team option for a 5th. He puts people in the seats guys and is a fan and clubhouse favorite. Organizations want guys like that. He does more than just help this team on the field. You have to think about it that way too..IMO I kind of see him as the face of this franchise more so than Votto, at least at this point in time. Pay the Man!!!

Sorry. I gues you could put him 4th best behind Cano, Pedroia, and Kinsler but all them are from the A.L. and I think hes better than Uggla
    Last edited by DGullett35; 04-06-2012 at 03:58 AM.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedLeg View Post
    Per MLBTraderumors:
    Whan has Leatherpants been right?
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I agree with the earlier comment. Nothing over 4 years. 5 is pushing it. BP is worth a little extra. His bat may not have the power but he is an everyday consistant ballplayer. Solid at everything he does. Plus he is a good leader.

Turn Off Ads?