Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

Re: Reds rumors

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    It's somewhat slim consolation, but here are their wOBAs vs. Left-Handed pitching over the last two years:

Ludwick: .297
    Ankiel: .247
    Heisey: .245

As long as they're looking at Ludwick as a potential platoon partner for Heisey, he might not be a disastrous acquisition.
    I'm not sure Dusty is the platooning type. If Gomes' use is any indication, the vet will play the bulk of games- vs RHP or LHP.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brandon Webb started throwing again in late December and his arm is “strong and loose,” according to his agent. Webb signed with the Rangers last offseason, but didn't pitch at the Major League level and underwent right shoulder surgery in the summer. He hasn't appeared in an MLB game since April of 2009
    Reds should kick the tires on this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Reds should kick the tires on this guy.
    No thanks.

But I will be thrilled if mlbtraderumors is right about the Reds being in serious contract talks with Ryan Madson.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    No thanks.

But I will be thrilled if mlbtraderumors is right about the Reds being in serious contract talks with Ryan Madson.
    I can see your point. You certainly don't want to have a pitcher who won the Cy Young Award and finished second twice AND has the 11th best ERA+ of all time in your organization. Not to mention that he is an extreme ground balls, which always plays well in GABP, and is a semi-local product. Not with all the excellent starting pitching the Reds currently possess (last in the league in 2011 for starting pitching).

More than likely he is going to get a minimal salary loaded with incentives. If he doesn't pan out a team isn't going to be out much money.

Is he a risk? Yes. Is he an acceptable risk? Absolutely.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.

I can see your point. You certainly don't want to have a pitcher who won the Cy Young Award and finished second twice AND has the 11th best ERA+ of all time in your organization. Not to mention that he is an extreme ground balls, which always plays well in GABP, and is a semi-local product. Not with all the excellent starting pitching the Reds currently possess (last in the league in 2011 for starting pitching).

More than likely he is going to get a minimal salary loaded with incentives. If he doesn't pan out a team isn't going to be out much money.

Barry Zito won a Cy Young. I am sure he can be had for nothing.

Sorry, not trying to a smart aleack. I loved Webb, but he is done.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Barry Zito won a Cy Young. I am sure he can be had for nothing.

Sorry, not trying to a smart aleack. I loved Webb, but he is done.
    Of course, nobody mentioned acquiring Barry Zito either. And Barry Zito not being able to pitch effectively has zero relevance when discussing Brandon Webb. So bringing him up is rather pointless.

All you are really saying is that he is done without offering up any evidence to substantiate that.

Here is from MLBTR:

Brandon pitched for the first time competitively (in 17 months) in September and October in three instructional games. The first game, Webb threw 80% and was 78-80 mph. The second game Webb was closer to 90% and was 81-83, and the third game, Webb, still laying back a bit, was 81-85. The reality is that Brandon showed good pitchability (he had strong movement on his signature sinker, plus plus change, and plus breaking ball). What he also had was some rust on location. Brandon's velocity is of very little concern to those that watch a lot of games. His arm strength is indeed coming back, and honestly, he pitched at 87-90 all of 2008 (when he won 22 games) and that is only 2-5 mph off where he was in October. Brandon's surgeon, Dr. Keith Meister, fully expects him to prepare at a normal pace to be ready when camp opens in February, for whomever signs him. Brandon is hungry, excited, and ready to start 30 plus times in 2011. There is nothing to indicate he won't, with all the work he has put in and his consistent offseason workout program.
    Also frm MLBTR:

The Dodgers, Pirates, Twins, and Rangers are interested in free agent righty Brandon Webb, tweets ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. He adds that we should not rule out the Nationals, Reds, and Cardinals.
    Seems like some people in baseball think he can still pitch.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.

I would like to see Webb given a shot. I would think as an Ashland, KY native he would strogly consider the Reds as possible "rehab team" if the money is similiar.

Jon Heyman tweeting that the Reds are still looking for an INF and OF. He says they are "in" on Theriot with the Rays and Astros, and that Ludwick makes sense for the Reds

I was not sure where to post this but Clubhouse Confidential is about the Reds team tonight.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/shows/?id=25775158
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I'm with you on this, Dave. I mentioned in an earlier thread that he would at least, be worth taking a look. He's a semi-local guy (both home and college), which may or may not help in signing him. But, if he checks out, offer him a low-risk deal w/incentives. With all the upgrades the Reds have made, it might just be attractive to him.

Of course, nobody mentioned acquiring Barry Zito either. And Barry Zito not being able to pitch effectively has zero relevance when discussing Brandon Webb. So bringing him up is rather pointless.

All you are really saying is that he is done without offering up any evidence to substantiate that.

Here is from MLBTR:

Also frm MLBTR:

Seems like some people in baseball think he can still pitch.
    These quotes from MLBTR are from last offseason. That said, if a minor league deal with a spring training invite gets it done, bring him on. No way I'd give him a major league deal. Texas wasted $3 million on him last offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    These quotes from MLBTR are from last offseason. That said, if a minor league deal with a spring training invite gets it done, bring him on. No way I'd give him a major league deal. Texas wasted $3 million on him last offseason.
    My bad. Note to self: Always look at the dates on the articles.

I think Webb would be an interesting gamble, but with the "all-in" mentality the organization has taken for the 2012 year... not sure he fits in.

Before re-signing with the Cubs, Kerry Wood agreed to a deal with another club and was preparing for his physical when the Cubs swooped in according to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago. Levine hears that the Reds were most interested in Wood before he re-signed with Chicago, but it's unclear if they're the team he had the agreement with.
    From MLBTR. Interesting.

From MLBTR. Interesting.
    It would certainly make sense.

I'm guessing that Kerry Wood was Walt's contingency plan if the deal for Madson didn't materialize and may explain why the deal for Madson came together so quickly.

Turn Off Ads?