Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

Reds rumors

Thought we could use this as a "catch all" for Reds trade rumors similar to the one on ORG.

According to Buster Olney twitter account: "Reds are said to be talking about a lot of trade possibilities... Offering a whole range of players."

I wonder what Walt has up his sleeve.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds rumors

The Reds remain interested in Octavio Dotel, and Francisco Cordero is unlikely to return. In other reliever news, the Twins are expected to sign Matt Capps, so that's another potential closer off the board.

Jon Heyman via twitter: "reds very interested in Jair Jurrjens. Seek no.2 starter. 10 teams involved."

This staff does not need another guy that throws his fastball around 89-90. Or another injury risk. Jurrjens is both. Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Jon Heyman via twitter: "reds very interested in Jair Jurrjens. Seek no.2 starter. 10 teams involved."

This staff does not need another guy that throws his fastball around 89-90. Or another injury risk. Jurrjens is both. Yuck!
    It looks like he has missed about 10 starts in each of the past two seasons. Sweet. Bring him aboard. Another question mark. I guess if you assemble enough question marks some of them have to pan out.

the reds sure love question marks.

I hope we do nothing.

The only things of value we have we need, or are not willing to trade...and it takes things of value & a willingness to trade them.

Shipping future impact hitters in a pitching dominated league is pure stupidity.

If we could get a #2 starter for Alonzo...I would consider it......as it stands...all we can get for Alonzo is what we already have.

I hope we do nothing. I want to put the pressure on our pathetic manager to perform with what he has.

The talent is already in place. the leadership at the major league level to get that talent to perform isn't.

What we need is a guy who gives up HR/9 - .8; WHIP - 1.25; avg WAR of 2.1 and a Career ERA of 3.40 plus someone who is relatively young, say 25 (almost 26).

This pitching staff need less questions. It is time Walt and company found some answers.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    What we need is a guy who gives up HR/9 - .8; WHIP - 1.25; avg WAR of 2.1 and a Career ERA of 3.40 plus someone who is relatively young, say 25 (almost 26).
    Of course if that guy is gonna miss 10 starts a year the Reds don't need him all that badly, considering his WAR in those two seasons has been 1.2 and 1.5 respectively.

He is about to get expensive and can he stay healthy? Some serious risk attached.

One thing that really troubles me is if he is all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips, then why are the Braves so anxious to move him?
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    This pitching staff need less questions. It is time Walt and company found some answers.
    What do we have that we net us a top of the rotation starter?

What...you want to clear out the young talent for a 12 game winner?

Our ace last year missed 10 starts. Our #3 missed more. Our #5-6 basically sucked. Our only pitcher who didn't miss a start was quite possibly the worst pitcher in the majors. Jurrjen's stats in 2011 were basically Cueto's with a better record and a slightly higher ERA.

The Braves are notorious to know when to let their pitchers go but they have probably the best group of young pitchers coming up in Tehran, Vizcaino, Delgado, Minor, Beachy, Hanson plus Jurrjens and Hudson so this might be a time where they are really trying to get rid of their surplus to fill a weakness. Just playing devil's advocate here not really pushing hard for him, but also not saying no immediately.

I never said that I want to give away talented young talent like Alonso. I was just saying that I don't want Jair Jurrjens. I don't think the way to improve our roster is to trade said talent to the Braves for an injury risk like Jurrjens. This roster as constructed will not win, there are simply too many question marks. I would like some answers to those question marks. One way to do that would be to trade young unproven talent for proven major league talent. The Reds cannot compete on the free agent market, so the only way to improve the ballclub would be through trade or development of the talent you have on the roster. I think we constantly over value our talent because we look at everything with rose colored glasses. We THINK Yonder Alonso will be good, but we don't know that he will be good. You have to take risks if you are the Reds. I am tired of the Reds being ok with mediocrity. I want a winner, I was five when the Reds last won the World Series, I was too young to remember. I want a title so bad I can taste it. If that means we have to push in all of our "chips," and make a serious run every 3-5 years then that is ok by me. Because a winner every 5 years is better than not having won jack sh*$ the last twenty one years. So yes, I want Walt to at least make an attempt at winning this damn thing, even if it means parting ways with young, cheap talent.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It looks like he has missed about 10 starts in each of the past two seasons. Sweet. Bring him aboard. Another question mark. I guess if you assemble enough question marks some of them have to pan out.
    Fortunately, MLBTR is reporting there are ten teams interested in Jurrjens, so I can't imagine the Reds will actually be the winner in the Jair sweepstakes. After all, we don't exactly match up well with Atlanta as trade partners: They have Freeman at first and McCann catching, so they can't have a whole lot of interest in our top prospects.

If the options are stand pat or trade for Jurrjens, then I would opt for the trade. That being said, if there are 10 teams interested the Reds aren't going to get him cheaply. I would just like a little more certainty. It's early and hopefully Walt chooses wisely and things shake out in the Reds favor this winter.

7:58pm: MLB.com's Mark Sheldon hears from a source that the Reds' interest in Jurrjens has been overblown, and that Cincinnati doesn't appear to be going hard after the right-hander.

Turn Off Ads?