Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Reds rumors

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    he is useless another baker/jocketty retread
    0.314 OBP last year (0.330 career OBP).

Sugar in the gas tank: Toothpick will lead him off every game he can.

All in for 2012!
    Last edited by malcontent; 01-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The A's have agreed to sign Coco Crisp to a two-year, $14MM deal that includes a club option for 2014, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The news ends 24 hours of rumors and speculation about Crisp's destination. He decided to return to Oakland yesterday, despite interest from the Orioles, Cubs, Cardinals and many other teams.
    2 years, 14 million!

Billy Beane - Super Genius!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    2 years, 14 million!

Billy Beane - Super Genius!
    My Gawd, what an awful deal.

Unless he has to triple what the offer should be to get anybody to sign with Oakland, that is.

At least he kept Jocketty from making another huge mistake.

Multiple teams remain interested in signing free agent closer Francisco Cordero and agent Bean Stringfellow is discussing multiyear deals at least one of them, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. The Reds remain interested, but Cincinnati GM Walt Jocketty says he isn’t prepared to guarantee more than one year."We're looking at one year or one year with an option," Jocketty said. "That's all it could be, right now."
    Reds are offering one year. Coco, please take the multiyear deal.

However, his average fastball velocity dropped to 93 mph and peripheral stats such as xFIP (4.14) and SIERA (3.91) suggest his 2.45 ERA may be artificially low.
    I don't want this to be verified at the Reds' expense.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-03-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Since Oakland is in (continuous) rebuild mode why would they waste 14 million on Coco Crisp? Save your money and instead of selling Jai Miller to the Orioles, stick him out in CF and see if you have anything there.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Bean Stringfellow...

One MLB executive suggested to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that the Cubs and Blue Jays may prefer to pass on Prince Fielder, since Joey Votto projects to hit free agency two years from now when both Chicago and Toronto could have stronger teams.
    Ouch.

Ouch.
    Like that wasn't obvious! Not to mention the Cardinals will have Beltran and Berkman off the payroll. Dodgers and Mets should be out of financial downfall! Seattle again could be looking to make a splash; Texas would be interested; Youkilis and Ortiz will be gone from BoSox; Konerko will be gone from ChiSox; Washington might be the in on Fielder but if they miss they will be in the position to go after him because Harper will be up and all their arms will be primed! If he doesn't sign an extension by the all-star break there is no chance he stays.

I like the trades we have made to try and win now but I would have preferred to trade Votto this offseason and fill other holes with his return and financial ability. I think we still could have won the division without Votto but I am glad to see they are being proactive with him!

According to writer Kevin Goldstein, the Reds have signed P.J. Phillps - younger brother of Brandon.P.J. Phillips (.254/.297/.389) has never made it past A-ball in six seasons in the Angels farm system. He was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2005 MLB June Amateur Draft.

Maybe that is part of BP's extension!

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Maybe that is part of BP's extension!
    If that works I'll drink to it!

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The Reds are looking for depth in left field, and though they maintain some interest in Cody Ross, they haven't had discussions about Johnny Damon, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com. GM Walt Jocketty acknowledged interest in Rick Ankiel and Ryan Ludwick, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. The agent for Kosuke Fukudome called the team as well.

Left fielder Chris Heisey hit 18 homers and posted a .797 OPS in 2011, but the Reds have just four outfielders on their 40-man roster and will likely add depth before Opening Day. They traded outfield options Yonder Alonso and Dave Sappelt in recent deals for pitching.

The Mets and Nationals have been linked to Ankiel this offseason, while the Athletics and Giants have been linked to Ludwick. This is the first we've heard of Fukudome since the regular season ended.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 01-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Seems like that would be a case of spending money just to spend money. Got to get that Veteran Creaminess on board though.

Combined 2010-2011 WAR:

Code:
    NAME       PA     WAR
    HEISEY    534     3.2
    LUDWICK   1111    2.3
    ANKIEL    554     1.9
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-05-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Seems like that would be a case of spending money just to spend money. Got to get that Veteran Creaminess on board though.

Combined 2010-2011 WAR:

Code:
    NAME       PA     WAR
    HEISEY    534     3.2
    LUDWICK   1111    2.3
    ANKIEL    554     1.9
    It's somewhat slim consolation, but here are their wOBAs vs. Left-Handed pitching over the last two years:

Ludwick: .297
    Ankiel: .247
    Heisey: .245

As long as they're looking at Ludwick as a potential platoon partner for Heisey, he might not be a disastrous acquisition.

I like the idea of adding Ludwig. Could put up some nice numbers in GABP and would add a veteran presence to our young outfielders. IMO he has far more potential upside that Cody Ross or Ankiel.

Turn Off Ads?