Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

Re: Reds rumors

The Reds may have made all of their significant offseason moves now that they have agreed to terms with Dioner Navarro and Ryan Ludwick. Here are some details on the team via Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

GM Walt Jocketty said he signed Navarro “purely for depth” at Triple-A.
    Jocketty doesn’t expect to sign Dmitri Young, the former Reds outfielder/first baseman who is looking to make a comeback at age 38 after losing 70 pounds. The Reds are looking to see what some of their younger players can do in Spring Training.
    Before agreeing to terms with Ludwick, Jocketty said Rick Ankiel was in the mix for an outfield job with the club, according to Groeschen.
    The Reds are “working on” a deal with Jose Arredondo, Jocketty said. The first-time arbitration eligible right-hander appears to be nearing a two-year contract with the club.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds may have made all of their significant offseason moves now that they have agreed to terms with Dioner Navarro and Ryan Ludwick. Here are some details on the team via Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

GM Walt Jocketty said he signed Navarro “purely for depth” at Triple-A.
    Jocketty doesn’t expect to sign Dmitri Young, the former Reds outfielder/first baseman who is looking to make a comeback at age 38 after losing 70 pounds. The Reds are looking to see what some of their younger players can do in Spring Training.
    Before agreeing to terms with Ludwick, Jocketty said Rick Ankiel was in the mix for an outfield job with the club, according to Groeschen.
    The Reds are “working on” a deal with Jose Arredondo, Jocketty said. The first-time arbitration eligible right-hander appears to be nearing a two-year contract with the club.
    If the Navarro and Ludwick signings were the other shoe everyone was waiting for Walt to drop this week, color me blah.
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-17-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Well let's get Keppinger for couple mil and be finished.

And still have a few mil for later.

Ok Ok Ok go with Frazier then,save the extra money till half way thru Spring Training then get someone if needed.
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 01-17-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If I was Walt I would just hold on to the extra money and see what he can come up with at the trade deadline. No use in spending it just to spend it.

Kool that is true.

Reds reliever Bill Bray announced that his agents at Octagon finished his deal.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If the Navarro and Ludwick signings were the other shoe everyone was waiting for Walt to drop this week, color me blah.
    Agreed...more like a baby's sock dropped.

The Reds avoided arbitration by signing the following players to 1-year contracts through the 2012 season today
    * RHP Homer Bailey (9-7, 4.43 ERA in 2011)
    * LHP Bill Bray (5-3, 2.98 ERA)
    * IF Paul Janish (.214 BA, .259 OBP, .262 SLG)

Relievers Jose Arredondo and Nick Masset are the only remaining Reds players eligible for arbitration.

Rumor has it they are working on a two-year deal with Arredondo.

Regarding a report from CBSSports.com that pitcher Jose Arredondo is about to sign a two-year deal, Jocketty said:
    “We’re still working on it. We’re trying to do that if we can. We have to file our arbitration numbers tomorrow.”

So that would only leave Masset. Walt is tying up the loose ends. I wonder where the Phillips' contract extension stands?
    Last edited by texasdave; 01-18-2012 at 02:33 AM.

I found this Jocketty quote to be curious. It was made before the signing of Ludwick. At the time the Reds only had Heisey, Stubbs and Bruce as certain 25-man roster outfield certainties.

Jocketty said former Reds OF/INF Dmitri Young, who hope to make a comeback at age 38, probably will not be signed to a minor league deal.
    ”I don’t think so. I talked to Dmitri about it. We have a large number of players coming to training camp, and it takes away playing time from some of our younger guys.”
    So many outfield bodies (a sum total of three) that they couldn't take a look at Da Meat Hook? And, aside from possibly Phipps, who are all these young outfield prospects that Young would be stealing valuable Spring Training time from?

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

We talking about Webb still? I love the idea, but without seeing a session or two I haven't a clue if he's still got anything. At this point his agent made the only comment on his behalf I think, saying he's strong. Jeff Francis is someone who is available if we want a starter who yields ground balls. Lefty too. File this under useless information.

As far as the quote above I don't get it either. Maybe Walt was putting the cart ahead of the horse, assuming he was signing someone, anyone, and that they would be there come camp time. Basically, you're too old.

Good for Dmitri though. Last I heard I think he was busted on drug charges.. maybe the weight loss solution he was looking for? but good luck to him, he was my favorite player on many of our reds teams, minus larkin.
    Last edited by Reds; 01-18-2012 at 04:21 AM.

I was thinking we would sign Theriot but after reading these comments it looks like were done spending. Frazier or Janish for the 25th spot on the roster. id go with Frazier. guy can play multiple positions other than SS.

Fred Lewis finds a home, signing with that other team from Ohio. From MLBTR: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Indians announced that they signed outfielder Fred Lewis to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training. Lewis has a track record of success against left-handed pitching (.780 career OPS), so he could prove useful in the Indians' lefty-heavy lineup.Lewis posted a .230/.321/.317 line in 210 plate appearances last year, but he spent time on the disabled list with a strained right oblique muscle. The 31-year-old played both corner outfield positions for the Reds, who signed him for $900K. Lewis elected free agency in the fall after the Reds outrighted him off of their roster.

Man I wish Toronto would hurry up and sign Prince Fielder.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    I was thinking we would sign Theriot but after reading these comments it looks like were done spending. Frazier or Janish for the 25th spot on the roster. id go with Frazier. guy can play multiple positions other than SS.
    Janish has also played 2B and 3B when Phillips and Rolen have gone down, and he's shown that if nothing else, he can pick it. He seems like the kind of player you want in that final spot.

Plus, he's your emergency long man!

Janish should be kept 100 miles from Cincinnati - in Louisville. If Cozart is injured and must miss two or more games, bring him up and live with his good glove - no bat qualities. If Cozart just has to leave a game or miss a game then stick Frazier or Cairo in his spot. Chances are the better bat will offset the average fielding for that short time.

There is no upside to keeping him on the bench daily compared to their other options.

Turn Off Ads?