Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Re: Reds rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Jeff Francis is someone who is available if we want a starter who yields ground balls. Lefty too. File this under useless information.
    Rumor has it we're keeping an eye on Francis. Could someone explain why to me?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Rumor has it we're keeping an eye on Francis. Could someone explain why to me?
    Behind Cueto, Latos, Leake, Bailey, Arroyo, and Chapman (a huge wild card), the Reds don't have many advanced pitching prospects who can provide depth. Sam Lecure, Matt Klinker, and Sean Gallagher may well be the next three guys on the depth chart. That's not a very exciting group.

Francis has had a couple decent years in the past and could be cheap insurance if he'll take a minor league deal. I wouldn't bother getting worked up over it. If he signs, it'll be purely a depth move.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    Janish should be kept 100 miles from Cincinnati - in Louisville. If Cozart is injured and must miss two or more games, bring him up and live with his good glove - no bat qualities. If Cozart just has to leave a game or miss a game then stick Frazier or Cairo in his spot. Chances are the better bat will offset the average fielding for that short time.

There is no upside to keeping him on the bench daily compared to their other options.
    Absolutely disagree! Janish is a valuable asset. I want him on the roster to make game saving defensive plays in the late innings. Frazier hasn't shown enough ability to hit at this level to award him the 25th spot. Keep him in Lou until an outfielder or infielder gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Absolutely disagree! Janish is a valuable asset. I want him on the roster to make game saving defensive plays in the late innings. Frazier hasn't shown enough ability to hit at this level to award him the 25th spot. Keep him in Lou until an outfielder or infielder gets hurt.
    Cozart is maybe just a tick below Janish in terms of defensive ability. No reason to waste a roster spot on a defensive backup for a guy who is a very capable defender himself.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    I want him (Janish) on the roster to make game saving defensive plays in the late innings...
    In place of who?

He's a complete waste as a PH. I would much rather run Arroyo or Leake out there to PH. Frazier is much more valuable on a day to day basis.

The Rays reportedly have interest in Edgar Renteria for a bench spot.
    MLBTR reports that ex-Red Edgar Renteria may land in Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRV View Post
    In place of who?

He's a complete waste as a PH. I would much rather run Arroyo or Leake out there to PH. Frazier is much more valuable on a day to day basis.
    I agree completely, Frazier is not only a better hitter but his versitility would make him much more valuable.

Looks like the Reds have traded for Wilson Valdez (MLBTR). Is he any better than Janish? His stats are not impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I agree completely, Frazier is not only a better hitter but his versitility would make him much more valuable.
    Frazier is the guy for his bat by a huge margin. When it comes to versatility though, Janish can virtually play anywhere, including as mop-up pitcher, which he has actually done!

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Frazier is the guy for his bat by a huge margin. When it comes to versatility though, Janish can virtually play anywhere, including as mop-up pitcher, which he has actually done!
    janish plays 4 spots including mop up duty, Frazier on the other hand played 6 positions(1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF,RF), 7 counting DHing on off days, last season in louisville and at all times he has 6 gloves in his locker. I see frazier as more versital than janish as well as having a better bat while i will give janish an edge with the glove.

Well, the thing about these trade rumors is that they are just that, rumors,
    some of which make sense and some of which sound rather far-fetched.

The Pirates are said to be dangling pitchers such as Mark Redman, Kip Wells,
    Josh Fogg and Ian Snell as trade bait and are looking for help at 3B, LF and RF.
    So naturally, rumors will fly - the Reds would seem to have a spare outfielder
    or two to deal, and are in need of pitching help. DanO has come right out and
    said he's willing to deal with a team in the Reds' division, but are the other
    teams in the division willing to deal with division rivals?

Another rumor has Kearns or Pena going to the Cardinals - but I don't see the
    Cardinals trading away pitching after their pursuit of A.J. Burnett - they seem
    to be looking to add a starter, not deal one. And again, are the Cardinals
    willing to deal with another team in their own division, even if the Reds are?

One statement DanO made that I found interesting was this:

"I don't think you can focus on the outfield situation, because at this point
    there are a number of different avenues with our position players that are
    available to us," O'Brien said. "It's basically a matter of looking at what
    would bring us the best possible package of talent in return. Whether or not
    that involves an outfielder remains to be seen. ... Sometimes you've got to have
    flexibility in considering moving people around the diamond to different
    positions."

I feel like I am in a time warp.

Once again from MLBTR:

Reds GM Walt Jocketty said he hopes to lock Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips up long-term, even though doing so would require major commitments, MLB.com youth correspondent Meggie Zahneis reports. "Everyone has to understand that these are expensive deals and there is only so much we can do," Jocketty said. An extension for Votto would likely require one of the largest deals in MLB history.
    Hell just might freeze over if this happens.

Scott Kazmir intends to pitch in 2012, but his fastball velocity is in the 84-85 mph range. The 28-year-old appeared in one game for the Angels last year and they released him after a rough stretch at Triple-A.
    MLBTR.

Might want to cross Scott Kazmir and his mid-80s fastball off the list.

My best estimate has the Reds almost $2M in payroll above where they were last season. A $5M increase over 2011 gives the Reds about $3M left to work with. Based on how much of Ryan Madson's contract counts toward the 2012 budget, they could have several million more. It's still probably not enough to sign Roy Oswalt without clearing out a little salary by trade.

Turn Off Ads?