Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

Re: Reds rumors

Hopefully I can eat crow later this week but this is what we will hear by the weekend. Walt-We were in on many deals but just couldnt get it worked out. We still have all off-season to get it worked out though. Then come Spring Training Walt- We were close to making some big deals but they just didnt pan out. Then we will sign 80 year old William Shatner to be our shortstop/left fielder. In August when we are 14 games out we will wonder why yet again our front office did nothing. Will the Reds ever have an owner with deep pockets? If you can't afford to improve your team then sell it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    Hopefully I can eat crow later this week but this is what we will hear by the weekend. Walt-We were in on many deals but just couldnt get it worked out. We still have all off-season to get it worked out though. Then come Spring Training Walt- We were close to making some big deals but they just didnt pan out. Then we will sign 80 year old William Shatner to be our shortstop/left fielder. In August when we are 14 games out we will wonder why yet again our front office did nothing. Will the Reds ever have an owner with deep pockets? If you can't afford to improve your team then sell it.
    I doubt it. The Reds are going to come out with a closer at least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    You may be right but if we lost a fairly decent closer and then got a fairly decent closer where did the team improve? I guess financially but if they dont do anything with the extra money where did it get us?

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The Reds haven't ruled out the suggestion that Volquez himself could be a potential closer option. Although he displayed command issues in a disappointing 2011, he can throw 97 mph and has a strong variety of pitches.

"We've talked about it, kicked it around," Jocketty said. "It could be an alternative. The other thing we have discussed is internal candidates. He could possibly be one."

Looks like the Reds are talking to the Rays about trading Yonder Alonso. MLBTR says the Rays will listen on James Shields, so what do you think: Alonso+ to the Rays for Shields? Is there any way the Reds can put together a package appealing enough for Shields?

The Reds and Rays match up perfectly for a trade. The Reds have tons of young talented position players, and the Rays have lots of young talented pitching. If the Reds do include Alonso in a Shields/Davis deal, do they then go get a bat to play left, or is the job Heisey's? My guess is that nothing happens and I slip further into depression bordering mania.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    The Reds and Rays match up perfectly for a trade. The Reds have tons of young talented position players, and the Rays have lots of young talented pitching. If the Reds do include Alonso in a Shields/Davis deal, do they then go get a bat to play left, or is the job Heisey's? My guess is that nothing happens and I slip further into depression bordering mania.
    I'd say the job goes to Heisey, simply because some of the cheaper OF options (such as David DeJesus) have already come off the market, and some of the other options (like Willingham) aren't necessarily much better than Heisey.

The Red Sox, however, are apparently interested in trading Josh Reddick. If the Reds do acquire Shields, they might then be able to trade one of their surplus starters to the Sox and try Reddick as a LF option.

I like Heisey more than I like Reddick. I am probably the most outspoken advocate of bringing in Willingham, I really like his bat in between Votto and Bruce. But if we bring in an arm like big game James I really don't see us adding any more payroll.

Looks like Street to Padres for a PTBNL per rotoworld

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    I like Heisey more than I like Reddick. I am probably the most outspoken advocate of bringing in Willingham, I really like his bat in between Votto and Bruce. But if we bring in an arm like big game James I really don't see us adding any more payroll.
    I agree that Willingham is a quality player, but I think you're right about payroll being the main issue prohibiting the Reds from pursuing him.

As for Heisey vs. Reddick, it's hard to compare the two given that neither one has really gotten a consistent shot to play in the majors. The stats from their relatively small ML sample sizes seem to indicate Reddick has an edge on defense, while Heisey has significantly more power. Both of them also seem to have had a bit more ML success than you might expect from their minor league numbers, and so I wonder if either one will be able to sustain their performance over the course of, say, a full season .

They should have just held these Winter Meetings in Miami. I am still waiting for all the free agents the Reds promised if they got a new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    They should have just held these Winter Meetings in Miami. I am still waiting for all the free agents the Reds promised if they got a new stadium.
    Forgot about Eric Milton? The Reds never promised free agents.

Forgot about Eric Milton? The Reds never promised free agents.
    They promised to be competitive. I guess one year out of nine qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    They promised to be competitive. I guess one year out of nine qualifies.
    The Reds promised to rebuild with prospects and use some of the "extra" cash to pull in a vet or two to fill the remaining hole.

The fact is, the Reds farm system didn't produce squat except for Adam Dunn. They wasted money on broken down players like Griffey/Larkin. They couldn't find talent for the life of them outside one fluke. Then they overpaid Sean Casey. The Reds overpaid fluffness for years on a limited budget.

The Reds in 2005 did the same thing the Marlins are doing this year. Adjust for the year, I suspect the Marlins and 2005 Reds payroll will average about the same(Marlins are targetting 100 million, which was is probably comparable to the Reds 63 million in 2005 when adjusted).

But we only got one bad contract because Griffey and Casey had the others.

The Reds promised to rebuild with prospects and use some of the "extra" cash to pull in a vet or two to fill the remaining hole.

The fact is, the Reds farm system didn't produce squat except for Adam Dunn. They wasted money on broken down players like Griffey/Larkin. They couldn't find talent for the life of them outside one fluke. Then they overpaid Sean Casey. The Reds overpaid fluffness for years on a limited budget.

The Reds in 2005 did the same thing the Marlins are doing this year. Adjust for the year, I suspect the Marlins and 2005 Reds payroll will average about the same(Marlins are targetting 100 million, which was is probably comparable to the Reds 63 million in 2005 when adjusted).

But we only got one bad contract because Griffey and Casey had the others.
    Wrong. They promised to remain competitive.

Talk of a baseball-only stadium for the Reds ignited in August 1993, when General Manager Jim Bowden emerged from a baseball owners meeting to say the Reds needed their own stadium to stay on equal financial footing with other Major League Baseball teams. The Bengals were making similar noises at the time, with team owner Mike Brown threatening to consider moving his team to another city if he didn't get a new stadium.
    Both teams complained that Riverfront Stadium (later Cinergy Field) lacked the amenities other teams were tapping in newer stadiums - such as high-priced luxury suites and club seats and lucrative deals on advertising, parking and concessions that favored the teams. Neither the Bengals nor the Reds thought Riverfront generated the kind of cash each needed to remain competitive in its respective league.

Turn Off Ads?