Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

Re: Reds rumors

i cant wait until the season starts going be epic

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Twins are the front-runner for Willingham, Rosenthal tweets. The Reds are not involved, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
    Of course they're not. We didn't need John Fay to confirm the obvious.

Looks to me like a depth signing more than anything else. Louisville is hurting for pitching, and maybe he'll put up a few good numbers if he figures something out (he's got the stuff for it).

From MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

Jocketty says his pursuit of starting pitching has been "very frustrating" and he's not close on anything. The Reds have been linked in rumors to Gio Gonzalez and Jair Jurrjens in recent weeks.
    Surprise!
    The Reds have made some progress on an extension for Brandon Phillips.
    One thing about Walt, he is always making progress.

Jocketty has contacted the agents for recently non-tendered players Joe Saunders and Ryan Theriot.
    Joe Saunders. No, thanks. This team already has enough Joe Saunders-types.
    And the Reds also have some interest in Michael Cuddyer depending on his asking price.
    We already know, whatever it is, that it will be too high.
    They won't be submitting a bid on Yu Darvish.
    And the rest of MLB thanks him for not slowing down the process.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Joe Saunders. No, thanks. This team already has enough Joe Saunders-types.
    Couldnt disagree more strongly.

Here are the WAR numbers for our starters last year (min. 10 GS):
    Cueto 4.3
    Leake 2.1
    Bailey 0.7
    Wood 0.3
    Willis -0.1
    Arroyo -0.5
    Volquez -1.0

What was Saunders WAR? 2.4. He also threw 212 innings. More than anyone on the Reds' staff last year.

I would take Saunders in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by HalMorrisRules View Post
    Couldnt disagree more strongly.

Here are the WAR numbers for our starters last year (min. 10 GS):
    Cueto 4.3
    Leake 2.1
    Bailey 0.7
    Wood 0.3
    Willis -0.1
    Arroyo -0.5
    Volquez -1.0

What was Saunders WAR? 2.4. He also threw 212 innings. More than anyone on the Reds' staff last year.

I would take Saunders in a heart beat.
    I suppose it all depends on where you get yours stats. Fangraphs has him as a 1.0 WAR. Among NL pitchers in 2011 he had one of the better BABIP rates at .271. He had one of the better stranded rates at 77.7%. Only four qualified NL starters had an xFIP higher than his 4.38.
    I guess what worries me most is that he was non-tendered. Starting pitching is at a premium and the Diamondbacks just let him go. Presumably, they tried to trade him first but found no takers. To me that is telling.

I still think, at the contract he will probably command, that I have to pass on Joe Saunders. It's not like I haven't been wrong on these things before though.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

This whole Walt deal about him ''frustrated over lack of moves''is pathetic.There is too much young talent in this organization for him to not make moves.Winning teams take chances.Some work out,some don't.GM's are supposed to try and improve and not sit on their hands.It's so darn hard on us fans to having anything to be excited about going into the season.
    We could at least see more young talent having a chance,but grizzled veterans always seem to get the call.It's like our minor's are a graveyard.at least give us something to get excited about.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

From FayBlog:

Jocketty told Reds employees this week that he expected to have a deal by week’s end — maybe more than one. But he probably would have said the same thing going into the winter meetings.

The Cardinals are a "serious entity" in the Beltran talks, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter).
    The Reds are a "serious entity" in the Theriot talks.

Makes you wanna bang your head against the wall.

The Reds have some interest in Cuddyer.
    I have some interest in marrying a Kardashian. Neither is going to happen. If the Rockies offered Cuddyer more than the 3-year 25-million dollar contract offer the Twins presented to him, then the Reds are out of the picture. A free-agent tussle amongst the Mariners, the Rockies, the Phillies and the Reds? Sorry, Reds fans.

The price is high. The Reds could have Gio/Bailey if they give up Alonso,Grandel,Sappelt and Corc.

The main area of weakness for the Reds is lack of high ceiling pitching prospect. Corc and Stephenson is the best we got and one hasn't even pitched professionally yet.

I doubt the price is going to drop anytime soon.

The Orioles and approximately ten other teams have expressed some level of interest in signing Luke Scott, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (on Twitter). The 33-year-old became a free agent Monday night when the Orioles declined to tender him a contract. Scott, who battled a shoulder injury in 2011 and underwent surgery this summer, projected to earn $6MM through arbitration, so GM Dan Duquette let him go. But from 2008-10, Scott averaged 25 home runs and a .266/.348/.497 line, so there's strong interest in the PSI Sports Management client.
    You would think one of them would have to be the Reds.

Nerdvana Annihilation

Is it just me or is anyone else getting really frustrated when they look on MLB Rumors or this website and see nothing happening still. Not even much "talk."

I read MLB rumors every day during lunch from top to bottom and it's getting very annoying not hearing your team's name in anything.

Maybe it's because we didn’t do anything during the trade deadline that is making me upset due to the fact it has been way to long.
    /rant end
    sorry

The Reds signed Kanekoa Texeira.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...exeika01.shtml

Walt promised us a pickup this week. And Walt always comes through.

He will be 26 next year. In parts of two major league seasons his peripherals are really, really ugly.

WHIP - 1.685
    K/9 - 4.4
    BB/9 - 3.7
    K/BB - 1.18

His minor league numbers are better. I know, how could they be any worse.

A nice write-up on him: http://riveraveblues.com/2009/02/pro...-texeira-7715/

Texeira is a classic sinker-slider reliever. His best offering is a slider that dives away from righties with hard two-plane break, which explains why they hit just .186 with a 2.38 GB/FB rate off him in 2008. His fastball generally sits in the 89-91 mph range, although he can hump it up to 93 if he puts everything into it. Texeira is most effective in the upper 80′s, when he gets the most movement out of his heater. The White Sox had him work on a changeup earlier in his career, but it’s nothing more than a show-me pitch. He does an excellent job of keeping the ball in the park, allowing just three homers total in the last three years.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-15-2011 at 04:33 PM.

I read on twitter that the A's asked for Alonso, one of their catching prospects plus more. I think that's kind of ridiculous for someone who has 2 years of good numbers and is going from one of the most pitcher friendly parks to one of most hitter friendliest parks. I'll be honest he would be my 4-5 pitcher I would want.

Turn Off Ads?