Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP James Allen

0 0%
  • C Tucker Barnhart

12 21.43%
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

0 0%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

4 7.14%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

3 5.36%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

12 21.43%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

3 5.36%
  • OF Denis Phipps

4 7.14%
  • RHP Dan Renken

1 1.79%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

8 14.29%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

6 10.71%
  • 3B David Vidal

2 3.57%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

1 1.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Yadier Molina seems like a great comp--for a ceiling, as you say. That brings me to a point that was made in the discussion of the last pick--that a guy like Duran has a lot more upside than Barnhart. That statement seems to be accepted as an obvious given, since Duran clearly has much, much, much more power. I guess people equate raw power with upside, which is understandable. But I don't see Duran's ceiling including good defense or decent contact skills. Seems to me like it's more on the order of Russell Branyan, or something between Branyan and Dunn. Is that a better player than Yadier Molina? Not in my book. I think we underestimate the ceiling of a guy who can be a Gold Glove catcher and hold his own at the plate.
    I totally agree with you. And the other concern with Duran, for me, is the ridiculously high K rates with poor contact rates. The power is largely negated when you're K and BB rates are very poor. I think Duran can be a good prospect, but he's got a ways to go. I certainly don't think he's a better prospect than Barnhart.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I totally agree with you. And the other concern with Duran, for me, is the ridiculously high K rates with poor contact rates. The power is largely negated when you're K and BB rates are very poor. I think Duran can be a good prospect, but he's got a ways to go. I certainly don't think he's a better prospect than Barnhart.
    I too have Tucker rated higher than Duran. But I wouldn't call Duran's walk rate very poor at all. He walked 8.4% of the time he stepped to the plate, which is not bad at all. The strikeout rate is incredibly high though and what keeps me from ranking him any higher.

Incidentally, c'golf . . . Since Chacin has no votes, I suppose there's a chance that you would drop him from the list for a while. FWIW, he's second-next on my chart, behind Lutz. Third is Drew Hayes, who seems about ready to go on the board.

Thanks for taking charge of this.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I guess I will join the loud minority of picking Crabbe here. I like Barnhart a whole lot and was back and forth between him and Crabbe, but ended up going with Crabbe due to two major league ready pitches and superior K rates throughout three leagues. Crabbe will be one I will be watching closely this summer.

Then how about a pitcher who has the following peripherals through two seasons?

14.8 K/9
    3.6 BB/9
    4.16 K/BB
    4.4 H/9
    0.881 WHIP

And his given up one longball in 78.1 IP.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Then how about a pitcher who has the following peripherals through two seasons?

14.8 K/9
    3.6 BB/9
    4.16 K/BB
    4.4 H/9
    0.881 WHIP

And his given up one longball in 78.1 IP.
    Pretty good. Sounds like a reliever though. How old is he? Where did he put up those numbers? More importantly, what is his stuff like?

He doesn't sound pretty good-- he sounds phenomenal.

I found him. Stuff doesn't do enough for me here. He was outside of my Top 40.

I'd actually forgotten about him. Thanks, man (no?).

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I'd actually forgotten about him. Thanks, man (no?).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I found him. Stuff doesn't do enough for me here. He was outside of my Top 40.
    Do you have your top 40 posted somewhere? I looked at your site but didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Do you have your top 40 posted somewhere? I looked at your site but didn't see it.
    The top 25 is on the site. The Top 40 isn't out yet, but is only available through the year Prospect Guide.

Turn Off Ads?