Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Average baseball salary rises to $3.1M

Average baseball salary rises to $3.1M

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/73...ses-31-million

My Take: So......does anyone on this board think we have the money to add the kind of talent it would take to make a run at a world series title in 2012?

Or, we could actually coach up what we have and get younger, cheaper., more talented players ready to give us a chance to compete for years to come?

If Jockerty starts dealing premium cheap young talent for the average guys we would surely get for that talent...I will then want him and Dusty gone.

I'm starting to wonder if Jockerty is the right man for the job. His history with the Cards was trading away young talent for proven veterans. The difference was....they got above average veterans that the cards were willing to pay.

If Jokerty takes the same tact here and trades youngsters for the type talent the Reds can afford.....he will trade us out of competing for the next 10 years and straight into being the Pittsburgh Pirates.

I have this sick feeling that between Walt Jockerty & Dusty Baker....we are headed back to the dark ages fast.

We need a GM that can guide a ship with young talented players and a manager that can lead them. I know for a fact we don't have 50% of that equation & depending on Walt does this offseason...we may be sitting here with 0% of what we need at the major level to succeed with a young team loaded with young talent.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I've brought this up before but what about Jed Lowrie as a back up infielder. Walt was looking at Ramon Santiago as the back up because of his versatility and ability to hot from both sides. Do you think he would be a good target? Who would you give up?

Re: Average baseball salary rises to $3.1M

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    I've brought this up before but what about Jed Lowrie as a back up infielder. Walt was looking at Ramon Santiago as the back up because of his versatility and ability to hot from both sides. Do you think he would be a good target? Who would you give up?
    I'm not down on getting a backup SS.

But this club has everything they need. They need to get better coaching of that talent.

The only players we have that would command premium talent are Votto, Phillips & Cueto.

What we need is a coaching staff that can simply coach better. We need a hitting coach that can demand better approaches at the dish...we need a pitching coach that makes better pitch selection and better location selection (down and in to left handed hitters...ummm....doesn't work anywhere...especially GABP)...most importantly..we need a manager that isn't a "certain players manager".

This organization is loaded with players. The only thing this organization lacks is leadership at the major league level.

Well as for a backup SS goes, if Cozart doesn't cut it like Janish did last year who should take over? Janish again? Frazier? We need someone there just in case and I think getting someone like Lowrie will prevent Dusty from playing favoritism towards vets.

And for the coaching staff... Come on! These are professionals we are talking about, not high school or college athletes. There should be some accountability from there end to perform. I am with you that I don't like Dusty, however, I feel the rest of the staff is performing. We have been tops in the league offensively for the past couple of years. The offense that wasn't there this past year was due partly because Gomes performed last year, no production from SS or 3B. But everywhere else was either the same or better. Pitching has been suspect but Cueto has continued to progress as has Leake. Arroyo is over 30 so he should know what he needs to do. Volquez is coming off TJ so I wouldn't look too far into last year stats. Bullpen wasn't that bad! It's hard to perform all year when your starters average around 6.1 IP per start. That's bad!

Yes there are minor upgrades that need to be made: SP, back up INF, LF/SS!

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/73...ses-31-million

My Take: So......does anyone on this board think we have the money to add the kind of talent it would take to make a run at a world series title in 2012?

Or, we could actually coach up what we have and get younger, cheaper., more talented players ready to give us a chance to compete for years to come?

If Jockerty starts dealing premium cheap young talent for the average guys we would surely get for that talent...I will then want him and Dusty gone.

I'm starting to wonder if Jockerty is the right man for the job. His history with the Cards was trading away young talent for proven veterans. The difference was....they got above average veterans that the cards were willing to pay.

If Jokerty takes the same tact here and trades youngsters for the type talent the Reds can afford.....he will trade us out of competing for the next 10 years and straight into being the Pittsburgh Pirates.

I have this sick feeling that between Walt Jockerty & Dusty Baker....we are headed back to the dark ages fast.

We need a GM that can guide a ship with young talented players and a manager that can lead them. I know for a fact we don't have 50% of that equation & depending on Walt does this offseason...we may be sitting here with 0% of what we need at the major level to succeed with a young team loaded with young talent.
    Hard to take you too seriously when you cant even spell the name of the guy your trying to bash.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

I would be willing to bet that if the Marlins land Pujols, you can bet Gaby Sanchez and prospects will be sent to Tampa for Shields or one of their pitchers.

Turn Off Ads?