Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Something Fishy With The Marlins?

Something Fishy With The Marlins?

Pardon the pun, but let's take a second and consider their shocking change in the way their business has been run this offseason. They're coming off one of their worst seasons in franchise history. Their area has been hard-hit by the housing collapse. Despite past WS success, their stadium still appeared incredibly empty. And right now, their farm system is considered one of the worst in baseball. There were rumors that if any team were to move, it would be them... now, they've got a new stadium deal, new name, new logo high-priced new acquisitions in Heath Bell and Jose Reyes, and are generally considered the favorite in the running for Cespedes. Yet they've also garnered an investigation by the SEC, which they've mostly shrugged off during their spending spree. And now, they're laying it all on the line with a 10-year deal for Pujols.

Something's not right here. Massive, risky expenditures of this sort during an era of necessary rebuilding in such a poor market is the business of someone who has never worked in baseball before, and Beinfest (their main executive) is generally known as a guy who wins with a small budget and maximizing return rather than going on spending sprees. Do you suspect there's a lot of money getting transferred under the table here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Something Fishy With The Marlins?

The conspiracy theorist in me agrees with you. Something is strange, but if Pujols leaves St. Louis for Miami then I could care less.

I mean, I can get that revenue sharing has helped make them profitable over the years... but I think every Cincinnatian can testify that rarely are stadium deals that put the burden on taxpayers good for the city, and there's a lot more than just a new stadium here.

Aside from screwing their local tax payers, I think they're banking on a successful team filling the stands, something that should never be expected from Miami fans...or Florida fans in general.

The money has to come from somewhere, and one thing we all know is that new stadiums are often filled more than usual those first couple of seasons. If it fizzles out and Miami fans go back to being typical Miami fans I don't see how they'd be able to afford their payroll.

I don't think throwing money at Pujols is a major risk. This is very similar to what the Giants did in 93. Team gets sold after 92 season, gets approved for new stadium downtown, and brings in Bonds to put fans in those seats. I think the Bell and Reyes signings were more about showing everyone that they are serious about putting a formidable team on the field and erasing the long standing stigma of them being a cheap organization.

Yes, remember in 2003 when the Reds moved into their new stadium and started bringing in all those players like...umm..ummm...ummm.

You have to spend money to make money. Very few succcessful businesses were achived without risk of capitial. I wish the reds would take a chance. If the marlins put a good product on the field, people will show up to buy the hotdogs.IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    You have to spend money to make money. Very few succcessful businesses were achived without risk of capitial. I wish the reds would take a chance. If the marlins put a good product on the field, people will show up to buy the hotdogs.IMO
    Quoted for truth. Last winter was the time to spend some cash to capitalize on a division title and to keep the momentum going. Reds fail.

Something to add to this decision that is about to be made by Pujols between the Cardinals and the Marlins; the first opening day game in the US is:

St. Louis Cardinals at Miami Marlins in their new stadium.

If the Marlins sign Pujols, what a hell of a way to open the year.

Turn Off Ads?