Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone had this happen to them on Facebook?

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Anyone had this happen to them on Facebook?

Today I post "RIP Brent Darby" on my FB page. A few friends comment on it and I respond back a few times.

Later on, out of curiosity, I check to see if Darby has a FB page to see if it's public and if there's any more info on his death. The top search result is a player fan page with 19 "likes". I go to the page (without "liking" it) and, low and behold, my FB wall post is there with all the comments from my friends. Nothing else is there except a Wiki entry from Spain on Darby (he played pro hoops in Europe) with my wall post above it.

I called a friend and asked them to go to that page and see if they saw that post on it as well and, sure enough, it was there. So, freaked out, I deleted the post from my wall and went back to that fan page (which, again, I had never "liked" BTW) and it was gone.

What the heck is this? Anyone?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: Anyone had this happen to them on Facebook?

Some "fan pages" are actually topic pages that Facebook automatically creates and fills with posts/statuses its users are making about that subject. Also if your privacy settings are set to only show your posts to friends, you and your friends will see your post on Facebook's Brent Darby page but non-friends won't.

I noticed that this was happening with me whenever I'd make a comment about our current president, my comments would wind up on his fan page. Freaked me out and I decided to delete them and not comment further on him by name.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Some "fan pages" are actually topic pages that Facebook automatically creates and fills with posts/statuses its users are making about that subject. Also if your privacy settings are set to only show your posts to friends, you and your friends will see your post on Facebook's Brent Darby page but non-friends won't.
    I had my friend also post a status update on their wall with his name in it and it didn't show upon that topic page. Of course, maybe it takes a while.

Google+ is doing something similar, but also somewhat more benign.

So glad to be off facebook.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?