Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighbor parking his car in front of my house?

Re: Neighbor parking his car in front of my house?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Trying to remember my drivers training years ago but I thought a parked car could not be parked for over 24 hours without moving it. If he is moving it within that period I don't think there is anything you can do.

Just because you have a garage and driveway for 4 cars doesn't mean it makes sense to park all 4 in the driveway. You have people leaving at different times in the morning and it would be a hassle every morning to move the cars around before work. I know when I was growing up we had a big driveway and 2 car garage but I parked on the street every day. We also were in the cul-de-sac and I parked in front of a neighbor's house. I know this, my mom sure as heck wasn't parking anywhere but the garage, even if she was the first to leave in the morning.
    A ban on overnight parking is different from the 24 hour rule. It varies from city to city based on local ordinances. Our city has the following bans - no overnight parking on residential streets; no parking on the fire hydrant side of the street; no parking on street when it snows. These restrictions are posted on signs on all streets entering the city. So if a car is parked on the street in the wee hours of the morning, they can get a ticket. If they park on the side of the street with the fire hydrants on it, they can get a ticket. Same with snow.

One the main reasons for the street parking bans is that many of our residential streets just aren't wide enough. On our street, if two cars are parked opposite each other on either side of the street, there is barely enough room for a passenger vehicle to get through. Even with one car parked on the side of the street, there isn't enough room for two way traffic. The primary concern from the city's point of view is that overnight street parking, a time when people are most likely to be home with all their extra cars, can make it difficult for emergency response vehicles, city maintenance trucks, and snow plows to get through. This is particularly true on cul-de-sac streets, where there is only one way in and out.

Things may be different in other cities. For example, Pedro mentioned he lives in a neighborhood where houses have no driveways. In his case, the city doesn't have an overnight parking ban because it would leave people in his neighborhood without a place to park. It was the same way when I lived in Chicago, but there the city required you to buy a parking permit to park on the street in certain neighborhoods. And of course there was the unwritten rule that you could put tables and chairs in your spot to save it when you dig yourself out after a snow storm.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I get that it's awkward, but this is why you want to know your neighbors pretty well, so that if they do something irritating you can ask them to stop and it'll probably go well. If you're the friendly guy across the street someone's going to be a lot more willing to help you out then if you're the guy who never talks to any of your neighbors.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

I am lucky that on my side of the street there is no parking. (My garage is in the rear alley.) That would be a pain for me if parking was allowed. I hope it works out. Keep us updated.

Why not post this sign?

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

I helped my parents move over the last few days. I drove a uhaul truck and parked it next to the house as close as possible to unload. It so happens the truck etched over into the neighbor's routine street parking area. The woman nearly had a cow that I had the nerve to park in a portion of that space. So, being Mr Nice, I closed up the Uhaul, put away the ramp and moved the truck a few feet to appease the Neighbor. I guess some people cannot cope for a few hours.

Growing up, we had five cars in my house. My parents had one work car each, my dad also had a casual car he drove when he wasn't going to work. Then my brother and I each had a car. Because of our schedules, my brother and I always parked on the street, while my parents always parked in the driveway. If they aren't harming anything by using the spot, it is probably done so they don't have to play car carousel everytime someone needs to leave given that they have multiple cars with multiple drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Talk to him.

I know...crazy, right? But hear me out.

Strike up a conversation with the guy. Talk about sports, or whatever. Chances are, he'll eventually bring up the fact that he's parking in front of your house, because he knows he's doing it. You'll probably joke about it a little, and next weekend, he just might park in his own driveway.

If he keeps parking in front of your house, then start thinking of all the clever ways to one-up him. But for now, talk to him.
    Possibly the most common-sense post I have ever read on any topic on any board. It's amazing how communication improves when people actually talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    It's a public street, let it go and get over it.
    agreeed.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Walk over and take a dump in his yard.

Or

Just talk to him about it.
    Bust some bottles in the street, around his car.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Bust some bottles in the street, around his car.
    Just pick up a golf club and go Elin Nordegren on the car.

Any update?

Any update?
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

He has been parking his work van in front of my house on Fridays when he gets home from work and will leave it there until he goes back to work on Mondays for several weeks now. Last Friday I had my wife pull our van out there around 3 in the afternoon. He shockingly parked his van in his driveway all weekend long and so far hasnt parked out there since. Maybe he took the hint???

They call me "chef"

So you didn't buy him a drink and try to relate to him?
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

*UPDATED: 2/11/2014

Turn Off Ads?