Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do You Take the Hall of Fame Seriously?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I tend to take it serious.

18 81.82%
  • No, no matter what happens... oh well.

3 13.64%
  • No Pete... no Hall!

1 4.55%

Thread: Do You take the Hall of Fame Serious?

For a Level Playing Field

Do You take the Hall of Fame Serious?

Just curious as it seems many seem to think Ron Santo was way overdue for induction. Then of course we have the "Pete Rose Saga" (he'll sell ya the story I am sure... wait, he already has lol).

Do you take the Hall serious? Or is it or has it become just some place that is not to be taken too serious in your opinion?

Personally I used to take a lot of stock in the Hall and started not caring for the place about 10 years ago. Not sure why... baseball writers, veteran's committee, my age, etc, etc. I just don't care these days.

Don't get me wrong... I'd visit the place in a heartbeat. Baseball is in the blood.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do You take the Hall of Fame Serious?

I take it seriously. It is the voters that seem not to.

I think the HOF plays a significant role in crafting the games' narrative. How many players from 40, 60, 80, 100 years ago who are not in the hall do we still talk about? Shoeless Joe Jackson and Roger Maris are among the exceptions that prove the rule. If nothing else, the process of being elected gives us a chance to reflect on the careers and times of players past.

And that's why I'm a "big hall" type of person. I'd rather have guys get put in to the games historical keystone institution who maybe were not all that great than to leave out players who by merit should have been included. So give me Jim Rice and Jack Morris if you must, but don't you dare leave out Bert Blyleven and Tim Raines.

As for Pete (and others who broke the rules in some way), put him in the hall, but don't let him speak or make appearances. What happened on the field happened and above all else, the hall should be about recognizing what happened on the field of play. While it's a great honor to the player to be elected and I can understand people wanting to deny the player said honor, it is the fans are robbed most when otherwise deserving players are omitted. I would take it more seriously than I do if they would simply put in deserving players (based on performance) and simply ensure that the players' plaque adequately contextualizes their place in the games' history.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-07-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I do not take the veteran selection committee seriously (or whatever they call themselves). They seem spiteful, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I take it seriously. It is the voters that seem not to.

I was ready to give the thread "three strikes & you're out" for lack of adverbs.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think the HOF plays a significant role in crafting the games' narrative. How many players from 40, 60, 80, 100 years ago who are not in the hall do we still talk about? Shoeless Joe Jackson and Roger Maris are among the exceptions that prove the rule. If nothing else, the process of being elected gives us a chance to reflect on the careers and times of players past.

And that's why I'm a "big hall" type of person. I'd rather have guys get put in to the games historical keystone institution who maybe were not all that great than to leave out players who by merit should have been included. So give me Jim Rice and Jack Morris if you must, but don't you dare leave out Bert Blyleven and Tim Raines.

As for Pete (and others who broke the rules in some way), put him in the hall, but don't let him speak or make appearances. What happened on the field happened and above all else, the hall should be about recognizing what happened on the field of play. While it's a great honor to the player to be elected and I can understand people wanting to deny the player said honor, it is the fans are robbed most when otherwise deserving players are omitted. I would take it more seriously than I do if they would simply put in deserving players (based on performance) and simply ensure that the players' plaque adequately contextualizes their place in the games' history.
    I'm inclined to agree here. For the casual fan, the Hall of Fame is probably irrelevant, but for those who are more than that, it's great to have that narrative, to have that history there.

Whether Pete Rose is in matters not one bit to me. Personally, I'd have no problem with him being there, same with Joe Jackson. Frankly, I'd be inclined to let in PED users too since I basically believe it's ownership who turned the blind eye to players beefing up & saving the game from it's own idiocy. And every generation has had one thing or another that impacted who was elite and who wasn't.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I don't take it near as seriously as I once did.

The people that vote make me laugh sometimes. They seem to feel that they are bigger than the Hall at times. I don't like the process.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I was ready to give the thread "three strikes & you're out" for lack of adverbs.
    Sorry! Too much insulin and/or not enough carbs at lunch today. Not funny but you'd laugh at how long it took me to even get the thread posted despite being semi-short. It did cause me to pause and decide something wasn't right with the head and check the blood. I must admit it does get a low-grade for grammar. lol

I think they ought to do a better job of including guys right away who deserve to be in, no sense making certain guys who are no doubters wait 2-3 years or more. Other than that I think they basically eventually get it right. Though If I were them i'd include Joe Jackson and not so much Pete.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The fact that people still talk about whether or not Joe Jackson should be in the HOF tells me how little we need the HOF to tell us who is and who isn't worth remembering.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Cooperstown yes, Reds HOF no.

I am probally a freak compared to most in that around age 10 I was pretty darn knowledgeable on Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and alot of other players and teams from the 1920-1970 era. In fact to this day I probally know more about those players and the times they played in than I know about current day baseball. So yes, Cooperstown is VERY important to me.

Having said that I would love to see the voting changed. I am very much a status quo kinda guy but the voting for the most part is silly. Keeping Bert Blyleven out for as long as they did although at the time of his retirement when only 2 other pitchers in MLB history had more strikeouts than him was utterly nuts. I am not a huge Ron Santo supporter but I have no problem with him going in. There are many, many worse players in than him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I agree with this. The Hall of Fame is for the fans. Leaving out some of the most famous and popular players of all time is a disservice to the fans and fails one of the HOF's goals of educating the public.

Turn Off Ads?