Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Special K in the Twin Cities

Special K in the Twin Cities

The team is close to rehiring former assistant General Manager Wayne Krivsky, likely as a special assistant to GM Bill Smith*. Krivsky could have a deal with the Twins by next week, people familiar with the discussions said Friday.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/133280168.html

I am still convinced that Krivsky could have done just as good as Jocketty if he would have been left alone. The entire CoCo contract is inexcusable but the Harang and Arroyo contracts were right fro mthe owners desk.

*I think they mean Terry Ryan
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Special K in the Twin Cities

Well, I lose track of things. Was it Krivsky (or someone else) who obtained Arroyo for WMPena and Phillips for a song with Cleveland? Yeah the Coco deal was too much, but atleast Krivsky took a few risks. Some worked out and some didn't. Jocketty won't do anything either way.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I will just say this.... Walt Jocketty has more freedom as a GM from Bob than the previous guys did, but even Walt has had his hands tied on a few deals because of what Bob thought was best for the team. As the owner, I guess that is allowed.... but you really have to wish that didn't happen. Both Dano and Krivsky had deals made for them because Bob said they were happening (heard this from a scout who knows both of them). This past trade deadline there were rumors that Bob told Walt he wasn't allowed trading veterans because the Reds were still in it despite Walt wanting to make some moves for younger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will just say this.... Walt Jocketty has more freedom as a GM from Bob than the previous guys did, but even Walt has had his hands tied on a few deals because of what Bob thought was best for the team. As the owner, I guess that is allowed.... but you really have to wish that didn't happen. Both Dano and Krivsky had deals made for them because Bob said they were happening (heard this from a scout who knows both of them). This past trade deadline there were rumors that Bob told Walt he wasn't allowed trading veterans because the Reds were still in it despite Walt wanting to make some moves for younger guys.
    DanO was in under Lindener but not Mr C if I am not mistaken.

I would have loved to have seen a FO that included both DanO and Special K...they both have a high amount of respect around the league for their ability to spot under-valued and under utilized talent.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    DanO was in under Lindener but not Mr C if I am not mistaken.

I would have loved to have seen a FO that included both DanO and Special K...they both have a high amount of respect around the league for their ability to spot under-valued and under utilized talent.
    You may not be mistaken. Either way, all of the guys mentioned had owners stepping in and making deals for them for differing reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You may not be mistaken. Either way, all of the guys mentioned had owners stepping in and making deals for them for differing reasons.
    Agreed.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/133280168.html

I am still convinced that Krivsky could have done just as good as Jocketty if he would have been left alone. The entire CoCo contract is inexcusable but the Harang and Arroyo contracts were right fro mthe owners desk.

*I think they mean Terry Ryan
    You're selling WK short. Based on the stagnation we've seen from Wait Jocketty, is there any doubt that Krivsky would have done significantly better?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    You're selling WK short. Based on the stagnation we've seen from Wait Jocketty, is there any doubt that Krivsky would have done significantly better?
    I'm an unashamed fan of Special K and think he should still be the reds GM...that isn't to say I do not like Walt but I felt like Mr C really undermined any sort of plan Special K had and perhaps Walt went along with that after he arrived.

Additionally no secret and not unique to this board, I CANNOT STAND DUSTY...would much rather have Pete Mackanin as the skipper of this team.

So, I try not to be to biased...but I am HUGELY BIAS.

I'm beginning to think the biggest problem with Cast as owner is that he thinks he knows as much about baseball as his GM, not whether or not he'll open his wallet. Owners like that are usually an albatross.

I'm an unashamed fan of Special K and think he should still be the reds GM...that isn't to say I do not like Walt but I felt like Mr C really undermined any sort of plan Special K had and perhaps Walt went along with that after he arrived.

Additionally no secret and not unique to this board, I CANNOT STAND DUSTY...would much rather have Pete Mackanin as the skipper of this team.

So, I try not to be to biased...but I am HUGELY BIAS.
    I'd rather have Krivsky and Mackanin too. The mistake the Reds made was getting big name "track record" guys and then not following up with payroll cash. I don't believe in "go big or go home" but I do believe in "go big or go smart". The Reds picked "go big......kinda, sorta".
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'd rather have Krivsky and Mackanin too. The mistake the Reds made was getting big name "track record" guys and then not following up with payroll cash. I don't believe in "go big or go home" but I do believe in "go big or go smart". The Reds picked "go big......kinda, sorta".
    TOTALLY agree with your post and underscore the track record mentality. Jocketty has a great track record from his previous stints, Baker...ok, anyway...why Mr C thought placing Jocketty and Baker in here would convey "win now" is beyond me. They went out and got CoCo when we had nothing in the rotation to reach him...hard to save a game when your team isn't even making it too the 6th!

They had two REALLY SHARP baseball guys in place and instead decided to go with what was known...beginning to think baseball has moved on from Jocketty and that perhaps some of his ties were worn out when he was showing everybody up when he was in St. Louis.

Maybe that is why it is hard to make a deal for this team?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Who traded Hamilton for Volquez?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Let me rephrase this question...

Who traded a crack addict for a guy with maturity issues?
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    And we still need pitching.

If you want to make judgements based on cherry picks, look up Mark Mulder.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Wayne had some payroll to play with. That's kind of indisputable.

Turn Off Ads?