Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV vs. Time Warner Cable

Re: DirecTV vs. Time Warner Cable

I would recommend Dish Network every day of the week over Direct Tv . I had Direct tv for 2 years and went with Dish and find its way better for my needs.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If you're going to go with Directv then take advantage of that $100 referral offer. If you know someone (family, friend, etc) who is currently a Directv customer, then get their account number when you call Directv to have it installed ad tell them they referred you. You'll both get $100 off ($10/month for 10 months). I did it this past Fall with a buddy who was switching to Directv. Nice way to save even some more money.
    Thanks, did not know that, but that is great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Make sure you can get Direct TV (living in NYC). When I lived in Chicago, I was always blocked by another building. It was frustrating. One apartment assured me that I had access when I rented, then when the Direct TV people came to install it I didn't.
    Yeah, DirecTV works here. Some of my neighbors have it.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yeah, DirecTV works here. Some of my neighbors have it.
    I don't have DirectTV as I mentioned earlier, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because your neighbor's have it, doesn't mean you'll be able to get it.

If there are line of sight interferences (trees, tall buildings) on your property that your neighbot's don't experience, it could hinder your ability to get a satelite feed.

I am currently a Time Warner customer, but not for much longer. My 2 year price lock guarantee contract will expire next week.

Just thought I would chime in with an update. I made the move to DirecTV from Time Warner and I'm very very pleased thus far. Time Warner tried to entice me to stay by telling me I had the absolute best deal they could offer, but as you'll see from below, either they're lying or they're truly ripping people off. Not to mention, Time Warner refused to cancel my service until I returned the cable boxes to them, which I thought was a scam. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck with Time Warner for internet as Verizon High Speed gets awful speeds in comparison. Hopefully FIOS will be here soon enough. Below is a breakdown...

Pros with DirecTV:

- I'm saving 60% off the cable portion of my bill in year 1 and 40% in year 2
    - I get all of the premium channels free for the first 3 months
    - Even after 3 months, all of the Encore, TMC and Sundance premium channels are included in my package
    - I tried to get them to throw in the MLB Extra Innings package. They couldn't do it, but offered to take off $5 each month for 2 years, which ends up being worth $120 (this is included in my savings in point 1).
    - I receive the whole home DVR, which I did not with Time Warner
    - A much better On Demand Selection
    - The picture is crisper and so far I've had far fewer DVR issues
    - The customer service is SO much better. People are not only helpful, but they are pleasant and seem to enjoy their jobs and it makes a difference.
    - Shorter wait times when I call in for an issue
    - If you refer a friend, both you and the friend get $10 off your bill for 10 months each (something I'm taking advantage of currently)
    - They have the NFL Network and MSG channel, which Time Warner currently carries neither
    - They offer the NFL Prime Ticket as well, which Time Warner doesn't
    - They came out the next day for installation. When I started my service with Time Warner, I had to wait 9 days for someone to come out (and it's usually 9 days if something is wrong with my cable)!

Cons:

- No NY1 (great channel) and they are missing a few other channels I like that Time Warner carried
    - The 2 year agreement is unfortunate, especially because if you move, you're still going to be locked into that contract most likely. With that said, I don't see a reason to switch services anyhow
    - Although it hasn't happened yet, I've heard that bad storms can be problematic with regard to the service
    - Even though it's a catch-22, I don't love having to be enrolled in auto bill pay to receive free HD access. I understand it, but I wish I was at least able to have a say as to when funds are debited

Overall, there are far more pros than cons and if anyone has cable and they feel like they're getting shafted or the service sucks, there's a very good chance that DirecTV may be able to offer you a better deal. I would advise you to not use the website and to call the 800 number, as they have more leeway there to give you a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I don't have DirectTV as I mentioned earlier, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just because your neighbor's have it, doesn't mean you'll be able to get it.

If there are line of sight interferences (trees, tall buildings) on your property that your neighbot's don't experience, it could hinder your ability to get a satelite feed.
    Everything stated above is spot on .I was a direcy Tv tech. For 3 years and told numerous people the above

I have Directv, but get my HS internet (RR) from Time Warner. I've been having trouble these last couple weeks with my internet speed going all over the place which results in pages taking forever to load or not at all. Then one minute later it's flying. I check the speed and one can see, even TW sees it on their end, that it's fluctuating badly. It has to be in the coaxial lines, and probably cold weather related.

I had an appointment yesterday afternoon set up from 4-7PM. Guy never shows. I call. They say he cancelled the appointment, but doesn't give any reason. It then hits me. Friday afternoon/evening is probably a bad time to set up an appt,... end of week, people want to go home and go out.... but THEY were the ones who set it up. They apologize, knock $25 off my bill, and have set up a new appt. for tomorrow (Sunday) where the guy has to call me prior to coming.

I figure he'll be here late morning/early afternoon since the Super Bowl comes on around 6:30. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I just changed to Wow internet. I'd never considered them before, but they now have tiers that go all the way to 50mbps. Pretty solid in the week I've had it so far.

And of course still with DirecTV. Sunday Ticket was pretty fun this year with the Bengals and being able to watch Tebow every week in the 4th quarter.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I'm the same way. I've always had tremendous customer service from Time Warner. Dish Network, on the other hand, was a nightmare. My parents had a pretty brutal experience with DirecTV but that was when it was a new service.
    Exact opposite here. We had DISH for years and never had a bit of problem, none. The only reason I changed was to access the MLB Baseball package which DISH did not offer. TW was quick to respond to our calls but we were having to make too many service requests! We had the land line, internet, and television bundled. Last March the agreement expired. We kept the interent and canned the landline and cable. But for a few DVD's we haven't even had the TV on in nearly a year now and I don't miss it at all, smartest thing we ever did.
    Last edited by muddie; 02-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Just thought I would chime in with an update. I made the move to DirecTV from Time Warner and I'm very very pleased thus far. Time Warner tried to entice me to stay by telling me I had the absolute best deal they could offer, but as you'll see from below, either they're lying or they're truly ripping people off. Not to mention, Time Warner refused to cancel my service until I returned the cable boxes to them, which I thought was a scam. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck with Time Warner for internet as Verizon High Speed gets awful speeds in comparison. Hopefully FIOS will be here soon enough. Below is a breakdown...

Pros with DirecTV:

- I'm saving 60% off the cable portion of my bill in year 1 and 40% in year 2
    - I get all of the premium channels free for the first 3 months
    - Even after 3 months, all of the Encore, TMC and Sundance premium channels are included in my package
    - I tried to get them to throw in the MLB Extra Innings package. They couldn't do it, but offered to take off $5 each month for 2 years, which ends up being worth $120 (this is included in my savings in point 1).
    - I receive the whole home DVR, which I did not with Time Warner
    - A much better On Demand Selection
    - The picture is crisper and so far I've had far fewer DVR issues
    - The customer service is SO much better. People are not only helpful, but they are pleasant and seem to enjoy their jobs and it makes a difference.
    - Shorter wait times when I call in for an issue
    - If you refer a friend, both you and the friend get $10 off your bill for 10 months each (something I'm taking advantage of currently)
    - They have the NFL Network and MSG channel, which Time Warner currently carries neither
    - They offer the NFL Prime Ticket as well, which Time Warner doesn't
    - They came out the next day for installation. When I started my service with Time Warner, I had to wait 9 days for someone to come out (and it's usually 9 days if something is wrong with my cable)!

Cons:

- No NY1 (great channel) and they are missing a few other channels I like that Time Warner carried
    - The 2 year agreement is unfortunate, especially because if you move, you're still going to be locked into that contract most likely. With that said, I don't see a reason to switch services anyhow
    - Although it hasn't happened yet, I've heard that bad storms can be problematic with regard to the service
    - Even though it's a catch-22, I don't love having to be enrolled in auto bill pay to receive free HD access. I understand it, but I wish I was at least able to have a say as to when funds are debited

Overall, there are far more pros than cons and if anyone has cable and they feel like they're getting shafted or the service sucks, there's a very good chance that DirecTV may be able to offer you a better deal. I would advise you to not use the website and to call the 800 number, as they have more leeway there to give you a better deal.
    If you move, they have the movers service. Just take your receivers, and they will come install for free. They did that for me.

Yes the 2 year contract is a negative to some people. but there're some instantsces that direct tv will let you out of your contract#1 If you move to a new location and the tech. Determines there is no line of sight or if your renting and the landlord doesn't allow dishes to be mounted on the building or property .

We had Charter Communications in this area for years. They were terrible, especially their customer service, and the reason why I went to Directv about 8 years ago. Then TW took them over this past summer. I had TW for a short spell about 6 years ago when we were living in temporary housing while building our current home. They weren't bad, way better then Charter, but still not a level of Directv IMO.

The thing I have learned with Directv, even if you're still under contract, is that you can still "juke" them to get discounts. I do it every year. I play them against the competition because I'm always getting letters from them offering me some "phenomenal" deal to switch. Now of course I have no intention of doing so, but Directv doesn't know that. So I'll call them up and they'll always say to me "Lets see what we can do for you."

I don't like the fact that I live way closer to Columbus then I do Dayton, yet my local channels are out of Dayton. It only irritates me during football season because the Browns are usually on the Columbus station (10). I've gone round and round with them on this, but they say the regions are set by the government and there's nothing they can do about it. So this past August I contacted them and told them I was being offered a pretty sweet deal from TW, was tired of not being able to watch my team, and I'd also be getting Columbus stations. They knocked $20/month off my bill for a yr, and gave me the NFL ticket for $25/month. Afterwards I them went into my account on Directv's website and changed my package to knock off around $20 of options to compensate for the NFL Ticket cost.

So don't be afraid, even if you're under contract, to contact Directv and try to get discounts. One of their reps even told me you're allowed to have so many discounts per year. Of course they aren't going to advertise that.

Come next August I'm going to do the same thing again.
    Last edited by GAC; 02-05-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We had Charter Communications in this area for years. They were terrible, especially their customer service, and the reason why I went to Directv about 8 years ago. Then TW took them over this past summer. I had TW for a short spell about 6 years ago when we were living in temporary housing while building our current home. They weren't bad, way better then Charter, but still not a level of Directv IMO.

The thing I have learned with Directv, even if you're still under contract, is that you can still "juke" them to get discounts. I do it every year. I play them against the competition because I'm always getting letters from them offering me some "phenomenal" deal to switch. Now of course I have no intention of doing so, but Directv doesn't know that. So I'll call them up and they'll always say to me "Lets see what we can do for you."

I don't like the fact that I live way closer to Columbus then I do Dayton, yet my local channels are out of Dayton. It only irritates me during football season because the Browns are usually on the Columbus station (10). I've gone round and round with them on this, but they say the regions are set by the government and there's nothing they can do about it. So this past August I contacted them and told them I was being offered a pretty sweet deal from TW, was tired of not being able to watch my team, and I'd also be getting Columbus stations. They knocked $20/month off my bill for a yr, and gave me the NFL ticket for $25/month. Afterwards I them went into my account on Directv's website and changed my package to knock off around $20 of options to compensate for the NFL Ticket cost.

So don't be afraid, even if you're under contract, to contact Directv and try to get discounts. One of their reps even told me you're allowed to have so many discounts per year. Of course they aren't going to advertise that.

Come next August I'm going to do the same thing again.
    I concur with GAC about the discounts. Call them and say cancel whatever and you will go straight to their retention department. They can give more discounts than the regular CR person can. I got the premium movie packages free for a year when I signed up with DTV in June of 2009. When that time was up I called to dowgrade my package from premier to the next level. They gave me the same discount for six months to keep Premier. I did the same just recently when my six months was up and they gave me the same discount. I suspect I will continue to get it as long as I am good customer. I also got $60 off the MLBEI package last year when I called said it was going to be too much for me. I plan on doing the same this year and see if they give me a discount. Bottom line is call and see what they can do for you. DISH never did this with me, BTW, and I was with them for 9 years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I've had DirecTV since November of '99. They've always have had great customer service. I usually get offered some free channels or discount. This past fall I called to ask about NFL Sunday Ticket since they were promoting as "now included". A google search provided me with an expectation. Several DTV customers had stated they called and got NFL Sunday Ticket for free. I called and the "best" offer they gave me was $5 off a month. I felt insulted because I knew they were offering it for free and I had been with them for over 10 years. Two weeks later I called to cancel (and move to Dish - had install appointment scheduled) and the retention rep asked why I was leaving. My response was that DISH offered the RedZone channel free of charge plus they were lowering my bill for two years. The rep then offered NFL Sunday Ticket for free plus Showtime and HBO free for three months. I accepted the offer.

Turn Off Ads?