Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

20 39.22%
  • RHP Kyle Lotzkar

31 60.78%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prospect #18 Runoff

Re: Prospect #18 Runoff

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Damage is already done though. It remains to be seen if the patch job will hold up or if he can maintain those mechanincs once he's put some innings on his arm and gets a little fatigued during a long season. Keeping his Mechanics straightened out for 10 limited starts is a lot different than 20 or 30.

I need to see him do it before I believe he can.
    He isn't going to revert to his old mechanics. That isn't something you are just going to do. His arm slot is incredibly different.

I get that you want to see him over a longer period of time though. I just don't think the mechanics are an issue at all now though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He isn't going to revert to his old mechanics. That isn't something you are just going to do. His arm slot is incredibly different.

I get that you want to see him over a longer period of time though. I just don't think the mechanics are an issue at all now though.
    Trust me when I say that I hope you are right, but for me any pitcher with the history of multiple DL stints with arm problems goes into the "question mark - set off to the side and act like he doesn't exist" category. Its the same logic I use with Homer Bailey, whom I believe has the best chance of becoming the Reds TOR starter on the roster, if he can maintain his health, but still think the team should make its plans as though he does not exist at all. For me Lotzkar just doesn't exist until he puts in a full season with no problems and then comes back the next year and shows no after effects. One season of 150+ innings gets him back on my radar. A couple of seasons with 150+ innings and he'll be where his performance dictates. Until then, he's unrated in my book.

Call me crazy if you'd like, but pitchers arms are too fragile and once a major injury occurs, they are damaged goods who don't deserve a ranking until they prove its behind them.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Defensive catchers that can't hit are slightly more valuable than defensive SS that can't hit. Every system has one. Notice nobody is trading for Jeff Mathis.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Defensive catchers that can't hit are slightly more valuable than defensive SS that can't hit. Every system has one. Notice nobody is trading for Jeff Mathis.
    I think someone did though didn't they, Toronto was it?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I think someone did though didn't they, Toronto was it?
    Good point; they traded Brad Mills for him. Brad Mills is a slop-throwing lefty who has basically flamed out at AAA.

A defensive catcher can have some value, but I'll take the arm.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think Barnhart can hit. It's just not going to be with (much) power.

Turn Off Ads?