Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign RHPs Sean Gallagher & Luis Atilano to minor league deals.

Re: Reds sign RHPs Sean Gallagher & Luis Atilano to minor league deals.

I'd add LeCure to your starting depth chart.
    Naw. He's a reliever now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The Reds signed Kanekoa Texeira.

Just saw this on mlbtraderumors.com I've got no info on him yet, I'm looking.

Kanekoa Texeira.

http://riveraveblues.com/2009/02/pro...-texeira-7715/

Scouting Report
    Texeira is a classic sinker-slider reliever. His best offering is a slider that dives away from righties with hard two-plane break, which explains why they hit just .186 with a 2.38 GB/FB rate off him in 2008. His fastball generally sits in the 89-91 mph range, although he can hump it up to 93 if he puts everything into it. Texeira is most effective in the upper 80′s, when he gets the most movement out of his heater. The White Sox had him work on a changeup earlier in his career, but it’s nothing more than a show-me pitch. He does an excellent job of keeping the ball in the park, allowing just three homers total in the last three years.Working from a low three-quarters arm slot, Texeira isn’t too far off from being a sidearmer. That arm slot is what makes his slider so good, and so far he’s been durable as a pro. His control needs work, and although he had no issues in 2008 he has to work diligently to keep his weight in check. As a dominant reliever he hasn’t gotten much of an opportunity to work on holding runners.
    Stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...exeika01.shtml

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Thanks, all I could really find was his stats.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Naw. He's a reliever now.
    He'd sure be in my rotation before Gallagher or Atilano.

He'd sure be in my rotation before Gallagher or Atilano.
    High-leverage reliever for me -- at least give him a shot. He's mediocre at best as a big league starter.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    High-leverage reliever for me -- at least give him a shot. He's mediocre at best as a big league starter.
    I agree with you of course about the best use of LeCure, but mth's premise was that our arms had all fallen apart and we were down to pressing Atilano into service. "Mediocre" will be a lot better than Gallagher or A.

Certainly most of us here want them to suceed. Our scouting department was likley given a task to find two diamonds in the rough to fill in as AAA SPs. Maybe the did their homework and know something we don't.

-The Insider-

Y'all are seriously making way too much over Gallagher and Atilano.

Y'all are seriously making way too much over Gallagher and Atilano.
    What else is there to discuss? It's been slim pickings this offseason. Again.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What else is there to discuss? It's been slim pickings this offseason. Again.
    Touché.

The Reds got two viable options to join the Louisville rotation for practically nothing. They're both relatively young and have shown that they can go extended periods of time playing MLB without embarrassing themselves. But hey--if you'd rather Matt Klinker, Brandon Hynick, and Kyle McCulloch take up all those innings, I hope you have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Reds got two viable options to join the Louisville rotation for practically nothing. They're both relatively young and have shown that they can go extended periods of time playing MLB without embarrassing themselves. But hey--if you'd rather Matt Klinker, Brandon Hynick, and Kyle McCulloch take up all those innings, I hope you have fun with that.
    Exactly my point. Atilano went 16 major league starts with an ERA in the low 5's in 2010 prior to being injured. I'm not convinced that the Reds have 5 pitchers on the major league roster capable of that, let alone in AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly my point. Atilano went 16 major league starts with an ERA in the low 5's in 2010 prior to being injured. I'm not convinced that the Reds have 5 pitchers on the major league roster capable of that, let alone in AAA.
    The Reds have more than 5 guys who have gone that long in the Majors with an ERA under 5.00.

Does this still need to be stickied?

Turn Off Ads?