Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Braun fails drug test

Re: Ryan Braun fails drug test

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Usually best to hear all the facts before trashing the guy.
    There hasn't been one single person in this thread trash the guy. Not one.

He got caught, though. A positive test is what it is. Hard to spin that any other way.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    There hasn't been one single person in this thread trash the guy. Not one.

He got caught, though. A positive test is what it is. Hard to spin that any other way.
    Yeah, there IS a way to spin it another way. It could be a FALSE POSITIVE. They DO happen. If they re-test the sample, they'll re-test the SAME SAMPLE. If what I'm reading is correct, they re-tested and it came out negative the second time. I don't think there's a chance that they would do a second test on a second sample until they re-checked the first one.

I'm not going to make any judgment on it until I hear more though. But suffice it to say that these tests are NOT foolproof...they do come out incorrect more often than you'd think.

~edit~ I missed that post where they said that they DID re-test the same sample and it came out positive again and showed it was synthetic. That's NOT a false positive. My apologies.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 12-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Oh and Braun has known about this since late October. He knew this was coming. Not much he could have done but I bet he had a lump in his throat during his interviews the week he got the MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    While this may not happen, I think it should strongly be considered that he forfeit his MVP if his case is not overturned.
    The MVP award is the property of the Baseball Writers Association of America, not MLB.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If they are willing to levy 50 and 100 game suspensions based on the tests they give, and the union puts up with it, I'm reasonably certain Braun deserves this.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/135392393.html

But Braun was quite adamant that he will get this positive drug test overturned. He said he wanted to hold a press conference today to give his side of the story but was adviced against it while the process is ongoing.

"I can't wait to get that opportunity," said Braun.

"This is all B.S. I am completely innocent."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Braun most have incontrovertible evidence that someone pulled a Kramer and corrupted the Yogurt sample...

Kramer Charms a Scientist - YouTube
    Last edited by Brutus; 12-11-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Or perhaps Poppy seed bread is now causing false PED positives...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Or perhaps Poppy seed bread is now causing false PED positives...
    It turns out Braun isn't positive for synthetic testosterone, but has the metabolism of a 68-year old woman. He's menopausal.

I hate to say it this way, but I wonder if it might speak to the "culture" in Milwaukee. I mean, what about Weeks, Hart and Fielder? They have been having Lolapalooza for several years now, complete with gargantuan fly balls and flashy touchdown celebrations. I was completely taken off guard by Braun, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. Are they really that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    I hate to say it this way, but I wonder if it might speak to the "culture" in Milwaukee. I mean, what about Weeks, Hart and Fielder? They have been having Lolapalooza for several years now, complete with gargantuan fly balls and flashy touchdown celebrations. I was completely taken off guard by Braun, but it's not like it doesn't make sense. Are they really that good?
    Well, I did hear a rumor that Fielder's sample tested positive for doughnuts.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a7&eref=sihp

At this stage, several things are unclear. There are conflicting reports as to whether Braun's "B" sample was tested and showed exogenous testosterone. There are also reports of a second drug test, requested by Braun, that did not "test positive." I put that last in quotes because it's confusing. Remember, the "A" sample is merely a trigger. If Braun was re-tested and showed a T/E ratio below 4:1, that is not correctly called a negative test. Also, since the detectable period for testosterone is between 2 and 4 weeks, the timing of that second test is key if it is going to be used as an affirmative defense.
    Read the article. It lays out the facts.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Typical classless post. Not sure what Ohio State has to do with this. Actually I do, but it goes to motivation.

The guy got caught red-handed by a drug test. This isn't about leaks, rumors, speculation or did he/didn't he. A drug test came up with a positive result that he had a banned substance in his system. That pretty much is all that is needed.
    In that case I would have been kicked out of the military about 5 years ago when I had a false positive. Found out a few days later and requested a blood test and was cleared. Never had another issue.

I'll wait to pass judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a7&eref=sihp

Read the article. It lays out the facts.
    Thanks. Very informative.

I am curious, though. I haven't read any reports that conflict ESPN's claim that Braun's B sample was tested and showed exogenous testosterone. I wonder what he is referring to.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    In that case I would have been kicked out of the military about 5 years ago when I had a false positive. Found out a few days later and requested a blood test and was cleared. Never had another issue.

I'll wait to pass judgement.
    There's a big difference between false positives with routine drug tests and synthetic testosterone.

We're not talking about advil being able to flag a false positive on a routine urine sample. Their testing procedures, policies and list of acceptable substances that can show up are pretty thorough. And many of these substances are not going to be triggered by anything legal.

Turn Off Ads?