Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Braun fails drug test

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Ryan Braun fails drug test

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    If it was a positive result for a banned substance, it doesn't matter. Banned substance is a banned substance.
    Correct. JC Romero tested positive, as he says, for using 6-OXO Extreme, which you used to be able to buy at any GNC in America. He then sued the company who makes it and the product is no longer available. He still served 50 games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Correct. JC Romero tested positive, as he says, for using 6-OXO Extreme, which you used to be able to buy at any GNC in America. He then sued the company who makes it and the product is no longer available. He still served 50 games.
    Yep. These guys, every year, have to read the drug policy which includes the list of banned substances. They have to agree they have understood the policy and they sign the document and return it to Major League Baseball. Ignorance is very, very clearly spelled out as not an excuse. If they desire to take any medication or substance of any kind, they're informed in this document to seek clarification from the league to alleviate doubts.

Guys simply don't have an excuse for failing this test. Perhaps not all of them were intending to use 'performance enhancing drugs,' but as far as the policy, it really doesn't matter. In the end, almost all of them, despite what they say, were probably trying to use something they thought would help their performance in some direct or indirect way. There may be some situations where they thought the substance did not include anything banned by baseball, but the intent was ultimately the same in some form.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.990020

Milwaukee Brewers' star outfielder Ryan Braun's original test for performance-enhancing drugs as the playoffs were winding down in October was "insanely high, the highest ever for anyone who has ever taken a test, twice the level of the highest test ever taken," said a source familiar with the developing case in which Braun was reported to have tested positive for an elevated level of testosterone caused by a synthetic substance, triggering a possible 50-game suspension if the test results are upheld.
    The never-before-seen ratio, according to the source, is one of several "highly unusual circumstances" Braun's camp has referred to when adamantly denying that the National League Most Valuable Player ingested a performance-enhancing drug that caused the positive test.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

You would think that it would be in a team's best interest to have a compliance guy whom players ran supplements by before they ingested them.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    You would think that it would be in a team's best interest to have a compliance guy whom players ran supplements by before they ingested them.
    They do. Every trainer in baseball is that guy. Sometimes guys make mistakes. Sometimes the supplements are simply tainted by things that aren't listed as ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    They do. Every trainer in baseball is that guy. Sometimes guys make mistakes. Sometimes the supplements are simply tainted by things that aren't listed as ingredients.
    With the amt of money that is flowing through this game, you'd think that each team would vet any substances being used by their players.

What happened to just eating an apple a day?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    What happened to just eating an apple a day?
    You know, I don't know how serious you are, but the same thought crosses my mind.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...97882/33793388

By C. Trent Rosecrans

The Baseball Writers Association of America will not strip Ryan Braun of his National League Most Valuable Player award if he is suspended for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, BBWAA secretary-treasurer Jack O'Connell told the Los Angeles Times.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    Volquez didn't get to take a 2nd test. No way. Out 50 games, and that is that....
    Great point

Experts say that false positives are nearly impossible under the carbon-isotope testing performed by WADA.
    Isn't that pretty telling?

For those that continue to say "we don't know all the facts" and we should wait until we pass judgment. My question is, why? Is it because he's a great player? Is it because it's unexpected?

If a new positive test came out against A-Rod and he denied it adamantly, would you still wait to rush to judgment?

I'd like to hear what Braun has to say, but I've seen enough attorneys compose excuses for me to make me sick. Witness Jeremy Mayfield in NASCAR. Had all kinds of excuses and then got caught with his banned controlled substance on his property and lots of stolen goods to pay for it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For those that continue to say "we don't know all the facts" and we should wait until we pass judgment. My question is, why? Is it because he's a great player? Is it because it's unexpected?

If a new positive test came out against A-Rod and he denied it adamantly, would you still wait to rush to judgment?
    For me, it's because we really don't know all the facts yet. Everything we have learned has come from leaks or Braun's lawyers, and some of it is conflicting.

I'll reserve final judgement until I read official reports on what happened.

That said, I do think that if what has been leaked, by both camps, is true, it's nearly impossible to defend Braun.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    For me, it's because we really don't know all the facts yet. Everything we have learned has come from leaks or Braun's lawyers, and some of it is conflicting.

I'll reserve final judgement until I read official reports on what happened.

That said, I do think that if what has been leaked, by both camps, is true, it's nearly impossible to defend Braun.
    You know, I've said the same thing over and over in my hobby/job as a NASCAR reporter. In each case, the sanctioning body ahs always been riight 100% of the time. MLB, NASCAR, NBA, and whatever sport you want to mention are always right. It's just the way it is. Regardless of how any of us feel, Ryan Braun is suspended for 50 games.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?