Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/11

Birthdays: 12/11

Reds:

Willie Canate (40) -Venezuelan OF the Reds claimed in the 1992 Rule 5 draft, then traded to Toronto a few weeks later. Appeared only briefly for Toronto.

Thomas Howard (47) -Here's a trivia quiz for those of you who are also Bengal fans: How many Reds and Bengals have shared the same name? Off the top of my head, the Thomas Howards are the only ones, but I bet there's more.

Fred Toney -Famous for his 1917 no-hit duel with Hippo Vaughn. 1918 wasn't so kind to him; he was arrested for draft evasion, and later for violation of the Mann Act.

Charles "Old Hoss" Radbourn -Legendary ironman pitcher with somewhere between 58 and 60 wins in 1884, depending on what source you use. Bothered through his career by leg cramps; the term "charley horse" may have been created in reference to his problem. Finished his career with the 1891 Reds.

Others:

Derek Bell (43) -I don't know quite what to say about Derek; he was a good player, but everything I read about him seems to indicate that he was just not a very nice person.

Jay Bell (46) -Scored the winning run in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series. Broke Ozzie Smith's 13-year run of Gold Glove victories. Also an excellent bunter.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 12/11

Jay Bell was one of several players who managed to get their money out of Allen Stanford's bank in Antigua before it collapsed.
    Others included Greg Maddux (who withdrew $3 million three weeks before it went kaput), Bernie Williams, Andruw Jones, JD Drew and Carlos Peņa.
    All Scott Boras clients.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Next on my book reading list is 59 in 84. It's an accounting of Old Hoss Radbournes season in which he won 59 games. Even though I know baseball was totally different in those days that's still an amazing feat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Derek Bell (43) -I don't know quite what to say about Derek; he was a good player, but everything I read about him seems to indicate that he was just not a very nice person.
    During the spring of 2002 the Pirates released Bell and therefore had to pay him $4.5 million not to play for them. Bell moved onto his yacht.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette columnist Mark Madden summarized the incident with "Derek Bell becomes the ultimate Pirate: Lives on a boat and steals money."

Turn Off Ads?