Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

Re: Where's the Tim Tebow thread?

A multi-million dollar publicity stunt. What a tool this Woody Johnson is. It almost makes me feel sorry for Tebow. He has no idea what he's getting into.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tebow is going to the Jets because Tony "Wildcat" Sparano is their offensive coordinator. No, he doesn't have to start but he is something completely different that a defensive coordinator has to plan for. Great move for a fourth and sixth round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red View Post
    Tebow is going to the Jets because Tony "Wildcat" Sparano is their offensive coordinator. No, he doesn't have to start but he is something completely different that a defensive coordinator has to plan for. Great move for a fourth and sixth round pick.
    Creating a quarterback controversy (when you've just given your young starting quarterback a multimillion dollar extension) so you can throw in the wildcat a few times a game? The wildcat? Setting up a situation where the fans will be calling for Sanchez to be replaced the first time he makes a mistake? Creating a total media circus?

This isn't about winning games , this is about selling PSLs.

Not only did they sign their QB who still had 2 years left on his contract to an extension, they also went out and signed a decent backup this offseason in Drew Stanton.

NY is one of the few NFL cities that just doesn't seem to mesh with Tebow's Lilly white Christian image. They won't care one iota about that. Like others have said, this just makes no sense at all. I really am clueless as to why they thought this was a good idea.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Not only did they sign their QB who still had 2 years left on his contract to an extension, they also went out and signed a decent backup this offseason in Drew Stanton.

NY is one of the few NFL cities that just doesn't seem to mesh with Tebow's Lilly white Christian image. They won't care one iota about that. Like others have said, this just makes no sense at all. I really am clueless as to why they thought this was a good idea.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't understand why the Jets handled it like they did. I'd be on their side if they said this move was made so they could use Tebow in Wildcat formations, special teams, whatever but when they added that he'd be #2 on the depth chart, that puts pressure on Sanchez and invites a QB controversy. They should have started off the yr like Denver did last yr when Tebow went to training camp as the 3rd or 4th QB on the depth chart

Sounds like Tebow had a choice between the Jets and the Jags. I guess he didn't think that even he could help the Jags win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

That's weird if it's true he had a choice. It could be he thought the pressure of being home would be overwhelming. It's also possible he fears he would taint his legacy down here which is about as god-like as it gets. He can go nowhere but down here. Ive never seen an athlete worshipped to the degree Tebow is here in north Florida.

It seems like Elway and Tebow have both been just barely vague enough in their responses to the question of whose choice it was to leave both with a little plausible deniability.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I am surprised that Tebow was traded for pretty much a song. He went from a starting NFL QB to becoming a wild cat QB and a novelty. I was never a believer in what Tebow was doing but thought that he had a place on a NFL team. I am even more shocked that there wasn't at team out there willing to give up a draft pick and give him a chance to start.

I think Tebow in a 5-10 play per game can be a valuable option. I also don't think he would be that bad of a backup QB with the opportunity to develop. The problem becomes that in order for Tebow to start the offensive scheme must be totally revamped. There really isn't a similar situation, maybe Philly, so your scraping your original offense if your starting QB goes down. That said for a 5th and 6th rounder, Tim Tebow adds value to your team.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post

The Jets are trying to sell tickets and merchandise. They are competing with the World Champion Giants not only in the same market, but at the same stadium. Plus they have an owner who needs to be in the limelight.

There's plenty of New Yorkers who will buy the uniforms and even tickets because they want to be where the action is. And then there is the New York media which is a force unto itself. They even broke into local shows yesterday to show Tevo's private plane landing at La Guardia (Yes Tevo has a private plane). Finally, Tevo has his own national cult that will buy this stuff.

Follow the money (and the media exposure).

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I am surprised that Tebow was traded for pretty much a song. He went from a starting NFL QB to becoming a wild cat QB and a novelty. I was never a believer in what Tebow was doing but thought that he had a place on a NFL team. I am even more shocked that there wasn't at team out there willing to give up a draft pick and give him a chance to start.

I think Tebow in a 5-10 play per game can be a valuable option. I also don't think he would be that bad of a backup QB with the opportunity to develop. The problem becomes that in order for Tebow to start the offensive scheme must be totally revamped. There really isn't a similar situation, maybe Philly, so your scraping your original offense if your starting QB goes down. That said for a 5th and 6th rounder, Tim Tebow adds value to your team.
    I don't think it's that surprising. DEN had to get rid of him. But there weren't a lot of suitors for him. I would think that most GMs had seen enough of him to realize that he's not going to be a starting QB for many teams. He has little value as a starting QB. In the pass-happy NFL, no one's going to confuse Tebow with Aaron Rogers. If a team wanted him to be their starter, they were going to have to do like DEN did and scrap their offense and build an attack minimizing Tebow's throwing. MIA didn't want him and I don't know if JAC would have made him their starter over Gabbert or just used him as a Wildcat QB. The Jets, being the Jets, wanted him for publicity (read: steal the back pages of the tabloids away from the Giants) and as a Wildcat QB. How much is that worth?

The thing you have to ask yourself is if adding Tebow as a Wildcat QB - which is no longer a novelty - makes the Jets a better team? The Jets seemed to use the old Chicago Cubs' philosophy of adding a player that did well against you to improve the team. Tebow burnt both Ryan and Sparano last year so you could see them thinking that if he was good enough to beat their teams, he'd be a great addition to the Jets. Adding Tebow and ignoring their other holes is only going to work for a little while.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Its the middle of the Sweet 16, Joba is out for the year, Linsanity is still an issue, and the Rangers are playing well.

So what is WFAN talking about 24/7: Tebow. Amazing.

I will be surprised if Tebow's association with the Jets ends well for either Tebow or the Jets. It looks like a poor fit for both sides.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

I think you pretty much answered your own question. It's one thing for a team, like Denver, to throw out their offense and switch to a college-style attack out of pure midseason desperation. But I don't think any teams out there are willing to make an organizational commitment to that style.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?