Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you use self-checkout?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time. I want in and out as quick as possible.

35 47.30%
  • Sometimes if I have a few items. Anything bigger and I go through the registers.

22 29.73%
  • Only if the cash registers are backed up and I need to get out ASAP

11 14.86%
  • I refuse to use self-checkout

6 8.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self-Checkout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Self-Checkout

I'm kinda curious for responses on this as I currently work in retail. I personally use them all the time because I want to get in and out of places (especially Wal-Mart) as quick as humanly possible. On the other hand, there are some people who feel that U-Scan's, self-checkout, etc. take jobs away from the cashiers.

Which category do you fall into?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Self-Checkout

It all depends. Sometimes the technology is a little lacking on the self-checkout, so I avoid it. I've never really heard the "it eliminates jobs" angle, but that doesn't really bother me.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    It all depends. Sometimes the technology is a little lacking on the self-checkout, so I avoid it. I've never really heard the "it eliminates jobs" angle, but that doesn't really bother me.
    It bothers me but I think its not going to do much good to fight it. Still, I prefer checkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Still, I prefer checkers.
    Especially when they don't look me in the eye or otherwise acknowledge that I'm a living, breathing person, as happens all too often in most grocery stores. Honestly, that drives me to self checks just as much as the convenience factor.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Especially when they don't look me in the eye or otherwise acknowledge that I'm a living, breathing person, as happens all too often in most grocery stores. Honestly, that drives me to self checks just as much as the convenience factor.
    +1

I agree.

It's not like I'm anti-social, I just hate dealing with people.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I agree.

It's not like I'm anti-social, I just hate dealing with people.
    Maybe I project a creepy vibe that keeps them from interacting with me. I could believe that.

this is an in-general rant, not directed at SunDeck personally. They just happened to bring something up that is a pet peeve of mine as a grocery employee. "You" is being used in general here. and be forewarned, I'm going off on a tangent here and sidetracking the original subject.

Ok, I'll give you that some checkers just don't acknowledge customers as much as they should. Those ones need a smack, but the majority of checkers are hard working people who are taking care of a family just like you are. HOWEVER, when you go through a line do YOU acknowledge the checker/bagger also? Or are you too busy yakking away on that cell phone implanted in your head? Do you act with common courtesy, or do you treat the person helping you like a peon that put dog poop on your porch step? There is a huge difference between "Service" and "Servant", and your grocery/department store checker is not a *servant*. they're providing a service, and deserve a little bit of respect and courtesy.

Before I became a cake decorator, I was a checker, and checker trainer. and I know how many times I've wanted to stuff those cell phones up someone's.... um..., nose..... there have also been times where I have comethisclose to asking them if they talk to their mama the way they do checkers.
    Last edited by foxfire123; 12-13-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    this is an in-general rant, not directed at SunDeck personally. They just happened to bring something up that is a pet peeve of mine as a grocery employee. "You" is being used in general here. and be forewarned, I'm going off on a tangent here and sidetracking the original subject.

Ok, I'll give you that some checkers just don't acknowledge customers as much as they should. Those ones need a smack, but the majority of checkers are hard working people who are taking care of a family just like you are. HOWEVER, when you go through a line do YOU acknowledge the checker/bagger also? Or are you too busy yakking away on that cell phone implanted in your head? Do you act with common courtesy, or do you treat the person helping you like a peon that put dog poop on your porch step? There is a huge difference between "Service" and "Servant", and your grocery/department store checker is not a *servant*. they're providing a service, and deserve a little bit of respect and courtesy.

Before I became a cake decorator, I was a checker, and checker trainer. and I know how many times I've wanted to stuff those cell phones up someone's.... um..., nose..... there have also been times where I have comethisclose to asking them if they talk to their mama the way they do checkers.
    No argument from me- the world is full of inconsiderate people. I work in direct customer service and it never ceases to amaze me how people will take a cell phone call right in the middle of our transaction, while I'm trying to help them.

Personally, I love the self-checkout and will use it anytime i can.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    HOWEVER, when you go through a line do YOU acknowledge the checker/bagger also? Or are you too busy yakking away on that cell phone implanted in your head? Do you act with common courtesy, or do you treat the person helping you like a peon that put dog poop on your porch step? There is a huge difference between "Service" and "Servant", and your grocery/department store checker is not a *servant*. they're providing a service, and deserve a little bit of respect and courtesy.
    Having spent a few years of my youth as a bagger, I totally empathize with this. There's a lot of rudeness on display from customers. I'd tell each customer to have a good day, and I'd say 90% of them would would just grunt in response or simply ignore me. To this day I always make sure to be polite to those in customer service, because I remember how much it sucked being on the receiving end most times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    It bothers me but I think its not going to do much good to fight it. Still, I prefer checkers.
    Depends on who the checker is. Here at the local Walmart we got a few humdingers. LOL

I use for their speed and convenience if I'm only purchasing a few items. But other then that I stick with checkers. If the technology is too successful then that means more people getting replaced and in the unemployment line.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Sometimes, it really depends on the quantity.

They call me "chef"

The only negative thing I've encountered with self check out is when the store gets busy, you always have 3 of the 6 checkout stands being stonewalled by people staring blankly into the screen, frozen and unable to figure out what to do next, and then there is always one pushy guy a few people behind you who keeps bouncing around ready to run ahead of the entire line because we are all "wasting" his time unnecessarily by not bum rushing the slowpokes.

But besides that, on slow days, I prefer them.

If I have a few items I do self-checkout. If you have more than a few items it is actually faster to wait in line and go to the regular checkout with a cashier and a bagger.

I thought this was a family site?

I understand the importance of self-checkouts, and they should be done on a regular basis, just in case, but do we really need to discuss it in a thread on this site? Kinda personal, if you ask me

Turn Off Ads?