Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you use self-checkout?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time. I want in and out as quick as possible.

35 47.30%
  • Sometimes if I have a few items. Anything bigger and I go through the registers.

22 29.73%
  • Only if the cash registers are backed up and I need to get out ASAP

11 14.86%
  • I refuse to use self-checkout

6 8.11%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Self-Checkout

Re: Self-Checkout

I like to see from how far away I can shoot a cart into the corral. So yes, always.
    As for fast food restaurants- it's not nearly as fun, but I bus my table always.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Let's see how well trained we are. Who returns their shopping cart? Who buses their own fast food table?
    Yep, both always.

If I find a stray cart in the lot and my hands are free, I'll return it to the corral on my way into the store.

And my youngest works at the local Chick-Fil-A and she says its amazing how many people just get up and walk away from their trash.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Considering I had to replace a fender thanks to a lazy person not returning their cart, I always take mine to the corrals.

double post

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I don't often have to buy a lot of things at one time at the store so I like to use the self service check out because it's quicker for me. My biggest pet peeves about those checkouts though is when someone doesn't know how to use it and stands there looking like an idiot without asking for help (or takes 2 hrs to process their order of six items), and when someone gets in line with a flipping cartful of about twenty plus items and then take forever to scan them all. If you have a cartfull of groceries, go to the other checkout lines because the self service ones are for SMALL ORDERS ONLY and twenty items is NOT small. Irks me to no end when someone thinks that's okay and holds up all these people (like me) who are standing there holding about three items and waiting on their sorry behind to get done. /end rant

And I always return a cart when I use one and clean up my table at a fast food restaurant. It's a force of habit by now and I've also worked fast food before so that makes a difference too. My current problem is walking through a store and starting to pick up or refold clothes as I walk by since I'm working a part time retail job through the holidays. It's a new force of habit to clean up the area as I walk by all the messes and I really need to break it after the new year, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Put me down for "never". Part of the cost of groceries is paying for the employee's services. The store doesnt discount my bill for saving on their labor costs, so I always be sure to get what I'm paying for.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    Put me down for "never". Part of the cost of groceries is paying for the employee's services. The store doesnt discount my bill for saving on their labor costs, so I always be sure to get what I'm paying for.
    Well, dude. I hope that next time a cart gets left in the middle of a parking lot and starts rolling, it's YOUR car it slams into and not mine. Like I said, done replaced a fender because of that. (and currently have a small dent in a rear quarter panel from another cart runaway....)

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Well, dude. I hope that next time a cart gets left in the middle of a parking lot and starts rolling, it's YOUR car it slams into and not mine. Like I said, done replaced a fender because of that. (and currently have a small dent in a rear quarter panel from another cart runaway....)
    I think you misread his post. He was saying he never uses SCO due to paying for employee services, aka keeping the employees jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think you misread his post. He was saying he never uses SCO due to paying for employee services, aka keeping the employees jobs.
    Yeah, I think I did too. I apologize. I was still in mental mode of the carts part of the discussion and went with that without thinking.

(See, women CAN admit we're occasionally wrong! *snerk*)

As for getting the service you "pay" for a higher end groceries--yes! insist on it! If you're paying a premium price for groceries/whatever, you have a right to good service. Just be realistic and kind about what you expect, please. We'll help you to your car, but unloading it at home and cooking it for you isn't an option, sorry.

When it comes to Walmart's self-checkout system, and I don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not, what makes me laugh is when you have items you don't want to bag, or can't, due to size. After you reach that limit of three it stops you from proceeding further until an attendant comes and resets it. And you usually have to flag them down. They say they do it to help prevent theft. Yeah, like I'm going to shove a 24 count carton of pop down my shorts.

And then there's the time factor between scanning and getting the item into one of those plastic bags (which are all stuck together) before you get the dreaded "PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!" Have you ever tried to get a 24 dbl roll pack of AngelSoft TP into one of those bags? LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When it comes to Walmart's self-checkout system, and I don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not, what makes me laugh is when you have items you don't want to bag, or can't, due to size. After you reach that limit of three it stops you from proceeding further until an attendant comes and resets it. And you usually have to flag them down. They say they do it to help prevent theft. Yeah, like I'm going to shove a 24 count carton of pop down my shorts.

And then there's the time factor between scanning and getting the item into one of those plastic bags (which are all stuck together) before you get the dreaded "PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!" Have you ever tried to get a 24 dbl roll pack of AngelSoft TP into one of those bags? LOL
    At the grocery by me, there is an open scale next to the one with the four rotating bags where you can place larger items such as TP...

I have heard some stores doing away with the self checkouts due to them breaking down, thefts, and the person monitoring them could probably checkout the customers faster the old fashion way at one register than have them using four self check out stations.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/09/1...heckout-lanes/
    Last edited by RBA; 12-21-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    As for getting the service you "pay" for a higher end groceries--yes! insist on it! If you're paying a premium price for groceries/whatever, you have a right to good service. Just be realistic and kind about what you expect, please. We'll help you to your car, but unloading it at home and cooking it for you isn't an option, sorry.
    Talk to my wife about it. She's the one that give me the skunk eye when I'm idly standing by when groceries are piling up with a bagger nowhere in sight. Being a participant in the marriage continuation plan, I bag the groceries.

We grocery shop at Biggs/Remke and Kroger (with side trips to Whole Foods). Biggs isn't an issue because its self-bag. When we run into this kind of issue is when we do a big shopping trip at off-hour times. Kroger is usually staffed up at busy times but in off-hours, they may only have a couple lanes open and no baggers. And if we have a full cart, the checkout person has their hands full with ringing stuff up. A manager may get flagged down to bag, but more times than not, its just me standing there and I say "what the hell" and start bagging. I want to get in and get out and I don't want to wait around for someone to finally do their job and I'm not their QA.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

At the military commissary (grocery store) the baggers work for tips only. I wish they would go ahead and pay them a wage, because I normally do not carry cash around and it becomes a hassle when I scrambling to find some tip money in my pockets or have to get to a machine to get cash and than I am not going to give them a $20 to bag groceries, so I need to get change from that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    At the military commissary (grocery store) the baggers work for tips only. I wish they would go ahead and pay them a wage, because I normally do not carry cash around and it becomes a hassle when I scrambling to find some tip money in my pockets or have to get to a machine to get cash and than I am not going to give them a $20 to bag groceries, so I need to get change from that.
    People that work for tips... the business owners best friend. They can legally pay well under minimum wage for workers because the customer is expected to directly pay that worker. Really bothers me.

Turn Off Ads?