Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Red Sox get reliever for Lowrie, Weiland

Red Sox get reliever for Lowrie, Weiland

The Red Sox acquired reliever Mark Melancon from the Astros for shortstop Jed Lowrie and starter Kyle Weiland, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. ESPN's Jerry Crasnick first tweeted that Weiland was traded in a deal that involved a reliever going to Boston.

Weiland, 25, struggled in 24 2/3 innings in his Red Sox debut this year. At Triple-A, he posted a 3.58 ERA, 8.8 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, and 0.70 HR/9 in 128 1/3 innings. A third-round pick in 2008, Baseball America ranked Weiland 20th among Red Sox prospects prior to the season. BA says the former Notre Dame closer "relishes pitching inside" and his "best pitch is a low-90s fastball that peaks at 95 but is most notable for its hard sink."
    This was a move that I thought we should have made. We would have gotten a quality utility infielder who can hit (unlike Janish) and can play all infield positions. We also would have added potential to our AAA rotation. I thought Masset would have been able to do the trick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red Sox get reliever for Lowrie, Weiland

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    This was a move that I thought we should have made. We would have gotten a quality utility infielder who can hit (unlike Janish) and can play all infield positions. We also would have added potential to our AAA rotation. I thought Masset would have been able to do the trick.
    Somehow, Walt can't seem to be able to make any deals though. There just aren't any trades out there to be made.

The Red Sox are still in on multiple starters and closers, tweets Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. It's a good bet that they'll land either the starter or closer that they're after and may get both.
    And it's an even better bet that Jocketty won't.

Lowrie has had some flashes of brilliance, but he's had serious trouble staying healthy, and in a sizable chunk of playing time last year, he produced a .303 OBP. Granted, even that kind of offensive performance is better than Janish, but I'm not sure it's 1) worth giving up a competent reliever like Masset 2) worth accepting Lowrie's sub-par defense or 3) any better than what someone like Todd Frazier could already provide.

With Cordero a free agent, it's not like we have many relievers to spare for a guy that wouldn't even be our starting SS. Ondrusek, Bray, LeCure, Horst, Fisher, Arredondo, Boxberger with no help in AAA isn't going to scare anybody.
    Last edited by The DARK; 12-14-2011 at 01:58 PM.

I see it the other way. We should have went after Melancon. Wandy and him for Cozart or Billy Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I see it the other way. We should have went after Melancon. Wandy and him for Cozart or Billy Hamilton.
    Ditto... I think he might have actually made a great closer, at least until Boxberger gets a shot. Hamilton's a flashy guy and would give their system a major boost, while we get a reliable closer to help us shed Cordero's payroll and win now.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Ditto... I think he might have actually made a great closer, at least until Boxberger gets a shot. Hamilton's a flashy guy and would give their system a major boost, while we get a reliable closer to help us shed Cordero's payroll and win now.
    If the goal is to shed payroll, going for Wandy might not be the best move-- he's owed 36 million over the next three years. (The sad part is that's essentially what Bronson was just extended for.)

Regardless, if the Reds did move Cozart for Wandy, what would you suggest for shortstop? I noticed the Yankees won the rights to Hiroyuki Nakajima and don't know what to do with him. Perhaps a sign and trade with the Reds could be in order in this scenario?
    Last edited by LegallyMinded; 12-15-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    If the goal is to shed payroll, going for Wandy might not be the best move-- he's owed 36 million over the next three years. (The sad part is that's essentially what Bronson was just extended for.)

Regardless, if the Reds did move Cozart for Wandy, what would you suggest for shortstop? I noticed the Yankees won the rights to Hiroyuki Nakajima and don't know what to do with him. Perhaps a sign and trade with the Reds could be in order in this scenario?
    If we had the spoils I mention above and Cozart is traded, we could afford Janish in the lineup hitting 8th until the trade deadline, then grab an All Star caliber SS for nearly nothing from a non contender.

Turn Off Ads?