Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/16

Birthdays: 12/16

Reds:

Josh Hall (30) -Started six times for the 2003 Reds at age 22, then hurt his arm and was never able to make it back to the majors. It seems like a million years since he pitched for the Reds, but he'd still be in his prime now...

Chris Jones (46) -Much traveled OF who started his career with the Reds in 1991. He was both an original Colorado Rockie and an original Arizona Diamondback.

Others:

Mike Flanagan -Attended the University of Massachusetts where he played freshman basketball and crossed paths with the young Julis Erving. He described the experience this way:

"I really didnít know much about Dr. J until I came down on a fast break and pulled up to take a jump shot. Dr. J was nowhere in the area but, out of nowhere, he blocked the shot and nine players were running the other way. First thing I thought? Better work on my slider, because this is a whole different level of play."

His oldest daughter was the first in-vitro fertilization child to be delivered without a Caesarean. A genuinely funny, likeable man whose life ended tragically.

Neil Chrisley (80) -Maybe the only player in major league history whose real name was Barbra.

Sammy Strang -Nicknamed the "Dixie Thrush", he led the AL in OBP in 1906 and later coached at Georgia Tech and West Point.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 12/16

Adolfo Phillips turns 71 today. He was the first player to strike out in nine consecutive at bats. Five others have done it since, including our own Eric Davis.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Re: Birthdays: 12/16

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Adolfo Phillips turns 71 today. He was the first player to strike out in nine consecutive at bats. Five others have done it since, including our own Eric Davis.
    The Drew Stubbs of his day. A couple decent power/speed years to begin his career (better than Drew) and faded away by the time he was 30.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?