Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Yonder, Mes and another prospect......

Yonder, Mes and another prospect......

Reports are that A's are asking for Yonder, Mes or Grandal and another prospect for Gio. If I were the Red's I would jump on that deal (depending on who the 3rd prospect is and they would take Grandal over Mes.) Call me crazy but we've got to deal some of these studs we have coming through the system plus Gio would be under club control through 2015.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yonder, Mes and another prospect......

I agree. I was wishing they would get shields or nothing. But all morning ive been looking at gio and now im a fan of the deal. The control thru 2015 is huge and I think a lefty in the rotation that is going to give you 200 innings would be a nice compliment to all the RH starters. Initially I didnt want him like others due to high walk rate but it has been on the decline since he came up and sometimes it just comes with territory of a high strikeout pitcher. Lincecum is always atop the leaderboard in walks as well.

I would likely bite on that deal if I were Oakland. And it seems to be the type of high value package they are looking for.

Should the Reds do it? Well that's a tough call. Walt probably won't.

I agree. I was wishing they would get shields or nothing. But all morning ive been looking at gio and now im a fan of the deal. The control thru 2015 is huge and I think a lefty in the rotation that is going to give you 200 innings would be a nice compliment to all the RH starters. Initially I didnt want him like others due to high walk rate but it has been on the decline since he came up and sometimes it just comes with territory of a high strikeout pitcher. Lincecum is always atop the leaderboard in walks as well.

If Walt honestly believes Gio is a major upgrade then he should bite the bullet and overpay. The way I look at it the Reds have a serious two-year Votto-window left. If Gonzalez pitches well then even when Joey leaves at the end of the 2013 season, Gio will be under club control for 2 more years. He will only be 27. He should net a nice return in prospects. So it is like the Reds are just renting him for two years. If they play their cards right they recoup most if not all of the talent they gave up for him and they had the use of him for two years while the window was open widest. There is always the possibility that Gio flames out at GAPB. But then that is why they are paying Jocketty the big bucks, to make accurate player evaluations.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-16-2011 at 03:02 PM.

I personally like Gio better than Shields. I think he has more upside and I'm scared of Shields in GABP turning into the second coming of "long bomb Bronson". Although I'd prefer to hold on to Yonder to fill the void after Joey leaves I think any team we try to work out a deal with is going to require him as he is major league ready. Grandal doesn't bother me so much as he is blocked by Mes. Wonder who the 3rd prospect they are asking for is? I'd give them their choice or Bailey/Wood/Volquez.

Already know it.

I said before, the Reds offer Alonso,Grandel(they ain't getting Mes),Sappelt and Corc for Gio/Bailey.

They can do the deal. Jocketty is gunshy. It would make the system very weak, but the Reds have plenty of pieces already, especially if Bailey gets his mechanics completely honed.

Jock is gunshy after Haren fiasco I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I personally like Gio better than Shields. I think he has more upside and I'm scared of Shields in GABP turning into the second coming of "long bomb Bronson". Although I'd prefer to hold on to Yonder to fill the void after Joey leaves I think any team we try to work out a deal with is going to require him as he is major league ready. Grandal doesn't bother me so much as he is blocked by Mes. Wonder who the 3rd prospect they are asking for is? I'd give them their choice or Bailey/Wood/Volquez.
    Bailey or Volquez? Neither are prospects and could become very expensive. Wood doesn't have high enough ceiling.

Go lower in the minors, though I could see Volquez being thrown in with the main 4.

Reports are that A's are asking for Yonder, Mes or Grandal and another prospect for Gio. If I were the Red's I would jump on that deal (depending on who the 3rd prospect is and they would take Grandal over Mes.) Call me crazy but we've got to deal some of these studs we have coming through the system plus Gio would be under club control through 2015.
    Why would you give up 3 players for a pitcher who at best is a 2 guy? If we are going to go after pitching it needs to be an ACE or darn near close. Gio is a nice pitcher but nothing that rattles other teams...

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Already know it.

I said before, the Reds offer Alonso,Grandel(they ain't getting Mes),Sappelt and Corc for Gio/Bailey.

They can do the deal. Jocketty is gunshy. It would make the system very weak, but the Reds have plenty of pieces already, especially if Bailey gets his mechanics completely honed.

Jock is gunshy after Haren fiasco I am afraid.
    Why do people seem to think that is all it would take?

I'd go Yonder, either rookie catcher, and a fourth outfielder (Heisey, Sappelt, or Stubbs, pick yer poison). The Reds won't likely have room for all of them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw133 View Post
    I'd go Yonder, either rookie catcher, and a fourth outfielder (Heisey, Sappelt, or Stubbs, pick yer poison). The Reds won't likely have room for all of them anyway.
    They won't want Stubbs. Another quirk I get tired of hearing. These teams want cheap and FUTURE cheap players.

They don't want Stubbs OPS at a 825 clip and then pay him multi-millions nor do they want Homer Bailey winning 20 games and watching him leave with nothing to show a rebuilding club.

It is why the deal would get done as I said it and have heard though my sources. Because the Reds would offer cheap back at them. Jocketty is gunshy after the Haren fiasco he had with the Cardinals.

I like Gio more than any other pitcher discussed on here, but his splits suggest that his era here would be higher. Oakland is like pitching in Yosemite.

No DH, but GABP & I see 3.75 as his era level.

What I like is his ability to strikeout guys. 91 Walk is a bit high, but not bad. In GAPB, you need to either be a 2 seamer groundball guy...or a power pitcher. Wiki says he throws a 2 seamer. I've never seen the guy pitch.

At 26........he's the only guy I have heard of on here that I would even consider giving Alonzo & Grandal for. I also like that he is a lefty that could handle lefty power hitter with that wiffle ball shot to right field in GABP.

I still say we have everything we need right now....just poor leadership, but if Walt could pull this off for those 2......I wouln't grill him for it.

At least Grandal & Alonzo would be doing there damage as far away as possible.
    Last edited by FireDusty; 12-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Turn Off Ads?