Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Latos

Vottobot

Re: Reds acquire Latos

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Latos instantly becomes the Reds best pitcher. Depending on who else goes, it is a good deal for the Reds if we are going for it in '12 and '13.
    Cueto is still the ace still to me... until Latos can prove he can pitch in gabp instead of big petco, then maybe I'll entertain notions he is better than Cueto
    Go Redlegs!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Including Boxberger in addition to Alonso and Grandel makes this seem like a slight overpay, but really, I'm quite excited Latos is joining the Reds. He's young, he's under team control for a considerable time, the advanced metrics love him (or at least very kind to him), and his road/home splits aren't so severe that we should expect a huge impact from pitching in GABP. Considering the alternatives (Gio, Jurrjens, etc.), I really like this move.

With this deal the payroll obligations, if you use Cot's baseball contracts and MLB Trade Rumors arbitration projections is $66.8M! That's about $18M to work with! Beltran and a closer??

Huh.

Hopefully trading Alonso means Walt has faith in signing Votto...

I'm glad to see Volquez gone. Trading him for a bucket of popcorn and the new Mr. Red costume would have been a beneficial trade. As long as he was on the team, I'm afraid Dusty would have penciled him in.

Not so crazy about Boxberger leaving, though.

Love this move much more than rumored shields deal. I imagine they were asking for similar players.

Quote Originally Posted by tedies View Post
    Cueto is still the ace still to me... until Latos can prove he can pitch in gabp instead of big petco, then maybe I'll entertain notions he is better than Cueto
    Cueto's barely a number 2 with his K numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Cueto's barely a number 2 with his K numbers.
    I love Cueto, but he's due for regression. Latos is a true TOP pitcher no matter what ballpark he is in.

Cueto isn't an ace in my eyes if he can't throw for more then 180 IP!

part of BBN

From a matchup standpoint (using STL as example),
    Cueto-Latos vs Carpenter-Wainright sounds alot better than Cueto-Leake. I like Leake but I thought the Reds needed to do something to push him to a number 3 where prior to this, he was Probably our 2.
    Super deal and maybe another move or two to come.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I love Mat Latos and I love the fact that we appear to be going all-in but...wow...we gave up a king's ransom. I would have been okay if it was Yonder/Grandal/Volquez/Boxberger for Latos + another piece but, straight up is a bit too much to pay in my estimation. That's a LOT of talent leaving Cincinnati. Still, I'm excited about Latos, for sure.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Pathetic.

Jockerty should be fired.

We just cleared out the upper half of our Minor League System for 1 pitcher who comes from a pitchers park.

This organization now needs to fire the GM, the Manager, The Pitching Coach & the Hitting Coach.

Dark days ahead.

The Padres just added their future closer, their current first baseman, future all star Jorge Posada with better defene catcher.

We were absolutely raped.

While the Reds certain gave up a lot, I really like this deal.

Latos is a legitimate top of the rotation arm and he is under team control for the next four years, the first couple of which he should be relatively cheap. I like a lot of the guys they dealt away but realistically the only player that figured to make any sort of impact this season was Alonso and I'm not sure he'd have logged a ton of playing time without Votto getting injured.

Given the uncertainty in St. Louis and Milwaukee, this was the time to strike and the Reds have done just that. Play to win now and worry about the future tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tedies View Post
    For what it's worth, over the course of his career, Latos has given up fewer homeruns on the road than at home. The difference is slight (.83HR/9 vs. .81HR/9), but to me, that's an indication that pitching away from Petco shouldn't be too harmful.

So we get a legit #1 pitcher who is not even arbitration eligible and gave up NO ONE who had any chance of starting next year and people are upset? Ya I hate to see Yonder go too....but do you think the Padres are just gonna give Latos away?

Latos career ERA is 2.96 on the road. 3.20 at Petco. So everyone who is trying to make the case for him only being good because of Petco is wrong.

I am excited about this deal, we begged Walt for a deal, so now that he made one, why not look at the glass half full?

Turn Off Ads?