Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Latos

Re: Reds acquire Latos

I like getting a guy like latos no question. There is no arguing this moves makes our team better at the moment. I think the only mistake we made was boxeberger. He is the only player that we gave up in that trade that would have significantly helped us in the future imo. Everyone else we got rid of has better players infront of them. If we could have gotten a decent reliever back or maybe given up a guy like Josh Smith or a AAA reliever that isnt boxeberger. Either way, we just got a future ace. Im happy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does anyone know what EV was scheduled to get in 2012? Or was he going to arb?

edit: MLB trade rumors projected EV to get $2.7 million in arbitration, so we just saved over 2+ Million that we can use towards someone else.
    Last edited by DocRed; 12-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    It tells me Alonso didn't fit into our future plans. That makes him expendable.
    Grandal is blocked by Mesoraco, he's expendable.
    Boxberger is a reliever, he's expendable.
    Volquez is Volquez, he's expendable.

It doesn't matter what the Padres get out of them, with the makeup of our team they were all trade assets.
    100% true. Love this. Its very true

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Fangraphs has a writeup on the trade already, and Dave Cameron seems to think it could work out very well for both teams. Also, regarding whether Mat Latos is an ace, the article has some nice context, and notes that Latos is comparable to Jon Lester, Jered Weaver and Justin Verlander. That's certainly some "ace-like" company.
    From the article:

Latos began the 2011 season on the disabled list with shoulder bursitis – never a great thing for a pitcher – and missed a few starts in 2010 after straining his side while holding in a sneeze. That’s not exactly the type of injury you expect to recur, but the fact that he’s only averaged about 3,000 pitchers per season the last two years does mean that he hasn’t yet shown that he can hold up under the types of workloads that contenders hope to get from their aces.

With the Reds gunning for a playoff spot in 2012, the restraints are going to have to come off their prized off-season acquisition, and they’ll be forced to ask him to increase his workload, both in terms of games pitched and how many pitches he throws – he’s only crossed the 110 pitch threshold in four of his 72 career starts – in those games.

Dave Cameron - Fangraph

My Take: For what we gave up, we should have received more. This guy has "flameout" written all over him & anybody thinking we just got a guy that will make every start and go 250 innings and be an 18 to 20 game winner is stoned.

We just traded 3 future All Stars for a 12 to 14 game winnder who will make 1 trip to the DL every year.

Horrid trade.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    From the article:

Latos began the 2011 season on the disabled list with shoulder bursitis – never a great thing for a pitcher – and missed a few starts in 2010 after straining his side while holding in a sneeze. That’s not exactly the type of injury you expect to recur, but the fact that he’s only averaged about 3,000 pitchers per season the last two years does mean that he hasn’t yet shown that he can hold up under the types of workloads that contenders hope to get from their aces.

With the Reds gunning for a playoff spot in 2012, the restraints are going to have to come off their prized off-season acquisition, and they’ll be forced to ask him to increase his workload, both in terms of games pitched and how many pitches he throws – he’s only crossed the 110 pitch threshold in four of his 72 career starts – in those games.

Dave Cameron - Fangraph

My Take: For what we gave up, we should have received more. This guy has "flameout" written all over him & anybody thinking we just got a guy that will make every start and go 250 innings and be an 18 to 20 game winner is stoned.

We just traded 3 future All Stars for a 12 to 14 game winnder who will make 1 trip to the DL every year.

Horrid trade.
    If you need to release some stress, write a letter and burn it. Nobody wants to hear your negativity.

So quit bashing everything everyone is trying to say.

Everyone has their own opinion about this trade, and their entitled to that. So leave your negativity at ur home page before you type in redszone.com

From the article:

Dave Cameron - Fangraph

Horrid trade.
    Surely you would agree that the Reds had to make a move to take the next step, right?

We gave up a lotta guys that had no future on our team (minus Boxberger) for a young pitcher who we'll control for a while. If you want to become more than competitive you have to at some point make deals like this.

Walt's first priority was to upgrade the rotation. I think he did that in a big way. On to next item on the list.

takealeake

From the article:

Dave Cameron - Fangraph

Horrid trade.
    "Three future All Stars", LOL. Just like Bailey was going to be right? Just like Zach Stewart (FYI career 5.88 ERA) was a stud. Just like Brandon Claussen was a stud acquisition. Just like Austin Kearns and Felipe Lopez were 10 year franchise players, and the Reds blew it by not trying to resign Dunn.

Gotta love Reds fan syndrome. Every prospect to ever step foot in a Reds organization is a future great, but meanwhile, the only reason why we made the playoffs for the first time in 15 friggin years was making a trade for a major league proven veteran who could actually play and spur us on. And doing a better move to help us than that is bad, we should just stick with the same old tired strategy of wait and see and watch as prospect after prospect turn out to *shocker* not be anywhere close to what delusional Reds fan thinks they are.

But yeah, keep singing that same song and dance, those players are sure fire All Star's, just like all the others were.
    Last edited by takealeake; 12-17-2011 at 03:39 PM.

So...

Cueto
    Latos
    Leake
    Arroyo
    Chapman?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    So...

Cueto
    Latos
    Leake
    Arroyo
    Chapman?
    I would rather have Bailey in the rotation than Arroyo. Maybe Bronson bounces back. I think that is a big question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would rather have Bailey in the rotation than Arroyo. Maybe Bronson bounces back. I think that is a big question mark.
    I would too, but there is little to no chance of that as long as Dusty is the manager.

Oh wow I totally forgot about him haha

I could see Chapman being the Reds' closer when all is said and done.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I could see Chapman being the Reds' closer when all is said and done.
    I think he should be the closer.

This next trade/signing (assuming it happens) could prove interesting.

Another starter pushes Chapman towards the closer role.

I want to back away from the edge, but even if I could Baker is still running the show.

Cub fan co-worker salts the wound regularly. Likes to suggest the Reds make the playoffs again and Baker gets re-signed for 3 more years.
    Last edited by malcontent; 12-17-2011 at 03:53 PM.

From the article:

Dave Cameron - Fangraph

Horrid trade.
    Seriously, I don't know where you come up with these theories from. One way organizations keep their pitchers from dead arm is by inning count and the other is by pitch count. You said he's been on the DL once each of the last two years (better than Bailey, Cueto, Volquez which is who you wanted to go with this year), yet he has still thrown over 180 IP in his first two full years as a pro. Not one of our young pitchers has gotten to there! The dude will be an ACE and when he gets run support his record will be way better!

Turn Off Ads?