Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Leatherpants say's trade a bust for Reds

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Old Leatherpants say's trade a bust for Reds

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7363472

Not that ole jimbo would like anything the Reds did anyway.

Compares the trade to the mlb equivalent of the Herchel Walker trade.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Old Leatherpants say's trade a bust for Reds

Note the Nationals signed Jersey and Patriotic/DC displays in his office. Bowden does nothing other than try to bury the Reds on every chance he gets.

Quite honestly - he's lucky to have a job at ESPN after getting investigated by the Feds.

EMAW

We did not trade anyone that was a lock to start in 2012, we got a solid front line starter.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Note the Nationals signed Jersey and Patriotic/DC displays in his office. Bowden does nothing other than try to bury the Reds on every chance he gets.

Quite honestly - he's lucky to have a job at ESPN after getting investigated by the Feds.
    ESPN will hire just about anyone. Didn't Michael Irvin get busted for cocaine several years back, before he joined the NFL Countdown crew.

Ugh. A lot of things about his stupidity.

1.) Boxberger IS NOT a starter. Nobody around even projects him as such. Well, except for Bowdumb.

2.) The only reason he likes this trade from a Padres standpoint, is it's a rebuilding move. Thats all he knows, and he wasn't even ever really at that. (2003 anyone?)

Ugh..
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

If he hates it makes me more likely to think we robbed them

The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

This from the guy who traded a washed up Paul O`Neill for Roberto Kelly.

Well I think the Padres did really well, but I'm not complaining as a Reds fan either. The Padres got two guys from the major league roster, one of whom hasn't been good since July 2008. The other guys have potential, but are unproven, and much as I would have liked Boxberger in the bullpen this year, I'm not going to be too upset over losing a closer. I think the Reds overpaid, but they overpaid with guys that had limited value to the major league roster. Alonso and Grandal were blocked at their natural positions. Grandal could only play catcher of 1st, so he was never going to be in a Reds uniform. And they got back a TOR starter under control for 4 years. So I think this trade dramatically improves the major league roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Well I think the Padres did really well, but I'm not complaining as a Reds fan either. The Padres got two guys from the major league roster, one of whom hasn't been good since July 2008. The other guys have potential, but are unproven, and much as I would have liked Boxberger in the bullpen this year, I'm not going to be too upset over losing a closer. I think the Reds overpaid, but they overpaid with guys that had limited value to the major league roster. Alonso and Grandal were blocked at their natural positions. Grandal could only play catcher of 1st, so he was never going to be in a Reds uniform. And they got back a TOR starter under control for 4 years. So I think this trade dramatically improves the major league roster.
    I'm pretty sure anyone who looks at the whole picture would see this. I'm sure that's why Jocketty included those players as opposed to say, Mes or Cozart. The ONLY player that really had a chance of providing any sort of value to the Reds was Boxberger, and he's a relief pitcher. (Well, maybe Alonso in a couple years, but why waste his prime years sitting on the bench?)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

With his long history of success as a MLB GM I take his opinion very seriously.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    With his long history of success as a MLB GM I take his opinion very seriously.
    Lol.

I hate to say this, but we paid way too muchfor Latos, I like him, and think he is an awesome pitcher, but I don't think Volquuez was done, Yonder is going to be a stud and Votto might not even sign with the Reds in a few years.
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

I just can't fathom people injecting Votto's future signability into the equation as a cause for dislike here. He is signed for three more years. If he were to walk at that time, Alonso would be going on 29 years old. If he doesn't resign, there will be money in the budget to sign another talented player. Also, in the next 3 seasons, who is to say the Reds don't draft another college firstbaseman who will be ready for the majors after a year or two?

If your concern is Votto leaving, what is your answer to that concern? Trade him, put Alonso at first and then worry about extending Alonso in a few years? Play Alonso in LF and if Votto walks in 3 years, move him to first base and encounter the exact same issue of wondering if you can resign him?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

votto has 2 yrs

Lots of "coulds", "shoulds" and "somedays" in his statement. You usually only hear that many qualifiers during discussions about UFOs and Bigfoot.

Turn Off Ads?