Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

Re: If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Great call! I guess it depends on do you value the extra inning and the 2 extra hits and walks?
    I value him pulling it off with the Reds down 2 games to 0 and doing it on the road

And look at the scores to the first 5 games in 72

3-2
    2-1
    1-0
    3-2
    5-4

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I value him pulling it off with the Reds down 2 games to 0 and doing it on the road

And look at the scores to the first 5 games in 72

3-2
    2-1
    1-0
    3-2
    5-4
    Yeah, that's a fair point. I mentioned that in my original post that it depends on the circumstances in which someone pitched.

I what they quoted Bronson a saying about the 2010 season when his velocity dipped [ about how when he wasn't hitting 91 or 92 like he thought he should he would rare back an try to throw hard, then the ball would flatten out and they'd kill it, but now he's learned to go with what works back and he's relying on stealth and painting the corners>

As to the original question, would I deal him now (this offseason)? Well if, all things being equal, the Red Sox offered me Ellsbury for him and I thought Walt would go out and deal for another starter (like Garza), then yeah, I'd do it. Since though, I don't see the Red Sox being that foolish, his excelerator clauses make dealing him damn nigh impossible and since I think Bronson could easily be as effective next year as he has been this year, probably not.

Another more pertinent question might be, if Bronson comes back next year and pitches as effectively as he has this year, does Walt offer him a two or three year extension? I wouldn't, not sure about the club though.

I'd deal him tomorrow for Ellsbury. (Not that I think that's possible.)

I'd deal Arroyo because I believe Chapman would be better and cheaper in the role of starter.

I'd also deal Leake for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Right-handed Jamie Moyer[?] He may be good for five more years.
    Or 15.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

If I were offered Giancarlo Stanton for Bronson Arroyo, I might consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd deal Arroyo because I believe Chapman would be better and cheaper in the role of starter.
    I have little doubt Chapman has the stuff to be a successful starter, but after seeing him struggle with fatigue after 60 innings of relief this season, I have serious doubts about how he would hold up to the rigors of starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I have little doubt Chapman has the stuff to be a successful starter, but after seeing him struggle with fatigue after 60 innings of relief this season, I have serious doubts about how he would hold up to the rigors of starting.
    Relief innings aren't necessarily comparable to starter innings, but I definitely agree we can pretty much write off the idea of him starting a game in a Reds uniform. It's an even riskier transition at this point in the contract. If they haven't given him a chance by now, there's no way it's happening next year IMO.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If I were offered Giancarlo Stanton for Bronson Arroyo, I might consider it.
    I'd trade Chapman straight up for Stanton. And while I propose trading for Stanton often, and don't think the Marlins will seriously consider it. I do think Chapman would be enticing to their Cuban fanbase.

As much as I get excited about Chapman coming into close a game out.........so do I worry about his arm fatigue. Sometimes I wonder if we should trade him now while his value is high.

There are a lot of risks moving Chapman to the starters role at this point. Although there is vastly greater value in a top starter vs. top closer, it is far from guaranteed starter. A good portionof the reason that Chappy is a dominant closer is that he can come in for three or four batters and throw at speeds nearing (or exceeding 100+ MPH. Make him a starter and his top speeds probably fall to the 93-94 MPH range. He also would have to mix his ptches better and learn the trade of being a starter.

Not saying he couldn't, but its far from a sure thing too. Not so as a closer.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Make him a starter and his top speeds probably fall to the 93-94 MPH range.
    Top speed of 94MPH? Those are some modest expectations.

Turn Off Ads?