Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Make him the closer.
    I watched David Weathers manage to have a respectable career throwing an 89 mph fastball. Why not Bronson in relief?

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you can move Arroyo's contract you do it. Its unfortunate but in the Reds situation the contract is almost as important as the player.

But to play devils advocate Arroyo gives you starts and innings. In his time as a Red he has started at least 32 games and has pitched at least 199 innings. Last year were his lowest totals as a Red and you have to wonder if it had anything to do with mono. But if you move Arroyo who takes the innings? Cueto and Latos have never gone over 200 innings or 32 starts. Leake seems to be a clone of Arroyo but is still young and building up his arm. Bailey and Wood are wild cards and Chapman is an extreme wild card, you really don't know what you are going to get out of them.

Right now, thanks to getting Latos, the #4 and #5 starters are Homer and Arroyo.

Honestly, I can live with that

Most of the people here think that Homer will outpitch Arroyo.

Every team has a question mark for a #5 starter. Having a guy that might give you a league average ERA (or close) and pitch about 200 innings is not bad at all for a #5 starter. That seems like a reasonable prediction for Bronson, or at least a plausible one.

In essense, trading for Latos solved the Arroyo problem.
    Yea, Arroyo is expensive but if we "give" him away, then we are stuck putting Wood or Chapman in the #5 slot, which would probably give worse results.

We can hypothesize on getting a FA with Bronson's money, but there's no guarantee it will happen.

As someone else said, we can't understimate the need for an innings eater on this club, with all the youngsters in the rotation. I think people get way to focused on salaries.. If Bronson was a reclamation project that we just signed for 3 million, somehow I doubt people would worry about him.

I also disagree with making Bronson the closer. He gave up way too many hits and HR last year. If he still has that problem, he'd be a nightmare as a closer. Moving Bronson to the pen negates one of his big benefits.. when he pitches a good game, he goes deep and eats innings.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I can go along with that. I just have the sense that Arroyo is either going to be a respectable innings-eater, like he was before 2011, or awful again, like in 2011. Not really in between. If he's respectable, that's perfectly good in the 4/5 slots. If he's awful, hopefully we have better options.

One thing that I'm not sure about with respect to his contract. I know about the deferrals coming due if he's traded. What happens if he's designated for assignment? If he's claimed, does that count as a trade for the purpose of the accelerated deferrals? What about if he clears waivers and the Reds just release him? Arroyo will get his money sooner or later, I'm just curious as to how that clause could affect the Reds' options if he can't get it back together.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Arroyo isn't likely to be traded because of the acceleration clause. As for simply releasing him, come on, the Reds aren't going to do that. Unless his arm is actually medically damaged and he goes on the disabled list he is going to be on the roster. Anything else is wishful thinking. If he is as terrible as 2011 my hope is he gets relegated to long relief mopping up games that are lost early but I am optimistic that he'll provide a steady #5 who'll eat innings at a league average era. The idea of Bronson as closer is a terrible one, imo, he has always been a bit home run prone, I can just see him coming in to a close game, getting the first two out and then wham, tie game. Starters can give up an occasional homer if they control base runners but closers can't.
    Top two things I want in a closer - he misses bats, and he keeps it in the park. Bronson doesn't really meet either of those criteria.

Best playoff pitching appearance since... ??

No Reds pitcher ever in the playoffs have gone 7 innings with only 1 hit.

Obviously, less is on the line here as compared to the World Series, but could this be the best playoff pitching performance by a Reds pitcher ever?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

Obviously, less is on the line here as compared to the World Series, but could this be the best playoff pitching performance by a Reds pitcher ever?
    Incredible game. Have to give him credit for going from question marks and contract baggage at the end of last year to utterly dominating game 2 in a series like this. Go Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

Game 3 of the 72 series? Jack Billingham 8 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 7 K, 0 Runs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm happy for Arroyo and the Reds. And the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rijo in the 4th game of the 90 WS.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Rijo in the 4th game of the 90 WS.
    Alot of people forget how dominant Rijo was in the '90 World Series. 15.1 IP, 0.59 e.r.a.

Right-handed Jamie Moyer[?] He may be good for five more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Alot of people forget how dominant Rijo was in the '90 World Series. 15.1 IP, 0.59 e.r.a.
    He skirted around a lot of trouble in Game 1. But he was lights out ridiculous in Game 4.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Would I trade Arroyo if I could?

No.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Great call! I guess it depends on do you value the extra inning and the 2 extra hits and walks?

Turn Off Ads?