Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

Arroyo's $12M is not looking good now. I like Bronson. But for $12 to $15 million, we probably could sign Oswalt or Kuroda, and know that we're getting a pitcher who will post a sub-4.00 e.r.a. and keep us in games.

Do you think the Yankees would take him on if we asked for little in return?

Re: If you could trade Arroyo, would you?

Arroyo's contract is mostly deferred, and if he gets traded, it basically all gets paid up front. Arroyo just isn't getting moved. No one is taking that contract off the Reds hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Arroyo's $12M is not looking good now. I like Bronson. But for $12 to $15 million, we probably could sign Oswalt or Kuroda, and know that we're getting a pitcher who will post a sub-4.00 e.r.a. and keep us in games.

I like Bronson and think he'll be more of the BA we saw in 2009 & 10 rather than what we saw in 2011. Having said that though, I'd give him away in a heartbeat if the other team took the majority of what he is owed. With that money, this team could pretty adequately address holes in LF and closer and still possibly add another starter. I might target Kuroda or Oswalt, but I think you could just as easily go after a cheaper target like Michael Pineda or Gio Gonzalez in a deal.

I really liked the idea of Arroyo for kevin Youkilis, even if there would probably be little if any savings. The terms of BA's contract though, probably make this discussion moot, but if Bronson goes out and gives this team 200+ innings with 15 wins and an ERA in the low 4's and veteran leadership that may not be such a bad thing.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

No question but why would ANYONE want him?

All I knows that if he pitches half as bad the first few games of the season as he did most of last Dusty really needs to move him to the bullpen and forget how much he makes.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If I could, absolutely. But there is no chance it will happen. As noted, his deferred money gets paid up front if he is traded. That means he gets something like $18M.

WIthout question. But he's not tradable unless he has big first half and gets moved to a contender with a big need and a big checkbook.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wonder if Arroyo would waive the right to accelerate the deferral if he was dealt back to the Red Sox?

Arroyo for Ryan Kalish and the Reds pay the deferred money as originally stipulated in his contract. The Sox would get a back end innngs eater for $6.5 Million. The Reds would have an extra $6.5 Million to pay Votto this year as incentive to extend his deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Yes if possible. It aint happinin'

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Make him the closer.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Make him the closer.
    I hope it never comes to this.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Make him the closer.
    I watched David Weathers manage to have a respectable career throwing an 89 mph fastball. Why not Bronson in relief?

The best case scenario is he gets busted for PEDs and gets suspended so the Reds don't have to pay him....

Did I say that out loud? Dang, I meant to just think it.

But seriously, I think he will pitch better than he did last year but he will still be a sub-par starting pitcher. He might still prove to be a useful average pitcher but there is almost zero chance he justifies his salary. If the Reds can convince anyone to take him for free without giving us anything back at all I would be happy to hand him over.

Jocketty was part of the switch for Eckersley, wasn't he? I think going to Bronson and asking him to switch to closer as a way to a) help the team b) extend his career and c) potentially give him a shot at one more big contract if it works out well would be out of the box and a genius move.

If we do that, now we take that need away, maybe sign another cheaper pen arm to help rather than Cordero/Madsen and go all in after the right FA LF. That would also give us enough chips left to make another trade if needed to get more help at SS, 3B or SP.

Even with that, if I could get anything at all for Bronson or at least not have his price tag, I do it in a heart beat. If I have to pay part of the bill, I'd think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Jocketty was part of the switch for Eckersley, wasn't he? I think going to Bronson and asking him to switch to closer as a way to a) help the team b) extend his career and c) potentially give him a shot at one more big contract if it works out well would be out of the box and a genius move.

If we do that, now we take that need away, maybe sign another cheaper pen arm to help rather than Cordero/Madsen and go all in after the right FA LF. That would also give us enough chips left to make another trade if needed to get more help at SS, 3B or SP.

Even with that, if I could get anything at all for Bronson or at least not have his price tag, I do it in a heart beat. If I have to pay part of the bill, I'd think twice.
    This is an interesting approach and perhaps a plausible one.

I'm among the few here (maybe the only one) who thinks that Arroyo provides a valuable piece to a very young staff. His knowledge of pitching and his work ethic is something that I want this young pitchers to witness first hand. I also agree with those who suggest that Arroyo's 2012 season probably will not resemble last season. And he's not that old - he's still just 34, offsetting all of those 20 something on the rest of the staff. What's the next oldest age? Twenty-six, maybe? That's a very young staff.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?