Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3B Junior Arias

4 9.30%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

7 16.28%
  • RHP Nick Christiani

0 0%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

2 4.65%
  • UT Brodie Greene

8 18.60%
  • LHP Donnie Joseph

4 9.30%
  • RHP Josh Judy

4 9.30%
  • RHP Josh Ravin

0 0%
  • RHP Dan Renken

2 4.65%
  • RHP Clay Shunick

0 0%
  • OF Bryson Smith

1 2.33%
  • RHP Josh Smith

7 16.28%
  • LHP Clay Tanner

0 0%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

1 2.33%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

3 6.98%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #25 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #25 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #24 prospect?

I'll keep voting for Brodie Greene until he gets a spot.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I went with Josh Judy here. I like his career K numbers a lot. He can help us a lot next year. I usually like upside, so I was thinking hard on Buckley, but his defensive reports scare me. If he could stick at 3B, he would definitely be the pick here. Since I do not believe he can due to third hand reports, I will go with Judy who could be a contributor to the bullpen next year.

Of the remaining guys, I'm pretty confident that Brodie Greene will be a major leaguer. Maybe a backup, maybe a starter.

Vote Brodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Of the remaining guys, I'm pretty confident that Brodie Greene will be a major leaguer. Maybe a backup, maybe a starter.

Vote Brodie.
    I honestly believe that Judy probably has a 99% chance of pitching for the Reds sometime in the next couple years. No way Brodie has that chance of playing for the Reds.

Making my case for Daniel Renken here. He was just 21 at Dayton last year so he wasn't a little old for the league like say Josh Smith. In 20 starts he had an FIP of 3.05.He had 11.2 K/9 as compared with 3.1 BB/9. Even with a .326 BABIP he was fairly dominant. He got hit a little in High A at the end of the year, but given the park, the league and his probable wearing down as his innings mounted, I don't take much from those 30 innings.

At this point, they all have flaws and I could see the argument for any of many others, but Renken would seem like a good choice here. I like him better than a few of the guys already voted ahead of him, but there are also a few here who I could also see at this spot. Other than Buckley, who was in Rookie level ball so I dscount it, and some relievers who get a bit of an advantage, I think Renken had the best season of the guys left.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Making my case for Daniel Renken here. He was just 21 at Dayton last year so he wasn't a little old for the league like say Josh Smith. In 20 starts he had an FIP of 3.05.He had 11.2 K/9 as compared with 3.1 BB/9. Even with a .326 BABIP he was fairly dominant. He got hit a little in High A at the end of the year, but given the park, the league and his probable wearing down as his innings mounted, I don't take much from those 30 innings.

At this point, they all have flaws and I could see the argument for any of many others, but Renken would seem like a good choice here. I like him better than a few of the guys already voted ahead of him, but there are also a few here who I could also see at this spot. Other than Buckley, who was in Rookie level ball so I dscount it, and some relievers who get a bit of an advantage, I think Renken had the best season of the guys left.
    I would take Smith over Renken because I figure both guys wind up as relievers if they make it to the Majors and Smith has both the better fastball and breaking ball. Renken has moderate stuff, but gets solid deception because of his mechanics. Not sure how well that will keep playing against more advanced hitters. I like him though, but probably in about 10 more spots.

Ryan Wright has the skill set and profile to debut in Cincinnati at 2B in 3-4 years. He won't need a fraction of the coaching that Hamilton will require to get to the pros.

I'd add Drew Hayes to the list soon.

Out of curiosity, why has Horst not made this list yet? Is he ineligible, or generally not considered a prospect? I think he has more value than a guy like Hayes at this point.

I went with Buckley thanks to his impressive power and arm, with a bit of speed to boot. Strikeouts and defense seem like a bit of a bit of a problem, but if he transfers well enough into RF something tells me he could look like Jay Bruce-lite out there. He was easily one of Billings's most feared hitters, and should be a quick mover.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Out of curiosity, why has Horst not made this list yet? Is he ineligible, or generally not considered a prospect? I think he has more value than a guy like Hayes at this point.
    He is a prospect. I have him in this range, but still going with Buckley here. Hayes is more of a sexy pick because stuff wise, he has more going for him. But I have Hayes behind Horst right now too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    but still going with Buckley here.
    Doug, are you not concerned with Buckley's glove? Or his bat enough in this range to outweigh defensive concerns? Also, where do you have Judy? I would think a reliever with great K numbers who can help the Reds next year would be the best guy left on the list. Certainly Judy has to be better than a league average utility player in High A...

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Doug, are you not concerned with Buckley's glove? Or his bat enough in this range to outweigh defensive concerns? Also, where do you have Judy? I would think a reliever with great K numbers who can help the Reds next year would be the best guy left on the list. Certainly Judy has to be better than a league average utility player in High A...
    Concerned about the defense, but like the potential with the bat enough to think it could play in the corner outfield just fine if he has to make that move. I put very little value in relief pitchers who aren't closers. Judy was just outside of my Top 40 before the trades. Might be because I haven't seen him as much, but had him behind a few guys like Horst, Christiani and a few starters who probably wind up as relievers.

Can anyone explain why Kris Negron is on the 40-man roster when he is not likely to be one of the top 40 prospects as chosen by RedsZone minor league gurus?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Can anyone explain why Kris Negron is on the 40-man roster when he is not likely to be one of the top 40 prospects as chosen by RedsZone minor league gurus?
    He had a strong 2010 season, plays good defense at shortstop, can also play second base and center field some. 2011 was a big step backwards for him. Whether the AAA level is where his ceiling is at, we will see. But it was so different from where he had been in the past that I think he is due for a good rebound season next year. If it is enough to put him back on the map though, I don't know. He has some tools to his name though.

Turn Off Ads?