Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects After The Trade

Reds Top Prospects After The Trade

I don't count players like Mesoraco, Sappelt, Francisco, and Frazier who either finished the season or are expected to be on the major league roster going forward.

GRADE A

(none)

GRADE B

1. Billy Hamilton SS A+ - Now the undisputed crown jewel of the system.
    2. Daniel Corcino RHP A+ - The system's top pitching prospect.
    3. Robert Stephenson RHP R - Could likely challenge Corcino for that title with a strong debut. I view him as the Bailey to Corcino's Cueto of the next generation of Reds pitching prospects.

GRADE C

4. Neftali Soto 1B AAA - The new "heir apparent" to Joey Votto if he leaves via FA.
    5. Ronald Torreyes 2B A+ - The little man can't get no respect.
    6. Henry Rodriguez 2B AAA - Attitude problems notwithstanding, will be the most likely in-house replacement for BP in 2013 if he can't work out an extension.
    7. Didi Gregorius SS AA - Will have to work hard to stay ahead of Hamilton in the organization.
    8. Juan Duran OF/1B A+ - With Alonso gone, I see a move to 1B in his future.
    9. Tony Cingrani LHP A - Most exciting debut of the 2010 draftees, I'm excited to see what he can do in full-season ball.
    10. Tucker Barnhart C A+ - With Grandal gone, the deck is cleared for him to replace Hanigan as Mez's backup in a couple years.
    (tie). Yorman Rodriguez OF A - Many will feel that he earned himself a demotion off the list, but IMO he still has too much talent to be ignored in a suddenly thin system. However he'll need to grow up fast if he wants to stay here.

All of a sudden, the Reds no longer have a Top 10 system in baseball. But after acquiring Mat Latos and looking at how this team shapes up for the next couple years, I am just fine with that.

The Reds will likely face an inflection point as an organization in 2014, with Votto's future being the most obvious uncertainty. This coincides well with the timeframe of the prospect base, as most of their top prospects will not be arriving until around (at least) that time.
    Last edited by Benihana; 12-19-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Top Prospects After The Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I don't count players like Mesoraco, Sappelt, Francisco, and Frazier who either finished the season or are expected to be on the major league roster going forward.

GRADE A

(none)

GRADE B

1. Billy Hamilton SS A+
    2. Daniel Corcino RHP A+
    3. Robert Stephenson RHP R

GRADE C

4. Neftali Soto 1B AAA
    5. Ronald Torreyes 2B A+
    6. Henry Rodriguez 2B AAA
    7. Didi Gregorius SS AA
    8. Juan Duran OF/1B A+
    9. Yorman Rodriguez OF A
    10. Tony Cingrani LHP A
    (tie). Tucker Barnhart C A+

All of a sudden, the Reds no longer have a Top 10 system in baseball. But after acquiring Mat Latos and looking at how this team shapes up for the next couple years, I am just fine with that.

The Reds will likely face an inflection point in 2014, with Votto's future being the most obvious uncertainty. This coincides well with the timeframe of the prospect base, as most of their top prospects will not be arriving until around (at least) that time.
    Assuming the Reds don't sign Cordero, they will have two early, extra draft choices this season. The team will re-stock the system in the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Assuming the Reds don't sign Cordero, they will have two early, extra draft choices this season. The team will re-stock the system in the next two years.
    Totally agree. And I'm excited for that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I will dispute that Hamilton is the crown jewel of the system all day. I have three guys on your list ranked higher than him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will dispute that Hamilton is the crown jewel of the system all day. I have three guys on your list ranked higher than him.
    I've got 2: Corcino and Yorman.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Where does Josh Smith fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

GRADE A

(none)

GRADE B

1. Billy Hamilton SS A+ - Now the undisputed crown jewel of the system.
    2. Daniel Corcino RHP A+ - The system's top pitching prospect.
    3. Robert Stephenson RHP R - Could likely challenge Corcino for that title with a strong debut. I view him as the Bailey to Corcino's Cueto of the next generation of Reds pitching prospects.

GRADE C

4. Neftali Soto 1B AAA - The new "heir apparent" to Joey Votto if he leaves via FA.
    5. Ronald Torreyes 2B A+ - The little man can't get no respect.
    6. Henry Rodriguez 2B AAA - Attitude problems notwithstanding, will be the most likely in-house replacement for BP in 2013 if he can't work out an extension.
    7. Didi Gregorius SS AA - Will have to work hard to stay ahead of Hamilton in the organization.
    8. Juan Duran OF/1B A+ - With Alonso gone, I see a move to 1B in his future.
    9. Tony Cingrani LHP A - Most exciting debut of the 2010 draftees, I'm excited to see what he can do in full-season ball.
    10. Tucker Barnhart C A+ - With Grandal gone, the deck is cleared for him to replace Hanigan as Mez's backup in a couple years.
    (tie). Yorman Rodriguez OF A - Many will feel that he earned himself a demotion off the list, but IMO he still has too much talent to be ignored in a suddenly thin system. However he'll need to grow up fast if he wants to stay here.

The Reds will likely face an inflection point as an organization in 2014, with Votto's future being the most obvious uncertainty. This coincides well with the timeframe of the prospect base, as most of their top prospects will not be arriving until around (at least) that time.
    This is a bit misleading. Other teams' lists still show their rookie qualifiers on the list. Add Mesoraco, Cozart, Frazier and Sappelt and this list looks a lot deeper and better in comparison. If you are going to take them off, you'd need to remove players on other lists as well. I still think they could be top 10.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I wouldn't worry too much (yet) about Henry Rodriguez's "attitute". He's still young, and young people always know everything. Let's wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Where does Josh Smith fit in?
    I have him in the 30's. He is more likely a reliever than a #4 starter.

Okay, I've been out of the loop for a while - how can a guy throw up the numbers Chris Manno did last year and no one has even mentioned his name? Trick pitch? At 23 he doesn't seem overly old for his level, took 2 steps, no glitches. I know he profiles as a reliever but those numbers, whoa...

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Okay, I've been out of the loop for a while - how can a guy throw up the numbers Chris Manno did last year and no one has even mentioned his name? Trick pitch? At 23 he doesn't seem overly old for his level, took 2 steps, no glitches. I know he profiles as a reliever but those numbers, whoa...
    Not really a trick pitch guy. But his fastball is pretty average. He has a good change up. He also has some deception going on because of his mechanics. But, the odds are that he is probably at best, a 7th inning type of pitcher. Great numbers, but he doesn't project to be anything special. I have him behind a guy like Jeremy Horst at this point simply because Horst has gotten it done in AAA with similar stuff and Manno hasn't yet done that.

Thanks Doug, knew I could count on you for the scoop. I just knew there had to be some reason those numbers were fibbing to me, just too good to be true. Low minors especially can be tricky if you haven't seen a guy or had some scouting reports you can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Thanks Doug, knew I could count on you for the scoop. I just knew there had to be some reason those numbers were fibbing to me, just too good to be true. Low minors especially can be tricky if you haven't seen a guy or had some scouting reports you can trust.
    There is an old scouting thing I have begun to believe more in than ever before.... don't trust the numbers on a guy who has a very good change up until he reaches AA. Not saying they can't continue it, but it seems that a really good change up with mediocre other stuff gets you a lot further in the low minors than a mediocre FB and a really good breaking ball will in terms of your numbers.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

From John Sickels.

Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2012.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2012
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    From John Sickels.

Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2012.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2012
    Thanks for posting, Revering. I am glad a professional like Sickels agrees with me on Crabbe.

Turn Off Ads?