Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What move will it take to win the WS?

What move will it take to win the WS?

1. A leadoff man?
    2. A cleanup hitter?
    3. LF
    4. SS
    5. A combo of the above?
    6. A closer?

Discuss please.

I for one say sign someone to play LF that can drive in runs, and also look for an upgrade at SS.

For the closer role, Aroldis Chapman.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What move will it take to win the WS?

I'd say a LF cleanup hitter gives us a legitimate chance. Nothing is a guarantee though, you can be far and away the best team, and still not win it, thats even more scary when you're a team like the Reds and have a "2 year window" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I'd say a LF cleanup hitter gives us a legitimate chance. Nothing is a guarantee though, you can be far and away the best team, and still not win it, thats even more scary when you're a team like the Reds and have a "2 year window" lol.
    Very true!

Just look at the 2009-11 Phillies, the many Yankee teams, and the 72 Reds. I'd like to get there though, just have that experience again in my life.

I think Cozart is more than serviceable at SS. Some stability in left field would be nice but I'd like to see Heisey get a full time shot until the all star break and see how his numbers look. In my opinion the key to this years team will be:

A) A more consistent Jay Bruce at the plate. During portions of last year he looked like a .300 35-40 homer stud....... and other times looked like we should send him to AA he looked so lost. He has to step up this year and show some consistency.

B) Drew Stubbs' ability to not strike out 200 times in a year. If somebody could teach him how to bunt (or at least make contact) he would be absolutely lethal at the top of the lineup. If he could cut out his strike out total by 50 and utilize the bunt I think he could easily manage 20-25 more hits this year which would bring his average up to about .275 and his OBP around .350. With his speed I'd take that at the top of our lineup.

Nerdvana Annihilation

I am going to say a Powerhitting left fielder that can bat between Votto and Bruce.

I would say to sign Beltran for multiple reasons:

1. He is an above average LF defensively
    2. He is a switch hitting middle of the order bat to split up Votto/Bruce
    3. We get our extra LH bat as well as our RH power bat
    4. He is a veteran that I think many of us won't complain the Dusty plays over a younger guy
    5. The biggest reason ... we can keep him from the Cardinals!

Health...and Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post

4. He is a veteran that I think many of us won't complain the Dusty plays over a younger guy
    You are kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I think Cozart is more than serviceable at SS. Some stability in left field would be nice but I'd like to see Heisey get a full time shot until the all star break and see how his numbers look. In my opinion the key to this years team will be:

A) A more consistent Jay Bruce at the plate. During portions of last year he looked like a .300 35-40 homer stud....... and other times looked like we should send him to AA he looked so lost. He has to step up this year and show some consistency.

B) Drew Stubbs' ability to not strike out 200 times in a year. If somebody could teach him how to bunt (or at least make contact) he would be absolutely lethal at the top of the lineup. If he could cut out his strike out total by 50 and utilize the bunt I think he could easily manage 20-25 more hits this year which would bring his average up to about .275 and his OBP around .350. With his speed I'd take that at the top of our lineup.
    Pretty much agree.

I don't think Stubbs will ever be a top of the lineup force. I believe he needs less pressure to be an OBA guy and would be a nice fit for 6th or 7th in the lineup. I would also like his plate appearances cut way back from the 670 last year to around 500.

Who's going to lead off then? Phillips? If Stubbs could make contact more it looks like this:

Stubbs
    Phillips
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Heisey/Sappelt
    Mes/Hannigan
    Cozart

I like it. Moving Phillips to leadoff throws the whole thing off balance don't ya think?

I think all we need is for drew stubbs to learn the art of batting leadoff. As mentioned before if we can get him to give us 2 extra hits a week then he is a .300 hitter with top shelf speed. If he learns to bunt and learns to hit behind his runners then he becomes lethal and he becomes someone we can only afford for a few years. Turn his approach around and this team can add a few more wins with that alone. Throw in Mat Latos and you you have an extra 15-20 wins a year. Its not like we suck,this team can make a run we just need a little luck and a little bit of brains from our players.

how good is mes? why can't he bat 4th or 5th?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post

I think he is way out of the Reds price range, but I agree with everything you just said. The one thing about Beltran I don't love: injuries.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

None of the above.

My choice would be another SP on the same level or better than Latos. (note: this could mean Homer or Chapman emerge as that kind of starter this year) If that happens I'm expecting a world series appearance.

Trade Heisey, Chapman, and Wood to Cleveland for Justin Masterson, Tony Sipp and Vinnie Pestano. Then use the money saved to sign Beltran.

Lineup:
    1. 2B Phillips
    2. SS Cozart
    3. 1B Votto
    4. LF Beltran
    5. RF Bruce
    6. CF Stubbs
    7. 3B Rolen
    8. C Mesoraco

Rotation:
    1. Latos
    2. Cueto