Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm tired or hearing we overpaid.....

I'm tired or hearing we overpaid.....

I think Ken Rosenthal's column does a nice job of presenting the case from both sides. It was a bold move that could potentially pay off for BOTH teams!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/c...b-trade-121711

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I'm tired or hearing we overpaid.....

I agree, Rosenthal does a great job of summing it up. I was so sick of hearing so many ripping Jocketty and the FO for doing nothing, then when they do make a huge trade, they all cry about it. A pitcher like Latos doesn't come cheap.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I agree, Rosenthal does a great job of summing it up. I was so sick of hearing so many ripping Jocketty and the FO for doing nothing, then when they do make a huge trade, they all cry about it. A pitcher like Latos doesn't come cheap.
    My thoughts exactly. If the Reds can get to/win the World Series in 2012 or 2013, I don't care how good the players SD got are: It is a good trade. If we don't win the Central, it is a bad trade. Anything in between can be debated, but Walt is making a play for the WS here. I love it.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Blah blah blah.......epic overpay.....Rosenthal is covering his ass because he was giving the Reds heat for not trading.

Every planet in the galaxy will have to align for this to even be a break even.

As it is, we got hosed....in a major way.

This trade did free up some cash thou , mabey we spend that on a win now team. I tired of hearing about the future, lets win now.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    Exactly, evidently there was no way for Reds management to win. Any of the pitchers we were targeting were going to ask for those three (maybe w/o Boxburger) but I'd have much rather thrown him in and acquired Latos over Gio, Shields, Jurjens etc..

I am sorry but I can't see what those who think we got hosed saw in the 4 players we gave up? The only 1 I see has having a legit shot at ML stardom is Yonder, and that is as a DH maybe. He is not a good defender and he would have done nothing but rode the pine for at least half a season each of the next two years...

Those who think the Reds have overpaid should note:

Career ERA of 3.37 over 429 IP
    3.57 ERA on the road.
    Arb Eligible: 2013
    Free Agent: 2016
    2012 contract $461k
    24 years old

And come to terms with:
    Volquez couldn't give us 7 innings and was abysmal early in games.
    Votto or Yonder needed to be traded.
    Mes or Yas needed to be traded.

As it stands now, I think it was a great move. I was hesitant at first but after thinking about it rationally I believe Walt did good. I like Yonder and Yas as much as anybody, but Latos is a straight up beast on the mound, and I am very excited to have him as a member of the Reds.

Now, if Walt can address the LF and closer situations we will be set. Also, I will not ocmplain if he decides to go after another starter, as has been indicated since this trades completion. For example, if Gio is still available I would be fine with bringing him in as the second acquisition, I was just not cool with him being the big off-season move. But now that it would simply be a complementary move, I would have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am sorry but I can't see what those who think we got hosed saw in the 4 players we gave up? The only 1 I see has having a legit shot at ML stardom is Yonder, and that is as a DH maybe. He is not a good defender and he would have done nothing but rode the pine for at least half a season each of the next two years...
    So.....you don't see a switch hitting .300 hitter with power and excellent defense has any chance at Major League Stardom?

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    So.....you don't see a switch hitting .300 hitter with power and excellent defense has any chance at Major League Stardom?

dont we have a catcher?

o btw don't read to much into this b/c espn was acting like edison v was the main peice in the deal. lol

o btw fd you can hate the trade but why does latos have to be a bust?

19 passed balls in 90 games is excellent defense?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan_26 View Post
    19 passed balls in 90 games is excellent defense?
    I believe he will improve and by the time all is said and done..he will be Jorge Posada...with better defense.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    dont we have a catcher?

o btw don't read to much into this b/c espn was acting like edison v was the main peice in the deal. lol

o btw fd you can hate the trade but why does latos have to be a bust?
    If we had brought up Mes sooner, we would know more about him...but we had 80 wins to get.....so he languished in the minors.

Exactly where did this player hit .300 with poer and have excellent defense?

Turn Off Ads?