Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rolen in the "two hole"

Rolen in the "two hole"

At this point in his career, I like Rolen batting second. He is no longer a clean up hitter but more of a gap/doubles hitter. A professional hitter who can hit deep in the count, hit the ball to right to move a runner over, etc. I know that doesn't fit when Francisco is at third, but surely Dusty can put together more than one line-up (I hope).

Is it Stubbs at the top or Phillips? I lean towards Phillips with Stubbs batting 7th or so. That still leaves a hole in the 4-spot. That is why I hope we have one more more (at least) in us. Get us a right handed bat to play LF, package Heisey in a deal if needed so we don't have a glut of outfielders.

Phillips
    Rolen
    Votto
    LF
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Catcher
    Cozart
    Pitcher

I know it's early for line-up construction, but I just think Rolen is a good fit for the second spot in the order, more than the fourth spot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen in the "two hole"

I'd like to see Heisey get his shot...

Phillips
    Heisey
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Stubbs
    Catcher
    Cozart
    Pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I'd like to see Heisey get his shot...

Phillips
    Heisey
    Votto
    Bruce
    Devin m
    Rolen
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    Pitcher
    This

Rolen hitting 2nd makes lots of sense. Or Hannigan is the other option there.

Heisey doesn't make enough contact to bat 2nd

According to The Book:

Your three best hitters should bat somewhere in the #1, #2 and #4 slots. Your fourth- and fifth-best hitters should occupy the #3 and #5 slots. The #1 and #2 slots will have players with more walks than those in the #4 and #5 slots. From slot #6 through #9, put the players in descending order of quality.
    The question based on that, then, is whether Rolen is one of the Reds' top three hitters. If we look at 2010, the last year Rolen was healthy, you might be able to make the case that he is. Even then, though, Rolen, over the last couple years, has walked less than players like Hanigan and Stubbs, suggesting he might be more suited to the 4th or 5th spot.

Of course, this is all somewhat academic: Votto is obviously going to be in the three hole, despite what The Book says about where to put your best hitter, and so it's pretty clear Dusty won't be constructing a lineup to strictly conform to statistical analyses.

Mabey we put Cozart in the 2 hole. seemed like he was good at making contact and could handle the bat in the limited time we got to see him. Also I'm going to wait till spring training to write stubbs off for the leadoff spot. Mabey this winter he's worked on some of his issues and comes into 2012 a new ball player(I've been doing alot of praying)

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    LF
    Bruce
    Mes
    Rolen(you can slide Francisco up 1 spot when he plays or keep it this way. split the LH and RH)
    Stubbs

OR
    Stubbs
    Phillips
    Votto
    LF
    Bruce
    Mes
    Rolen(I'd like to keep Mes and Cozart seperated, and Rolen is a good fit)
    Cozart
    ^I honestly perfer this

Obviously Im banking on Walt going out and getting a power RH bat to fit into LF
    Last edited by DGullett35; 12-19-2011 at 10:29 PM.

rolen needs to quite, retire and take his perm,anent spot on the disabledlist

I'm not crazy about the idea of Rolen batting 2nd, but it would definitely be a change of pace. I don't see him as our cleanup batter anymore, and definitely don't see him as any protection for Votto. Ideally, I would see something like this:

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    CF
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Mez/Hannigan
    P

Package the K-Machine off to somewhere with a couple of prospects in return for a talented right-handed outfielder who realizes baseballs were meant to be hit (even if it is a bunt).

I fell in love with Heisey as a PH, where his numbers were outstanding, but I have faith in his dependability as an every day player. At least he'll put the ball in play. Rolen is still a dependable bat, full of veteran creaminess, but I'm just not sure about him in a position where production is key anymore. Let him knock a few guys over later in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by nux fan View Post
    rolen needs to quite, retire and take his perm,anent spot on the disabledlist
    Is there room on the list for your keyboard, too?
    Last edited by KYRedLeg; 12-20-2011 at 09:36 AM.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

^ Heisey Ks an awful lot, too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    ^ Heisey Ks an awful lot, too.
    People don't realize that. given the same number AB's Drew had last year he'd K'd 170+ times.

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    Dusty won't be constructing a lineup to strictly conform to statistical analyses.
    Nice understatement.

Turn Off Ads?