Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 12/20

Birthdays: 12/20

Reds:

Paul Moskau (58) -Was a decent starting pitcher through 1980, then his career kind of fell off the table. Did he hurt his arm? I forget...

John Noriega -Tall righty from Utah who appeared briefly and not too effectively in 1969 and 1970. Died in 2001.

Others:

David Wright (29) -Already the Mets career leader in doubles. I'd love to have this guy on the Reds.

James Shields (30) -Mentioned once or twice on RZ this offseason. A first cousin of OF Aaron Rowand.

Oscar Gamble (62) -The posessor of baseball's most magnificent Afro, he had the last hit and last RBI at Philadelphia's old Connie Mack Stadium.

Gabby Hartnett -When he was playing in Chicago, there wa a picture published in the paper of him standing with Al Capone. When Commissioner Landis telegraphed him telling him not to have his picture taken with Capone, Hartnett replied "If Al Capone wants a picture with me, you tell him no...I'm not going to".

Branch Rickey -Next to maybe Ruth, the most influential figure in basball history. There are a million great quotes attributed to him; I like "Luck is the residue of design".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 12/20

IIRC, Noriega was blind in one eye and it was a problem for him on the mound a bit...

... or maybe that was Jay Ritchie. I always got those guys confused.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 12/20

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Branch Rickey -Next to maybe Ruth, the most influential figure in basball history. There are a million great quotes attributed to him; I like "Luck is the residue of design".
    Other Rickey quotes:

"He (Leo Durocher) had the ability of taking a bad situation and making it immediately worse."

"I am alarmed at the subtle invasion of professional football, which is gaining preeminence over baseball. It's unthinkable." (1959)

"I don't care if I was a ditch-digger at a dollar a day. I'd want to do my job better than the fellow next to me. I'd want to be the best at whatever I do."

"Never surrender opportunity for security."

"The greatest untapped reservoir of raw material in the history of our game is the black race." (1946)

A quote about Rickey:

"Mr. Rickey had great insight into everyday life as well as baseball. In one of our player meetings he once said 'Never play checkers with a man who carries his own board.' I never forgot it." - Bob Purkey

Turn Off Ads?