Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Andrew Brackman

1 1.89%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

2 3.77%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

2 3.77%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

2 3.77%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • LHP Donnie Joseph

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

3 5.66%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

6 11.32%
  • OF Denis Phipps

4 7.55%
  • RHP Dan Renken

0 0%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

16 30.19%
  • RHP Josh Smith

0 0%
  • 3B David Vidal

17 32.08%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

0 0%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #18 prospect?

Going with David Vidal here

Can't beat a 3B with 25-30 HR, 25-30 Double and 90-100 RBI potential that is also very solid with the glove

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sulbaran has three usable pitches right now. Crabbe doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Going with David Vidal here

Can't beat a 3B with 25-30 HR, 25-30 Double and 90-100 RBI potential that is also very solid with the glove
    Does he have that kind of potential? What I seen of him in S/T was ok but I didn't see that kind of power potential. Seems like a 12-15 HR guy with 25ish doubles and solid but not spectacular defense. But I admittedly haven't been paying much mind to the minors this season and not sure I ever got a scouting report on him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Does he have that kind of potential? What I seen of him in S/T was ok but I didn't see that kind of power potential. Seems like a 12-15 HR guy with 25ish doubles and solid but not spectacular defense. But I admittedly haven't been paying much mind to the minors this season and not sure I ever got a scouting report on him.
    Maybe a touch high on the HR's, but I think he might have gone a touch low on the doubles. He has some good pop in his bat. I am more concerned about his plate discipline than him having the power to play third base.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm on a similar page with Sulbaran vs. Crabbe. I think the two are very close and I have them as my two highest rated guys left. I have Crabbe a shade higher for the reasons you mentioned, but really wouldn't quibble with either one over the other. Given the now thin state of the Reds starting pitching depth, I hope both of these guys find that third pitch, get off to a fast start at AA and get themselves promoted to AAA and in line for a look if need be in the second half of 2012. That's probably a pipedream and 2014 might be more realistic (or they end up in the pen if that 3rd pitch never develops).
    Hopefully, THE DARK jumps on the Crabbe bandwagon with us soon. I have already been voting for him for a while and again, we are the only ones to vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Hopefully, THE DARK jumps on the Crabbe bandwagon with us soon. I have already been voting for him for a while and again, we are the only ones to vote for him.
    I'll be picking him up a few rounds from now, but I think that Vidal and Lutz have done a bit more to earn it so far.

Dougdirt, how is Sulbaran's third pitch? I've heard that the fastball is powerful and the curveball is a plus, but I haven't heard of how useful the third is. I was under the impression that both his and Crabbe's third pitches were a work in progress. Either way, with those two and Villarreal manning AA, Pensacola should hopefully have a solid top of the rotation to start the season.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I'll be picking him up a few rounds from now, but I think that Vidal and Lutz have done a bit more to earn it so far.

Dougdirt, how is Sulbaran's third pitch? I've heard that the fastball is powerful and the curveball is a plus, but I haven't heard of how useful the third is. I was under the impression that both his and Crabbe's third pitches were a work in progress. Either way, with those two and Villarreal manning AA, Pensacola should hopefully have a solid top of the rotation to start the season.
    Sulbaran has a solid change up. Perhaps slightly below MLB average right now, but its a usable pitch for him and one that he could use right now in the big leagues and be ok with (assuming he was able to throw strikes at that level right now, which I don't think he would be able to do so much, which is why he is in the minors to begin with).

Thanks. I'm warming on him a bit, but his chance of a flameout seems a bit higher than Crabbe's, given that Crabbe's control issues seem a bit less concerning than Sulbaran's.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Thanks. I'm warming on him a bit, but his chance of a flameout seems a bit higher than Crabbe's, given that Crabbe's control issues seem a bit less concerning than Sulbaran's.
    Tim Crabbe walked more batters per 9 innings than Sulbaran did this year.

#8 and #9 are reportedly now going to the cubs.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...avis-wood.html

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

So much for the theory that it would be two non-prospects in the Marshall trade. If correct, Sappelt & Torreyes is a SEVERE overpay by Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    So much for the theory that it would be two non-prospects in the Marshall trade. If correct, Sappelt & Torreyes is a SEVERE overpay by Walt.
    That cannot be right. Fingers crossed.

So, what does everyone think about restoring the original list despite the departures? It's going to get confusing and more players may still be dealt. At this rate, we'll have 3 "Who's your #18 prospect" threads. Let's just deal with who was in the system on Nov. 1, whether they're still here or not. Yay/Nay?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    So, what does everyone think about restoring the original list despite the departures? It's going to get confusing and more players may still be dealt. At this rate, we'll have 3 "Who's your #18 prospect" threads. Let's just deal with who was in the system on Nov. 1, whether they're still here or not. Yay/Nay?
    I agree with your suggestion. Further may I suggest that those players who are gone be put in italics with a parenthetical "trade to the [insert team] on..." just to cover that historical reference.

Has this traditionally been the top 20? If so, why not extend it out to 25. Hopefully we can stay ahead of Walt!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Sounds to me like the most sensible idea. Along with Metz's thought of noting the trades.

And Metz, it has typically gone to 40, although we've stretched it to 50 a time or two.

Turn Off Ads?