Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit.

Re: The Hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I always thought Two Towers was the weakest of the series.
    Oh but I love the ents and I love the ending! Excellent pacing and really sets the stage...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Oh but I love the ents and I love the ending! Excellent pacing and really sets the stage...
    I guess what I hated about it was the portrayal of Sauron. In the first and third one, even though he was a giant eye it seemed to have character and was a mennacing type villian thing. In the second one, he just seemed like just a background figure that wasn't that dangerous. I don't know, just a weird observation on my part.

I also think the extended versions of the movies add a whole new element to the film. The Return of the King extended version is, in my opinion, way better than what was put on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Huh?
    I thought the were long, boring, and had a a certain "sameness" that just made them all kinda bleed together into a big formless blob. And jeez, they were in that cave FOREVER.

I guess I shouldn't be be surprised considering the source material . If you're going spend four pages describing a door I guess that's what you'll get.

Don't get me wrong, I thought they were visually beautiful films, they just weren't all that interesting to me.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I adore all three films, or I should say all three parts. Its one movie broken into three parts.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I thought the were long, boring, and had a a certain "sameness" that just made them all kinda bleed together into a big formless blob. And jeez, they were in that cave FOREVER.

I guess I shouldn't be be surprised considering the source material . If you're going spend four pages describing a door I guess that's what you'll get.

Don't get me wrong, I thought they were visually beautiful films, they just weren't all that interesting to me.
    I assume you are talking about LOTR and not The Hobbit, which hasn't been released yet?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Hate to say it but this movie bored me me to death the first three times I saw it.

Nice cinematography though.
    This x 1,000.

And I usually enjoy fantasy/sci-fi stuff.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Aaand now I get the joke. Well played Pedro, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    No, not at all. It is fine for children. Has a whole other tone.
    Which is why I found this trailer a little odd. The tone of it certainly didn't match the lighter environment I remember from the book. Still looks frikkin awesome though
    My name is Cheesy Beef Burrito

I was excited when Del Toro was cowriter and director. when he had to leave the project due to endless delays Jackson took over as director. The Hobbitt book has a completely different feel than the Lord of the Rings books. its much more a kids book. the trailer looks just like the LOTR trilogy that Jackson directed. I would enjoy a Hobbitt movie. I'll enjoy a 4th & 5th LOTR movie less so.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I never read the books. I know The Hobbit is a prequel but what is it about? Is it as dark as LOTR?
    J.R.R. Tolkien apparently created the whole of Middle Earth as a linguistic hobby. And wrote "The Hobbit" as a children's' story. When it exploded in popularity in the 1970's the LOTR quickly followed it into print as a "grown-up" continuation of the story. All are great reads in their own way. 'Bout time "The Hobbit" got the attention it deserves.

I remember there was an animated movie of The Hobbit that my mother used to rent from the library for me. It had this eerie music that scared the ever-living pants off me.

Quote Originally Posted by yab1112 View Post
    I remember there was an animated movie of The Hobbit that my mother used to rent from the library for me. It had this eerie music that scared the ever-living pants off me.
    Probably this one done by Bankin/Rass...

A lot of big name actors did the vocals....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw133 View Post
    J.R.R. Tolkien apparently created the whole of Middle Earth as a linguistic hobby. And wrote "The Hobbit" as a children's' story. When it exploded in popularity in the 1970's the LOTR quickly followed it into print as a "grown-up" continuation of the story. All are great reads in their own way. 'Bout time "The Hobbit" got the attention it deserves.
    Plus "The Hobbit" shows how the ring, the story behind it, which is the center piece of the whole series, first came into the possession of a Hobbit via Bilbo and then passed on to Frodo. It was the stage setter.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Probably this one done by Bankin/Rass...

A lot of big name actors did the vocals....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/
    Yea, that's the one. I have to watch that again...

Snozzberries

You can actually watch the '77 version on youtube:
    The Hobbit (1977) Movie Part 1/6 - YouTube

Does anyone know at which point in the story they are splitting it into the two movies?

Turn Off Ads?