Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez

Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...-gonzalez.html

Nationals loading up for an NL East run.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nationals To Acquire Gio Gonzalez

you talk about over paying.....wow

Let the kids play!

Quote Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
    you talk about over paying.....wow
    Yep, couldn't agree more. Gio has walked the most batters over the past two seasons than any other MLB pitcher. To all those who said the Reds over paid for Latos, just look at this deal......

I'm sure his really strikes fear into a division with the Phillies and Marlins. Pretty sure I wouldn't bankrupt the future at this point if I were the Nationals.

the #3,4 and 9 best prospects in the nationals minors according to baseball america plus another good pitcher probly in the top 15 with great control kind of like a travis wood type

Let the kids play!

The Latos and Gonzalez trades were eerily similar. I'd take Latos over Base On Balls Gonzalez any day of the week.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Why are they in such hurry? They gave up their three pitching prospects and a catching prospect for a pitcher. Does that make sense? We "overpaid" from a strength to acquire a weakness. They OVERPAID from a strength for a strength! That makes no sense especially when this isn't going to put them over the top. I thought the Nats GM was doing a great job until this trade; they were building a legit a pitching staff but blew it up for what would be their #2-3. That's a move I don't understand!

Can you imagine what the Athletics rotation would look like in 2-3 years:

Brett Anderson
    Jarrod Parker
    Sonny Gray
    AJ Cole
    Brad Peacock

Was following this trade on Twitter via Jim Bowden. I want to punch him in the face so badly. Jim Bowden=a$$ clown
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    Can you imagine what the Athletics rotation would look like in 2-3 years:

Brett Anderson
    Jarrod Parker
    Sonny Gray
    AJ Cole
    Brad Peacock
    As a Reds fan who has been saying, "Imagine what our team will look like in 2-3 years" for a decade, now, I'm even more glad the club has made the trades they have this offseason.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

It's hard to see a deal like this go down and still argue that the Reds overpaid to get Latos. The Nats gave up their #3, #4 and #9 prospects to get a pitcher who isn't nearly as good as Latos and who will likely end up costing significantly more money because he is already arbitration eligible.

I can't see how this trade makes any sense for Washington, they're likely a couple years away from being a viable playoff team and the players they dealt would have been been ready to contribute by the time they're ready to compete.

Looking at this, I think we made out pretty well in the Latos trade. We traded mostly from our positions of excess (1B, C, fringe SP), and got a better pitcher for about the same value.

At the same time though, I think it's finally time to start calling the Nationals a dangerous team.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Consider this - perhaps Walt's overpayment for Latos set the market, so to say; every GM in baseball seeking proven pitching help is probably cursing his name.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Was following this trade on Twitter via Jim Bowden. I want to punch him in the face so badly. Jim Bowden=a$$ clown
    Why are you putting down a$$ clowns?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Consider this - perhaps Walt's overpayment for Latos set the market, so to say; every GM in baseball seeking proven pitching help is probably cursing his name.
    thing is Walt didn't overpay. He gave up only 1 player who had any signifcant ML experience and that player had issues. The other 3 might be ML talent or could be busts, we got a known ML talent in return and saved money....sorry I don't see how we overpaid...

Turn Off Ads?