Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Random thought about the Cardinals

  1. #1
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Random thought about the Cardinals

    I wonder, if on some St. Louis Cardinals forum, similar to this one, two years ago, their posters fought back and forth saying not trade "x" because of Pujols' contract being up in two years and there was a "chance" he might walk. Hehe


    Sorry, really random and probably a waste of a thread but I thought it was a funny correlation between Pujols and Votto and you guys would appreciate it. Merry Christmas.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,085

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I wonder, if on some St. Louis Cardinals forum, similar to this one, two years ago, their posters fought back and forth saying not trade "x" because of Pujols' contract being up in two years and there was a "chance" he might walk. Hehe


    Sorry, really random and probably a waste of a thread but I thought it was a funny correlation between Pujols and Votto and you guys would appreciate it. Merry Christmas.
    Not sure if that was pointed at me, but I've nver felt that the Reds should hold back Yonder (or anyone) in fear of losing two years rom now. I've always said that the Reds FO should in no means go forward or look to the future with the dea that JV will be here beyond 2013 (if it happens? Great put don't plan like it will). I've also said that if they ever considered trading Joey, this offseason would have been the time for maxmum return.

    The fact that he's still here and they've made dels to leverage him while he lasts by upgrading the talent around him is great, IMO.

    And a Felice Navidad right back atcha! And everyone here.

  4. #3
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,670

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    The current era (including Jocketty's time) Cards have always clearly been about improving their major league product, with counting on a slew of prospects to all turn into productive, above average major leaguers all at the same time never being on the radar.

    The Reds started to look like they were going to test the latter model, but now it appears that they are all about improving their current major league product.

    In answer to the question, I'm sure there has been quite the debate about the day Albert turns into a pumpkin. Now they can start keeping score on who gets to say I told you so.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  5. #4
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    I wonder, if on some St. Louis Cardinals forum, similar to this one, two years ago, their posters fought back and forth saying not trade "x" because of Pujols' contract being up in two years and there was a "chance" he might walk. Hehe
    I'll tell you this, you never want to go to a Cards forum because of all the foolishness there. For a while most of the threads in most of the forums I visited were "fire TLR" or "Whitey didn't do it this way!". You are much better here. The Reds Zone is one of the smartest forums I have been on and would much rather talk about baseball here than talk to it with my fellow Cards fans in those "forums".
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  6. #5
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    I think the Central is wide open now. Obviously, the Reds, Brewers, and Cards will battle it out.

    Brewers lose Fielder permanently, and possibly Braun for a third of the season. But they still have the pitching staff, starting and bullpen, to stay in it.

    Cardinals lose Pujols permanently, but are reigning world champs. Yes, they are getting old. They may also do like the Reds did after winning the division in 2010, and take a year off. Seems like players sometimes let themselves go after winning something big. What will Wainwright give them? What impact will it have losing Pujols, and will Beltran cover the loss enough?

    Reds probably have the most potential for upswing as the young lineup continues to mature. But then again, that is what management hoped for in 2011 and it didn't pan out. They've actually addressed some needs this offseason and hopefully continue to do so.

    I don't think the Reds are the favorites. But I do think it's wide open.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  7. #6
    -The Insider-
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,871

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Corkedbat, I wasn't pointing at anyone nor did I mean it as a swipe at anyone. I meant it extremely kiddingly and did not mean it in bad taste whatsoever. I promise. I just thought it was similar situations and just thought it was humorous. I did not mean to offend anyone at all by that post and I love it here.

  8. #7
    Member muddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    1,980

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'll tell you this, you never want to go to a Cards forum because of all the foolishness there. For a while most of the threads in most of the forums I visited were "fire TLR" or "Whitey didn't do it this way!". You are much better here. The Reds Zone is one of the smartest forums I have been on and would much rather talk about baseball here than talk to it with my fellow Cards fans in those "forums".
    Back in the day, before the Reds were affiliated with the Mudcats, I used to hang out on a Cardinals forum from time to time. I never had any problems there until I made the grave mistake of supporting Jack Clark's comments that called out Mr. McGwire for his less than ethical behavior during his playing days relative to PED's or whatever acronym you want to give them. These comments were in response to McGwire's hiring as hitting coach. Herzog was also outspoken on the topic as well. Clark was soundly booed on the Cardinal Caravan stops as a result. The mentality on that board was, McGwire wasn't doing anything anyone else hadn't already done. His transgressions were the equivalent of the "greenies" players took years back. The board chimed in and accused Herzog of being a quitter. Three WS appearances and they don't like you anymore!?!?

  9. #8
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    Back in the day, before the Reds were affiliated with the Mudcats, I used to hang out on a Cardinals forum from time to time. I never had any problems there until I made the grave mistake of supporting Jack Clark's comments that called out Mr. McGwire for his less than ethical behavior during his playing days relative to PED's or whatever acronym you want to give them. These comments were in response to McGwire's hiring as hitting coach. Herzog was also outspoken on the topic as well. Clark was soundly booed on the Cardinal Caravan stops as a result. The mentality on that board was, McGwire wasn't doing anything anyone else hadn't already done. His transgressions were the equivalent of the "greenies" players took years back. The board chimed in and accused Herzog of being a quitter. Three WS appearances and they don't like you anymore!?!?
    I remember that issue. It is quite funny looking back at it all. On those boards, if you don't tow the company line, you will get yelled at. For years, I have been criticized for some of the comments I have made in some of those boards such as calling the organization cheap at times, amongst other things. Really it's amazing some of the stupidity I have ran into there. I know it's not policy to talk about other forums here but even when compared to other baseball forums non-Cardinals related, this forum continues to be at the top of the food chain as far as thought and intellectual input on a given issue. All the members here are lucky to belong to a board that actually discusses things in a civil manor.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  10. #9
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    There is also the opposite end of that spectrum on McGwire, at a forum like birdsonthebat. I've seen his name dragged through the mud many times at that place.
    Last edited by The Operator; 12-23-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: i r good at grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  11. #10
    Member Strikes Out Looking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,469

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'll tell you this, you never want to go to a Cards forum because of all the foolishness there. For a while most of the threads in most of the forums I visited were "fire TLR" or "Whitey didn't do it this way!". You are much better here. The Reds Zone is one of the smartest forums I have been on and would much rather talk about baseball here than talk to it with my fellow Cards fans in those "forums".
    But the National media says Cardinal fans are the smartest in the whole world.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

  12. #11
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    But the National media says Cardinal fans are the smartest in the whole world.
    When Jack Buck died, the whole smartest fans and best fans in baseball mantra died with him. I said this in another thread about a year ago but he set the tone of Cardinals nation. Most of Cardinals nation followed his lead as to what was right with baseball and what was considered common decency in baseball. That is out the window now.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  13. #12
    Member muddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    1,980

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    I still like to listen to Mike Shannon. We tuned in to him for the W.S.

  14. #13
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I still like to listen to Mike Shannon. We tuned in to him for the W.S.
    I agree there. He makes me laugh all the time. Heck, he sounds drunk most of the time, haha
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  15. #14
    Member muddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, N.C.
    Posts
    1,980

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I agree there. He makes me laugh all the time. Heck, he sounds drunk most of the time, haha
    I've never said that out loud but I've always thought the same thing. He does from time to time encourage his listeners to, "pop open a frosty one."

  16. #15
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: Random thought about the Cardinals

    Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    I've never said that out loud but I've always thought the same thing. He does from time to time encourage his listeners to, "pop open a frosty one."
    He is just a well loved guy here in St. Louis. No he isn't polished but his stories are great and you can't help but get enjoyment from his broadcasts. He isn't a Vin Scully but Mike Shannon will be missed once his days are finished in the broadcast booth.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25