Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Does Votto Want?

What Does Votto Want?

Just throwing these questions out there:

What does Votto want?

The Reds control him for just two more years. What is he looking for beyond that? Does he just want Pujols-like money? In that case, he won't get it in Cincinnati.

Or does he want competitive money on a team that looks like it's taking necessary steps to field a winner? Does he want to see the efforts of the organization?

What say you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Does Votto Want?

My guess would be he wants both, which he could have by going to a bigger market team like New York, Boston, Chicago, etc.

I am willing to be right now votto and his agent don't know what he wants. I think they will wait and see what the market is like when their contract negotiations come up in FA.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I am willing to be right now votto and his agent don't know what he wants. I think they will wait and see what the market is like when their contract negotiations come up in FA.
    This.

He seems like a person that doesn't want to commit really to anything. He's probably afraid of regretting a long term deal, and feeling stuck. I don't think he wants out of Cincinnati, but, I don't think he wants to tell the team, Yeah, I'll stay for 200 years, and by year 100, he would feel burnt out and stuck in a situation he can't get out of.

That's just the impression I get from his interviews. I wouldn't be surprised if he never signs that 8 year contract. I would expect something more along the lines of Arroyo contracts (with more $).
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

I'm not a man of many words. Read my posts, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people are Optimists (They see the glass 1/2 full).
    Others are Pessimists (They see the glass 1/2 empty).
    Me, I'm a Realist. 1/2 empty IS 1/2 full.

I think he wants as much as he can get, and the best way to get it is to wait until he hits free agency and let the bidding begin.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I think he wants as much as he can get, and the best way to get it is to wait until he hits free agency and let the bidding begin.
    Very well could be. I wonder why he didn't do that instead of signing for three years with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    Very well could be. I wonder why he didn't do that instead of signing for three years with the Reds.
    That 3 year deal didn't cost him anything because he was under control through abritration years up to that point. It basically gave him security in case of an injury or something, but didn't effect when he would be eligible to hit free agency.

Right now I tend to think the Votto wants his cake and to eat it too, which I guess is what every player wants when seeking a new contract.

The big thing I believe Cincy has going for them is that it is relatively a low key city, and Joey seems to be a low key type person. Anywhere he's going to get Pujols type money he's going to be under the microscope when it comes to the media, which doesn't seem to fit his personality. Maybe in the end the money will be too much to deny, but I question how he'd do in a major market.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I used to think that if the Reds advanced to the World Series that that fact might entice him to stay. But after seeing Pujols walk after winning a world series with the Cards, I no longer think that has any validity.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

This one seems pretty easy - the most lucrative contract possible.

In all likelihood Joey Votto is going to have only one opportunity to sign a mega-contract and I fully expect him to take the best deal on the table. While you hear a lot of players pay lip service to wanting to go play for a winner or for the team that made them feel the most wanted, it almost invariably comes down dollars and cents.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    This one seems pretty easy - the most lucrative contract possible.

In all likelihood Joey Votto is going to have only one opportunity to sign a mega-contract and I fully expect him to take the best deal on the table. While you hear a lot of players pay lip service to wanting to go play for a winner or for the team that made them feel the most wanted, it almost invariably comes down dollars and cents.
    I think you are right. Joe and Mo'. Mo' money.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Does the signing bonus count against the payroll?

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    Does the signing bonus count against the payroll?
    It doesn't matter because there is no salary cap. Think about it in business terms. If the club has a finite amount to spend on every single operating cost and still turn a profit, a one million dollar signing bonus is the same as one million dollars worth of front office personnel salaries or one million
    dollars worth of grass seed.

To further answer your question, though, if a team says they have an $100 million payroll budget, that generally does not include things like the cost of the rights to negotiate for Yu Darvish, Joey Votto's signing bonus, or money still owed to Bobby Bonilla from a contract he signed in 1993.
    Last edited by OGB; 12-23-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

That's what I thought; my question was would 8 year / $180M be something they would both be interested in with $20M signing bonus over the life of the contract. So the AAV would be $20M but it equates into $22.5 a year which is what Mark Teixeira makes. I think it really comes down to what Prince Fielder gets before an extension is brought up and IF he gets $25.5M a year which is what he is asking then the Reds have no chance.

Since when do baseball contracts have signing bonuses? Since all the money in garanteed, I didn't think you ever really saw that. In football it's a way of ensuring that the players gets a certian amount of money since the contract can be ended at any time by the team.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?