Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: So now to left field

-The Insider-

So now to left field

With Sappelt being shipped out, it's going to be Heisey or a free agent signing. Here are some names left that strike my interest.

(In no particular order)

Juan Pierre
    Cody Ross
    Raul Ibanez
    Johnny Damon
    Rick Ankiel
    Coco Crisp
    Andruw Jones

And I know everyone wants Luke Scott but I am not a fan.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So now to left field

On the surface, I could live with CoCo Crisp. I haven't paid much attention to him the last year or so but I feel like he could be a good addition unless I'm missing something.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

That list makes me miss Jonny Gomes at least he would be cheaper

-The Insider-

Can someone please explain to me why everyone wants Luke Scott? He is not that good in my opinion. He has only hit .280 once and has a career .240 average vs left-handers (which is what everyone says we need.) I just don't get it. Someone blow me away with stats please.

I get the sense, especially given the reported trade for Marshall, that a trade for a LF isn't out of the question, which would greatly expand the list of possibilities.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Juan Pierre
    Cody Ross
    Raul Ibanez
    Johnny Damon
    Rick Ankiel
    Coco Crisp
    Andruw Jones

Are any of these guys any better than Heisey and/or Todd Frazier at this point? Especially for the money they are going to cost?

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why everyone wants Luke Scott? He is not that good in my opinion. He has only hit .280 once and has a career .240 average vs left-handers (which is what everyone says we need.) I just don't get it. Someone blow me away with stats please.
    Who says we need a guy to hit left handers? Look at the stats. The Reds had the highest OPS in the NL againstr LHP. The Reds need a guy to hit against RHP and Scott has an .859 Career OPS against them.

The Reds have a roster full of lefty killers (Phillips, Stubbs, Hanigan, Rolen, Bruce, Votto, Cairo probably Mesoraco, Frazier and Cozart). Against RHP its Votto, Bruce, Francisco and Heisey and the rest aren't so hot.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Who says we need a guy to hit left handers? Look at the stats. The Reds had the highest OPS in the NL againstr LHP. The Reds need a guy to hit against RHP and Scott has an .859 Career OPS against them.

The Reds have a roster full of lefty killers (Phillips, Stubbs, Hanigan, Rolen, Bruce, Votto, Cairo probably Mesoraco, Frazier and Cozart). Against RHP its Votto, Bruce, Francisco and Heisey and the rest aren't so hot.
    I meant right-handers. My bad.

I hope Walt is inquiring about Carlos Quentin for LF. Adding an .838 OPS in LF would be mighty nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Ibanez could be worth spending a few million on a one year pact, I'd be willing to look into it if I were Walt.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

It all depends on the contract length and value. I'd take a look at any of those guys with the exception of Ankiel if you can get them on a one year deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Crisp wouldn't be horrid, as he may enjoy the bump in leagues, in home parks, and in a good lineup. Damon might, too, though he's second choice because of poor defense.

Andruw Jones might also be a fun choice. He'd K 200 times in full-time work, but might also hit 45 HR. Or, as part of a platoon with Heisey, they might combine for that. (I keep thinking Jones has at least one more monster season in him-- a 260/360/500 kind of monster. The longer his career goes, the more unlikely that seems.)

Between these three options, there's not more than a few runs difference either way. I'd go with the cheapest, though Jocketty may want the surest thing. (Which, IMO, would Crisp.)

Heisey vs RH's in 330 AB's

.288 .346 .539 .885

weird, but i can live with that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The last time Coco had a season as good as Stubbs' 2010 was six years ago. Why exactly does anyone want him? no power, can't find first base with a map and compass, wrong side of 30 and he's brittle.

Um, I'll take my chances with Bruce, Heisey and Stubbs and have the best defensive OF in baseball.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

To be fair, isn't Coco a better fielder than Heisey?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?