Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer: Down to Cordero or Madson?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Closer: Down to Cordero or Madson?

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the Reds will re-sign Coco at a relatively cheap rate (maybe 1-year, $5 million) or make a big splash and sign the best FA closer left on the market, Ryan Madson.

There are other options out there like Brad Lidge, but I bet the Reds either re-sign Cordero or use the money they have left to sign Madson. One big key is whether there are other teams actively looking for a closer. How many competitors do the Reds have on the open market? It feels like a buyer's market and the Reds should end up getting a decent bargain, but I could be wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Closer: Down to Cordero or Madson?

You have to think Cordero is going to come back. Seems inevitable at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Boston is the only other team looking for a closer (until or if someone gets injured before opening day). I'd love to see Walt get Madson, I just fear that Cordero is bound to regress due to age very soon, and when it happens, it's going to be Danny Graves meltdown bad.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I don't mind a Cordero return as long as it's one year. Anything more I fear is hanging an anchor on the bullpen

My problem with Cordereo was the mostly the salary. Have him at 4 million on 1 year deal and I'm ok with that.

High five!

Cordero's meltdown has already occurred. It just hasn't showed up in his ERA due to an unsustainable BABIP and small sample size.

I'd let someone else blaze that trail.

Really not a fan of more Cordero.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

neither. Madson costs too much. Cordero's 2011 was a mirage.

I think Heisey is a fine 4th outfielder. Heisey/Frazier just doesn't look good for left field for me. I think those guys both have their uses but we need more in left. So I'd rather Walt fixed LF first. Right now Marshall or Chapman could close just as good or better than any free agent except Madson.

plus if anyone but us signs Cordero we get a sandwich pick, We will need it after losing 6 (!) prospects this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    neither. Madson costs too much. Cordero's 2011 was a mirage.
    I'm in full agreement with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    plus if anyone but us signs Cordero we get a sandwich pick, We will need it after losing 6 (!) prospects this week.
    We offered arbitration? Or did we not have to?

I hear you on Coco. Not a big fan and I'm convinced he's near the end of the road. His K rate has dropped significantly which is a glaring red flag IMO. However, one year at a "discounted" rate might be what ends up happening. I didn't realize the Reds got a draft pick if another team signed Coco though. (If true.)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    We offered arbitration? Or did we not have to?

I hear you on Coco. Not a big fan and I'm convinced he's near the end of the road. His K rate has dropped significantly which is a glaring red flag IMO. However, one year at a "discounted" rate might be what ends up happening. I didn't realize the Reds got a draft pick if another team signed Coco though. (If true.)
    We get a draft pick regardless of the arbitration issue. We did n ot offer, but get it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Cordero's meltdown has already occurred. It just hasn't showed up in his ERA due to an unsustainable BABIP and small sample size.

I'd let someone else blaze that trail.

This.

I usually don't like to pay relievers big bucks, but Madson is young and very effective. He and Marshall at the end of the bullpen would bring back memories of the Nasty Boys. If the other team isn't leading by the end of the seventh inning, game over.

I think that might actually be more productive than spending the same money on a left fielder, based on what's left.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We get a draft pick regardless of the arbitration issue. We did n ot offer, but get it anyway.
    Thank you. For some reason I was under the misconception that we had to offer arbitration in order to receive a compensatory draft pick. Maybe it's a rule change. Or perhaps I just had my head up my rear end.

Turn Off Ads?